Stewing Apples

egg

l dont know if this is of any help to anybody ,, but if you like stewed apples , and find apples a tad to expensive to stew ,,, try using Ju-Jup (not sure on spelling and dont know the Thai name) ,,,they look like small granny smith apples ,,,, a little bit of sugar and some whole cloves and off you go ,, good for pies ,, crumble ,, strudel ,,, etc

cheers

egg

I believe that the fruit being referred to is the "jujube" jujubes come in different sized ranging from olive size to small apple. not to be confused with the candy of the same name. an image search on google using "jujubes fruit" should get you lots of images. the small ones are often mottled and bear a very strong resemblance to fresh olives. i just saw some of these locally a few days ago.

Any chance of a picture so we can track down the Thai name? I make quite a lot of things with apples and at 9 baht each they are a bit pricey.

Sorry Gippy ,,, camera and scanner both dead ,,, but l think Cozumelito gave you the best advice ,,,now is the season for them ,, and just look for something that looks like a small granny smith apple,, even though they are smaller , l think they are easier to work with than apples ,, having only 1 seed in the centre and no core to worry about ,,, wife just tells me the Thai name is "pudsa" ,,, if you can find them l am sure you wont be disappointed ,,,,,,, good luck

cheers

egg

• 3 weeks later...