Whats Happpening In Thailand Now?

crudy21

Is it possible to have a thread (use this one if you like) with just news updates of whats happening with the protests etc in Thailand instead of having to trawl through various threads with political arguments filling them? I appreciate this is a ex-pat forum but there are an awful lot of people (me included, travelling to Bangkok in 2 days) who come here for vital information on whats going on and places to avoid.

I tried to post this in the relevant forum (news clippings) but wasn't allowed. Thanks for any help.

I find the Bangkok Post sms service, which costs around 15- 20 Baht/month, excellent for keeping me updated on all events in Thailand.

Depending on what's happening, I can get anything from 5 to 10 or more sms per day, containing a brief summary of every item of breaking news, and it certainly keeps me bang up to date with all the political machinations etc.

Once I have read the summary, if I need further details, I can log onto the Post website, or I can usually find the item in Thai Visa in the Press Clippings forum.

It would take an administrator to collate the various pieces of news into one thread. I doubt they have the spare resources.

Well today, the Red shirts are protesting in Bangkok, the Yellow shirts are marching to the Cambodian border and right now I am having lunch.

The yellow Shirts were blocked by the police at Phumisarol village in Si Sa Ket Province. PAD have set a 1.p.m. deadline for the Police to open the way, warning the violence would occur if they didn't let them through.

Red shirts are marching to Gen Prem's house in Korat.

Extra police drafted in to guard PM's residence.

Gen. Sonthi denied coup rumour

Army could be called in against the red shirt rally in Bangkok

All the above from this morning's sms's :)

Is it possible to have a thread (use this one if you like) with just news updates of whats happening with the protests etc in Thailand instead of having to trawl through various threads with political arguments filling them? I appreciate this is a ex-pat forum but there are an awful lot of people (me included, travelling to Bangkok in 2 days) who come here for vital information on whats going on and places to avoid.

I tried to post this in the relevant forum (news clippings) but wasn't allowed. Thanks for any help.

Fascinating. You problematise "political arguments" and deproblematise the discovery/definition/assertion of 'facts'. There are so many ways to help you but for now:

FRAMING THE VIOLENCE IN SOUTHERN THAILAND: THREE WAVES OF MALAY-MUSLIM SEPARATISM --SARA A. JONES M.A., June 2007, Southeast Asian Studies, Center for International Studies of Ohio University

The above paper analyses the way "the Nation" newspaper framed the acts of violence in southern Thailand, so providing you with its form of facts.

"The "Shirking Responsibility" frame serves to highlight the missteps of both the

security forces (Army and police) and Thaksin and his administration. The Nation's use

of this frame is consistent in that it is used throughout the reporting of the four events.

However, the manner in which it is used changes over time in accordance with

government actions and reactions. The Nation begins its use of the "Shirking

Responsibility" frame by blaming the Army completely for the Rajanakarin incident. As

time passes, The Nation begins to shift blame from the Army to Thaksin, as he is the ..." (p83)

I know you are not talking about Southern Thailand. My point is the Masters thesis is useful to illuminate thinking about what makes 'facts' into facts.

I know you are not talking about Southern Thailand. My point is the Masters thesis is useful to illuminate thinking about what makes 'facts' into facts.

Thanks for that, Gaccha.

You can download from this page: http://etd.ohiolink.edu/view.cgi?acc_num=ohiou1179351296

Back to the OP's point. I too will be arriving in 2 weeks, and would appreciate any pointers to recent developments and trends, eg new train Swampy to Downtown.

Local thai man shot by PAD.

FIRING MISSILES WITH CATAPULTS

HOPING MY CRAZY NEIGHBOUR GETS SHOT

MY CRAZY NEIGHBOURS HUSBAND HOPING SHE GETS SHOT TOO.

FOOTBALL ON SOON SO SCREW ALL THE TROUBLE,GOOD HEALTH

I'm having second thoughts about that subscription.