Apartment Keys

ChouDoufu

i just rented a condo apartment, six-month lease. the agent was not in CM the day before i moved, so i picked up the key at the condo

reception desk after the cleaning crew finished.

the agent informs me that i have the only set of keys. she wants me to make copies and to give her a set, since as owner's agent she

is required to keep a set.

i can declline to hand over the keys, or do so after changing the locks.

anyway, what's standard procedure here? is it normal for landlord or agent to keep a set of keys for a rental unit?

does that indicate they have the right to wander in anytime they feel the urge to inspect the premises?

how will that affect any insurance claim when there are multiple sets of keys not in my possession?

First rule of moving into a new apartment...CHANGE ALL THE LOCKS. You have no idea who holds duplicates, no matter what they claim.

A landlord, or landlord's agent is entitled to inspect the property at a mutally convenient time.

Her intensions are probably good, but maybe not aware or respectful of the privacy and security standards that you and I would expect.

I agree with MJ Man; I would probably just give her the old keys, then change the locks and don't even discuss it, you will probably just create a misunderstanding. Or if you want to comply then insist on an agreement for notice to access. Or for emergency access reasons, give the duplicate set to your attorney to hold and give the agent the attorney contact information. Protect your privacy, security and peace of mind, as no one else will do so; local privacy etiquette can be lacking and inconsiderate, or just plain careless, to put it politely.

See clause #15 in the attached rental contract form: standard practice in the property management business is 24 to preferably 48 hours notice to inspect.

don

rental_contract.pdf

Edited by drtreelove

Make a copy, give to the condo people, then go out and buy new locks and change them yourself. It's not a difficult thing to do, even if you haven't done it before. Don't buy the cheapest locks you can find, but by the same token, don't buy the most expensive either. Any lock can be picked; the cheap ones quite easily. Most robbers don't bother to pick locks though. It's a lot easier to use a car jack and a length of wood to spread the door frame past the bolt in wooden houses, or use a prybar and a cheater pipe to just force the door. MUCH faster than picking unless you're a pro.

First rule of moving into a new apartment...CHANGE ALL THE LOCKS. You have no idea who holds duplicates, no matter what they claim.

A landlord, or landlord's agent is entitled to inspect the property at a mutally convenient time.

Her intensions are probably good, but maybe not aware or respectful of the privacy and security standards that you and I would expect.

I agree with MJ Man; I would probably just give her the old keys, then change the locks and don't even discuss it, you will probably just create a misunderstanding. Or if you want to comply then insist on an agreement for notice to access. Or for emergency access reasons, give the duplicate set to your attorney to hold and give the agent the attorney contact information. Protect your privacy, security and peace of mind, as no one else will do so; local privacy etiquette can be lacking and inconsiderate, or just plain careless, to put it politely.

See clause #15 in the attached rental contract form: standard practice in the property management business is 24 to preferably 48 hours notice to inspect.

don

The referenced aggreement looks to have pretty well all the bases covered.

Getting it recognised (by the landlord) in terms of refunding of deposits etc., may be another matter entirely.

But they wouldn't be keeping any keys in any apartment, room, house that I was renting unlesss it was a serviced deal.

I would do as others have said give them any old key and most importantly change the locks.

Who would know how many previous tenants have retained keys.

Edited by john b good

At the hotel I stay at they have a duplicate key, and I had extra keys made that I stash separately in case I lock myself out. But, I have a separate lock on the door as well. Certainly a thief could use a bolt cutter to take off my lock, but the security has been pretty good where I live.

Can understand the desire for privacy/security, of course the owner has a set of keys, almost any lock comes with three. Check your lease entitlements or advise the owner before changing locks though. Eg you are away and there is need to enter, burst pipe etc, who will pay for the damage if forced.