Jobs For Farang (aussie) Doctor

Hi everyone. I've just asked the same question on the medical forum but thought I'd post here too to increase my chances of some good answers. I've been short-listed for a (non-medical) job in Bangkok but it doesn't seem too hopeful that my partner, a doctor, would find employment as well. Does anybody have any ideas on whether an Australian doctor who speaks no Thai would be able to work in a Bangkok clinic or hospital? He works in emergency medicine. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks, Sheila.

Hi Sheila,

Hi everyone. I've just asked the same question on the medical forum but thought I'd post here too to increase my chances of some good answers. I've been short-listed for a (non-medical) job in Bangkok but it doesn't seem too hopeful that my partner, a doctor, would find employment as well. Does anybody have any ideas on whether an Australian doctor who speaks no Thai would be able to work in a Bangkok clinic or hospital? He works in emergency medicine. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks, Sheila.

No, unfortunately he wouldnt be allowed to practice here as the Thai regulations stipulate that in order to work as a doctor in Thailand one must pass the Thai medical board exams which are all in Thai plus I know that there are a lot more stipulations too on becoming a doctor here that I cant think of right now, hopefully someone else will have the links to the actual rules that are written down.

Sorry I couldnt be any more help.

Falcon

Thanks, Falcon. That's pretty much what I'd come to think after Googling around. Such a shame I won't be able to come and live in Thailand now!

But maybe you can open a clinic? I recall seeing a Western doctor with a clinic somewhere I think around Bkok. How did he do it?

Thanks, Falcon. That's pretty much what I'd come to think after Googling around. Such a shame I won't be able to come and live in Thailand now!

But maybe you can open a clinic? I recall seeing a Western doctor with a clinic somewhere I think around Bkok. How did he do it?

to the best of my knowledge only one western medical doctor exists in Thailand who managed to pass all examinations in thai, got the approbation from the relevant ministry and runs a clinic in Pattaya (i doubt that he owns the enterprise). it is Dr. Olivier Meyer, a swiss national.

to the best of my knowledge only one western medical doctor exists in Thailand who managed to pass all examinations in thai, got the approbation from the relevant ministry and runs a clinic in Pattaya (i doubt that he owns the enterprise). it is Dr. Olivier Meyer, a swiss national.

There is also Dr. Philippe Balankura (Thai/Swiss) who speaks his native French and works at Bumrungrad International as well as in his own clinic (in the morning) at Soi Naret, close to Bangkok District Office.

Anyone know anything about Doctors Without Borders? Might be an option OP.

A disaster has to be declared (tsunami, earthquake..) for them to be called and allowed into the zone.

Then, they are subject to strict regulations again - Burma did not allow them at all last year, in the wake of Katrina they were allowed for only 2 weeks into US.

Phuket International had (has ?) an Australian doctor, Peter Davidson (or similar). Try ringing him , he is a good bloke and doesn't mind a beer or a game of cricket. They also have a German doctor who dresses all in black, marches around the hospital, rides a Harley wearing a First world war German helmet, and is employed there despite being clearly insane.

So there is hope......

I can confirm, Dr Balankura is an excellent Dr, but I was not aware he had his own clinic as well.

For Ladies there is Dr. Donna Maria Robinson (English, Spanish, French & Thai), excellent Dr as well. :)

There is also Dr. Philippe Balankura (Thai/Swiss) who speaks his native French and works at Bumrungrad International as well as in his own clinic (in the morning) at Soi Naret, close to Bangkok District Office.

• 1 month later...

There are a number of opportunities, and you are more likely to get a response direct from the Hospital, try contacting the Administration Head at more swankiest of hospitals.

Also, you may want to look at the Pharma companies, they will employ Doctors, usually with specific experience within a chosen field, oncology etc.

Unlikely these positions are advertised