Would You Live In Chumphon?

jatiedt

Got a few friends living in Chumpon. They all have hot showers, fridges and everything else you mention. It's certainly not a village. I visit there as often as I can - it's a bit of "real Thailand", a far cry from Phuket. As for living there..... Possibly gonna move there in a few years

i just visited Lang Suan in the Chumphon provence. I wasn't too impressed with the prices of everything. People say phuket is expensive, but the price of the fruit and most other food was about the same as going to a thai restaurant or going to the local markets. You need transportation to get everywhere anyway, and the motorbikes were the same price new as in phuket town honda dealership. Maybe the housing is cheaper, i didn't have time to shop around for apartments, but perhaps chumphon town is a bit more up to standards. My CAT CDMA internet worked well on the high speed network, though which was surprising. Lucky for me, as the guesthouses give you a blank stare when you mention internet.

One thing I learned though throughout thailand (well anywhere really): CHECK everything out the first time. Both guesthouses we stayed at said they had hot water, but then (after the fact), it's clearly not working. And they'll refuse to give you a new room or fix it. I tell my thai girlfriend to always check everything out, but she either wants to be shy for the rest of her life or wants headaches for everything. It takes 3 minutes to walk into the room and flip all the light switches, flush the toilet, turn on the shower head, tv and air condition to ensure they are working.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

point noted on sandflies, i have never had the pleasure of experiencing them, i have been lucky i guess,

Yep, I got bitten by one in the Caribbean 15 years ago, made me want to cut my foot off! Still got the scar. Nasty little f***ers

crush garlic 3-4 gloves, brown vinegar 200ml and olive oil 50ml, mix all ingredients in a spray bottle, no more sandflies. also this well give you a great suntan.

luap

crush garlic 3-4 gloves, brown vinegar 200ml and olive oil 50ml, mix all ingredients in a spray bottle, no more sandflies. also this well give you a great suntan.

luap

If you do this then you will have a tough time keeping the Italian tourists from biting you :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I have officially spent the night in Chumphon. After travelling throughout the Chumphon town (or at least a lot of it), I decided to settle on Thun Wha laen beach. I stay at the Albatross hotel. They have the 350-550 fan/air con rooms, with hot water, internet, and mini balcony and is about 300 meters from the beach. you can also get cheap monthly rate of 4000 / 5000 everything include. There are a couple of other guesthouses also with similar daily pricing, but not sure the weekly structure. Certainly not anything like Patong / Kata / Rawai beach in Phuket. Very quiet, yet chumphon town has the Makro / Tesco Lotus / Carrefour if you need it.

I'm considering moving down here. But it takes time to look for the right spot. that has everything you want.

Edit: there was another beach we went to near the Tourist Pier. I forgot the name. It's about 15 km from Chumphon Town. But there was one guesthouse that had a similar deal, called Siritip Guesthouse. They were the only ones willing to give a monthly price of about 5500 and the daily price was 500 with everything included, including air cond. All the other guesthouses on the beach regardless of how empty they were, wanted 500-700 baht, and was missing something like hot water or internet. The only ones that were taken were the beach-facing rooms. 077 521024

Edited by 4evermaat

• 7 months later...

I have officially spent the night in Chumphon. After travelling throughout the Chumphon town (or at least a lot of it), I decided to settle on Thun Wha laen beach. I stay at the Albatross hotel. They have the 350-550 fan/air con rooms, with hot water, internet, and mini balcony and is about 300 meters from the beach. you can also get cheap monthly rate of 4000 / 5000 everything include. There are a couple of other guesthouses also with similar daily pricing, but not sure the weekly structure. Certainly not anything like Patong / Kata / Rawai beach in Phuket. Very quiet, yet chumphon town has the Makro / Tesco Lotus / Carrefour if you need it.

I'm considering moving down here. But it takes time to look for the right spot. that has everything you want.

Edit: there was another beach we went to near the Tourist Pier. I forgot the name. It's about 15 km from Chumphon Town. But there was one guesthouse that had a similar deal, called Siritip Guesthouse. They were the only ones willing to give a monthly price of about 5500 and the daily price was 500 with everything included, including air cond. All the other guesthouses on the beach regardless of how empty they were, wanted 500-700 baht, and was missing something like hot water or internet. The only ones that were taken were the beach-facing rooms. 077 521024

what is the cost of live here is it cheaper then say koh samui,phuket? looking for somewhere to stay with my wife for 6 months?

what is the cost of live here is it cheaper then say koh samui,phuket? looking for somewhere to stay with my wife for 6 months?

You know its funny. When I stayed in patong, i stayed in royal paradise complex with thai people and it was about 7000 baht / mo for a large studio room with air cond, and carrefour (big c) / junceleon was right up the street. Phuket town had the larger Big C / Tesco lotus for a larger selection. Not bad and you were "in the action zone" for the ladies.

You mentioned you were coming with your wife, so perhaps being away from the action is better suited for you. In chumphon town, there is soy 4 (near a small gas station) that has several 2-3 bedroom houses a lot of foreigners like to stay there. There is also another place about 2km from Big C called SunnyView. Houses between 4-15000 baht/mo and are unfurnished, but more western.

There were some . if you are serious about staying in town, you have to literally take 2-3 days and just drive a motorbike around and see what is available. Thung Wha Laen Beach has plenty of empty bungalos, just have to look around. Seabeach Bungalo and the one next to it have one of the cheaper rooms, but still good. Nice and quiet out here. It seems like all the new apartments are booked quite quickly. (you get more for less or the same you were already paying at the older apt?).

You know its funny. When I stayed in patong, i stayed in royal paradise complex with thai people and it was about 7000 baht / mo for a large studio room with air cond, and carrefour (big c) / junceleon was right up the street. Phuket town had the larger Big C / Tesco lotus for a larger selection. Not bad and you were "in the action zone" for the ladies.

You mentioned you were coming with your wife, so perhaps being away from the action is better suited for you. In chumphon town, there is soy 4 (near a small gas station) that has several 2-3 bedroom houses a lot of foreigners like to stay there. There is also another place about 2km from Big C called SunnyView. Houses between 4-15000 baht/mo and are unfurnished, but more western.

There were some . if you are serious about staying in town, you have to literally take 2-3 days and just drive a motorbike around and see what is available. Thung Wha Laen Beach has plenty of empty bungalos, just have to look around. Seabeach Bungalo and the one next to it have one of the cheaper rooms, but still good. Nice and quiet out here. It seems like all the new apartments are booked quite quickly. (you get more for less or the same you were already paying at the older apt?).

cheers 4evermaat i might just do that yes girly bar is not for us but still like a little night life.we will only need a 1 bedroom

cheers 4evermaat i might just do that yes girly bar is not for us but still like a little night life.we will only need a 1 bedroom

Then the bungalos on the beach should be fine between 4-10000/mo. They just got done building a new bungalo set between Ok Mai and Seabeach bungalo. Has a swimming pool. I'm guessing 12,000 baht / mo? Maybe they do not have monthly rates? Oh well. Plenty to choose from, but seabeach bungalo is good, next door. If you want something with a kitchen (gas) , on the side road adjacent to Ok Mai / Pirates Cafe is some townhouses 12,000 / mo.

Internet is a toss up betwen CAT CDMA and ToT. I recommend both. Tot has only 1 year contracts, so appx 8500 upfront with the modem for 6Mb down / 1Mb up (they only give me 1/2 Mb up....wonder if I should complain?). Cat is 3Mb down / 1Mb up. There speeds went down about 4 months ago for a few months but are back up again. Maybe some of my complaints went through?

If you want kittens, the Good Bar is pumping out litters. Plus my lady cat has already suited up and is expecting in about 30 days.

Then the bungalos on the beach should be fine between 4-10000/mo. They just got done building a new bungalo set between Ok Mai and Seabeach bungalo. Has a swimming pool. I'm guessing 12,000 baht / mo? Maybe they do not have monthly rates? Oh well. Plenty to choose from, but seabeach bungalo is good, next door. If you want something with a kitchen (gas) , on the side road adjacent to Ok Mai / Pirates Cafe is some townhouses 12,000 / mo.

Internet is a toss up betwen CAT CDMA and ToT. I recommend both. Tot has only 1 year contracts, so appx 8500 upfront with the modem for 6Mb down / 1Mb up (they only give me 1/2 Mb up....wonder if I should complain?). Cat is 3Mb down / 1Mb up. There speeds went down about 4 months ago for a few months but are back up again. Maybe some of my complaints went through?

If you want kittens, the Good Bar is pumping out litters. Plus my lady cat has already suited up and is expecting in about 30 days.

Thank 4evermaat but i think as we are they for only 6 months its unfair to have any animals really but thanks anyway,as said only need a 1 bedroom bungalow with a small kitchen so we can cook meals and so on,or a BBQ? and a tv of cause but nothing flash,

do the bar have wifi would be nice to get away the internet of a while to but nice to know if we want it we can get it.and a scooter is a must to so we can get about.

Thanks paul

Edited by doingok

Thank 4evermaat but i think as we are they for only 6 months its unfair to have any animals really but thanks anyway,as said only need a 1 bedroom bungalow with a small kitchen so we can cook meals and so on,or a BBQ? and a tv of cause but nothing flash,

do the bar have wifi would be nice to get away the internet of a while to but nice to know if we want it we can get it.and a scooter is a must to so we can get about.

Thanks paul

Good bar and a couple of other bars have wifi internet. There is an internet shop further down past Sa pli post office. Best to have CAT if you need something consistently. You'll have to "make your own kitchen" for the smaller bungalos. The townhouses or the houses in town or away from the beach were the only ones i knew of that had some resemblance of a "kitchen". Bring your own flattop grill or portable gas burner (that you buy in the store. You'll see when you come. You can rent motorbike from OK mai . If renting from chumphon town, Farang Bar or FAME tour. Fame is the same place you will do your visa runs also. You will see many falangs there. There is a yellow pickup bus for about 20-30 baht that can bring you into town. The first stop should be at the Tourist Information Center, right at the 4 way intersection in town (road down night market/ocean mall / AEON atm, road to train station, road to thung wua laen beach, road to fame/bangkok bank, kasikorn bank. Pick up a map there and she speaks acceptable english.

Power goes out near the beach about 6 times/mo for anywhere from 20 min to 3 hours, usually after heavy rain. Chumphon town doesn't seem to have that problem.

Thanks paul

Good bar and a couple of other bars have wifi internet. There is an internet shop further down past Sa pli post office. Best to have CAT if you need something consistently. You'll have to "make your own kitchen" for the smaller bungalos. The townhouses or the houses in town or away from the beach were the only ones i knew of that had some resemblance of a "kitchen". Bring your own flattop grill or portable gas burner (that you buy in the store. You'll see when you come. You can rent motorbike from OK mai . If renting from chumphon town, Farang Bar or FAME tour. Fame is the same place you will do your visa runs also. You will see many falangs there. There is a yellow pickup bus for about 20-30 baht that can bring you into town. The first stop should be at the Tourist Information Center, right at the 4 way intersection in town (road down night market/ocean mall / AEON atm, road to train station, road to thung wua laen beach, road to fame/bangkok bank, kasikorn bank. Pick up a map there and she speaks acceptable english.

Power goes out near the beach about 6 times/mo for anywhere from 20 min to 3 hours, usually after heavy rain. Chumphon town doesn't seem to have that problem.

cheers 4evermaat sounds a lot cheaper then koh samui though you said the fruit was expensive?

cheers 4evermaat sounds a lot cheaper then koh samui though you said the fruit was expensive?

the fruit is the same or cheaper in most cases. Also depends on who you buy from. That is consistent with the rest of thailand. For example, Mangosteen is appx 7-12 bt / kilo in Lang Suan. But in patong beach, you'd be lucky to get new ones for under 30 baht/kilo (in-season).

the fruit is the same or cheaper in most cases. Also depends on who you buy from. That is consistent with the rest of thailand. For example, Mangosteen is appx 7-12 bt / kilo in Lang Suan. But in patong beach, you'd be lucky to get new ones for under 30 baht/kilo (in-season).

its a toss up really the only difference is quite to busy.girly bar to no girly bar weather will be the same as samui yes? and both about the same price.

cheers 4evermat

point noted on sandflies, i have never had the pleasure of experiencing them, i have been lucky i guess,

Yep, I got bitten by one in the Caribbean 15 years ago, made me want to cut my foot off! Still got the scar. Nasty little f***ers

luap

Baist regularly, turn over every twenty minutes and allow an extra 20 minutes when golden brown :lol:

• 9 years later...
  • 4 months later...

A few years ago my wife and I drove south along the coast from Prachuap and stayed in a nice beach front resort with some separate cabins. It was about 13 km north of Chumphon, I can't remember the name. We went into Chumphon the next day and had a good look around. We went to a tourist attraction that had something to do with the first Admiral of the Thai navy. From that location we were able to see a beautiful beach slightly to the south. Does anyone know the name of that beach? Thanks in advance for any help.

4 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

A few years ago my wife and I drove south along the coast from Prachuap and stayed in a nice beach front resort with some separate cabins. It was about 13 km north of Chumphon, I can't remember the name. We went into Chumphon the next day and had a good look around. We went to a tourist attraction that had something to do with the first Admiral of the Thai navy. From that location we were able to see a beautiful beach slightly to the south. Does anyone know the name of that beach? Thanks in advance for any help.

Could it have been this one ? Always stop here when going South or North, and this is a place I coud had a holiday home 

Festet knappenål
https://goo.gl/maps/iYf37hjc7rYeyX1s9

On 4/3/2021 at 5:13 PM, Tagged said:

Could it have been this one ? Always stop here when going South or North, and this is a place I coud had a holiday home 

Festet knappenål
https://goo.gl/maps/iYf37hjc7rYeyX1s9

It could be, all I really know is we were able to see the beach from the, what I will refer to as a combination Wat, museum and naval memorial. It was on a list that my wife said we should see. It was on a hill overlooking the sea and the road that led to the beach was lined with palm trees. I did find the name of the beach where we stayed 13 km north of town. I'll butcher the spelling Theung Wa Laen. Sorry about that, thankyou for your reply.

28 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

It could be, all I really know is we were able to see the beach from the, what I will refer to as a combination Wat, museum and naval memorial. It was on a list that my wife said we should see. It was on a hill overlooking the sea and the road that led to the beach was lined with palm trees. I did find the name of the beach where we stayed 13 km north of town. I'll butcher the spelling Theung Wa Laen. Sorry about that, thankyou for your reply.

My view from Pirates Terrace, nice restaurant and currant room with view. Good breakfest, coffe, pizza, burgers and thai food

2DC2412B-F186-41C2-A7B4-3E02E2AD7A31.jpeg

Sai Ree beach is its name. Chumphon is laid back, not a tourist town. Not many tourist attractions here, has nice beaches, an international school and a couple of private schools which are very good. Great restaurants. Has a small expat community here around 300 people, great diving and snorkling to be had here

Thats about it for Chumphon. Oh there is a facebook page for expats but not much on it https://www.facebook.com/groups/1333712086758165

Google Chumphon and lots of info comes up

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Sai Ree beach is its name. Chumphon is laid back, not a tourist town. Not many tourist attractions here, has nice beaches, an international school and a couple of private schools which are very good. Great restaurants. Has a small expat community here around 300 people, great diving and snorkling to be had here

Thats about it for Chumphon. Oh there is a facebook page for expats but not much on it https://www.facebook.com/groups/1333712086758165

Google Chumphon and lots of info comes up

Not to forget Old Time Cafe, good food and beer and  live band as well? Not sure now, but when we have come past, they had. 

https://goo.gl/maps/uw5YtLLvPNs3gXPQA

29 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Yes Old Time Cafe still going strong, I think they have open a place on thebeach as well now, same name as their cafe

Glad to hear, nice place to drop by when passing, same as Pirate Terrace. Lovely stretch from Ha Hin hugging the beaches with the bike. 

• Like 1