Tea Bags

pattaya_girl

I saw PG tips tea bags in the Supermarket of the new Central store yesterday, box of 40, just over 200 baht.

It seems that the general price of PG Tips in Pattaya is 80 bags for 400 baht/40 bags for 200 baht.

I still recommend Heladiv English breakfast tea from Ceylon/Sri Lanka and reasonably priced.

At those prices surely there must be some room for a budding entrepeneur to become the T Bag King Of Pattaya supplying Expats, cafes and so on, 400 baht for 80 tea bags is roughly £8, price in a UK supermarket less than £2, and only 85p for a box of 40 in Asda. :)

Correction: Friendship Special Offer for Heladiv 100's Tea-Bags is 127 Baht.

PG Tips are 401 Baht per box.

I just returned from Friendship, and picked up box of the Heladiv 'English Breakfast' for 127 baht, as noted above. Indeed, I saw the PG Tips nearby at 401 for a box of 80.

Now, I will allow that, as an American, I may not be quite the tea gourmet that many from the UK can claim to be. Although, my grandmother was Boston Irish, and introduced me to the enjoyment of good tea at a very young age. Still, I ask you, how is it really possible for a cup of PG Tips to be worth 5 baht per cup; versus a mere 1.3 baht for a cup of Heladiv?

The Heladiv tastes quite good to me. I find it a bit of an improvement on the Dilmah that I've just finished. Both certainly top Lipton. But, to be fair, I haven't tasted PG Tips. And, at 5 baht per tea bag, I'm not likely to. :-) Is PG Tips one of those "paying for the name" items that exist in many areas?

By the way, my granny always used Tetley back in the day; and wouldn't touch Lipton. Haven't see Tetley here. How do you UK guys rate that brand?

The PG tip tea bags are twice as strong and make 2 good cups or one big mug of strong tea. The Heladiv tea bags are strictly for one small cup of tea so I use two bags in a pint sized mug, and in my opinion it's a great tasting cuppa.

Tetley Tea bags are available in Pattaya, somewhere. The 'Small Wonder' cafe provides a Tetley tea bag with its English Breakfast.

I think the best English Tea bags are 'Yorkshire Tea Gold' but last time I was in the U.K. I didn't find them.

Twinings English Breakfast tea (leaves) take some beating. It all depends on how you like your tea. I like a strong cuppa, even a Assam tealeaf is to my taste but I suppose that is why there are so many different blends.

"The PG tip tea bags are twice as strong and make 2 good cups or one big mug of strong tea. The Heladiv tea bags are strictly for one small cup of tea so I use two bags in a pint sized mug, and in my opinion it's a great tasting cuppa."

I find that with the water in Pattaya I can get three half pint mugs out of one PG Tip bag. If it is then pegged up outside to dry it is possible to obtain yet another mug full when you reuse it. This not being a Cheap Charlie, it is common sense to economise in the hard times we are going through at present.

I find that with the water in Pattaya I can get three half pint mugs out of one PG Tip bag. If it is then pegged up outside to dry it is possible to obtain yet another mug full when you reuse it. This not being a Cheap Charlie, it is common sense to economise in the hard times we are going through at present.

That is a sensible idea considering the day by day strengthening of the Thai baht.

Thanks for sharing that handy tip. :)

Yes, I also get 3 cups out of one Tea Bag. I do not hang it out to dry in between brews though.

My Mother says it is poor, using a Tea Bag over and over again, but then again, its OK for her, buying her Tea Bags in the UK at low prices.

Off to make a brew !! bye.

Someone told me to try the Tesco Lotus own brand of Tea Bags.

They said they were very nice and reasonably priced.

Has anyone on here ever tried them?

I changed over to Tesco Lotus tea bags after using liptons and the fake PG tips and Tetley (yes most are fake)

The Tesco tea bags are fine just let them soak for longer as there seems to be no perforations.

I have been hanging my tea bags out to dry now and have an added suggestion.

After the fourth mug of tea from one bag, I find that the time is right to cut the teabag open (use a sharp pair of scissors) and then empty the used tea leaves into a traditional teapot, add boiling water and leave to brew for 8 minutes.

This method will yield a rather tasty 5th mug of tea.

:)

I changed over to Tesco Lotus tea bags after using liptons and the fake PG tips and Tetley (yes most are fake)

The Tesco tea bags are fine just let them soak for longer as there seems to be no perforations.

Anyone in the UK at the moment and coming over to Thailand soon, rush out to Morrisons and buy their own brand value tea bags, on offer at the moment, 28 pence for 80 tea bags, yes you read correctly, 28 pence for 80, must be some money to be made if you have a spare suitcase... :D

PS, anyone fancy doing a taste test and reporting back on the Morrisons T bags, feel free, I'll stick to Tetleys and PG and good old Yorkshire Tea. :):D:D

Edited by MB1

Anyone in the UK at the moment and coming over to Thailand soon, rush out to Morrisons and buy their own brand value tea bags, on offer at the moment, 28 pence for 80 tea bags, yes you read correctly, 28 pence for 80, must be some money to be made if you have a spare suitcase... :D

PS, anyone fancy doing a taste test and reporting back on the Morrisons T bags, feel free, I'll stick to Tetleys and PG and good old Yorkshire Tea. :):D:D

With tea bags, you get what you pay for. I agree the UK 'Yorkshire Tea Gold' is the best available in the world.

Yorkshire Tea Information

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a devotee of Tesco's own brand tea bags for quite a few years. I used to get them in Chiangmai, but when I moved across the big river they were not available in either Nongkhai or Udon Tescos. Now I have them brought from the UK by a friend. They recently upgraded their tea by employing a 'master blender' and have now re-packaged the bags in recyclable cardboard boxes.

Always excellent taste and strength (much better and stronger than Twinings English Breakfast which I preferred to Liptons). I use one bag in a pot and get a mug and a half.

Perhaps anyone shopping at Bangkok Tesco branches could advise whether any Tesco own brand tea is available?

Mate of mine returned to Thailand from N.Z. 6 months back, abouts.

I am coming thru with a heap of Earl Grey for him.

100 bags about $NZ6.00, approx 150 baht.

Gunna fill any spare space in me bag, he reckons they cost an arm and leg at his nearest supermarket.

He resides in Kaempong Phet, where ever that is, we will find it.

He loves his Earl Grey.

Yes, Tesco own brand teabags are in Tesco Lotus in Bkk......but,

Heladiv English Breakfast teabags – they are on offer at the Ngam Wong Wan Mall, Bangkok at the moment, and possibly at other branches of The Mall too, at just 124 baht for 100 bags, (or 61 baht for 25). until the end of the month. They taste much better than Tesco own brand I think, and make a pint of tea each. I like them because they taste good either with or without milk and sugar. – not Tetleys or Yorkshire of course, but one of the better tasting Ceylon teas.

• 2 weeks later...
I just want to add that I have now discovered the BEST tea bags available in the U.K.

They are called: 'Somerfield Best Ever Gold Tea Bags' they are not cheap at 3 quid for eighty but they are 100% better than PG Tips, Tetley or even Yorkshire Gold.

Sounds delicious Syd, but are they on sale here in Pattaya anywhere? if you ever see them please let me know as I have no plans to go back to the UK for a while.

I just want to add that I have now discovered the BEST tea bags available in the U.K.

They are called: 'Somerfield Best Ever Gold Tea Bags' they are not cheap at 3 quid for eighty but they are 100% better than PG Tips, Tetley or even Yorkshire Gold.

I always bring over Sainsburys Gold tea bags fairly strong and good flavour. Not tasted the Yorkshire Gold variety though.

Much cheaper than the Somerfield variety...half the price I think.