Hand Held Electric Mosquito Zappers.

maerim

Ever since I have been here in Thailand I have always thought one of the downsides is me being a mobile Farang restaurant for mosquitoes.

I swear the little blighters bypass others just to dine on me, I have never been much good a clapping my hands to try and squash them, I always thought I looked a bit like a born again Christian (and in my opinion they are bad enough the first time round) at a prayer meeting.

Until, that is I bought a couple of rechargeable mosquito zapping racquets about the same size as a badminton racquet , but spelt “racket” the only racket they make is when these charming creatures are being incinerated at high voltage, whoever come up with the idea for these really deserves a medal or three.

Even I have a good success rate at wiping them out but my missus about 5 minutes before she comes to bed looks as though she is practicing for the ladies final at Wimbledon.

I reckon she could give the Williams sisters a run for their money at times accompanied by the staccato crackle of mosquitoes being electrocuted.

If this is a Thai idea I hope the inventor gets the recognition they deserve.

Hey! Not only that its got a rechargeable torch in the handle, if, like me you are fed with being eaten alive I urge you to buy one of these, it will be the best 160 baht you will spend in a long time.

I find they're completely useless. As soon as you've caught your first mozzie it short-circuits the zapper and because of the low power it takes a minute to fry it enough to make the zapper work again - by which time the battery is dead. The rechargable battery in mine died after a week.

Some of the mosquito zappers run about 200 baht for a powerful one that includes a red light which comes one when you press the zapper button. Those ones seem to go on zapping for a long time without letting up on the voltage. The cheaper 80 baht ones may wear out soon after a couple zaps.

Are these things available/popular in the US yet?  I was thinking of sending one as a birthday gift for a nephew, but won't bother if they're already all over the place there.

Think u will find they are illegal in a lot of countries in europe but not sure about usa......try it on wet skin and it will certainly wka you up!!!!!!!did,nt do it intentionally but my what a blast so on small child...dangerous!!!...but i can be usefull short time for mozzies!!!

Are these things available/popular in the US yet?  I was thinking of sending one as a birthday gift for a nephew, but won't bother if they're already all over the place there.

Think u will find they are illegal in a lot of countries in europe but not sure about usa......try it on wet skin and it will certainly wka you up!!!!!!!did,nt do it intentionally but my what a blast so on small child...dangerous!!!...but i can be usefull short time for mozzies!!!

Interestingly the 'safety' version (where you can't touch both poles of the mesh with a finger) are available in Europe (well Belgium anyway).

When we first came across these 'toys' back in 1998 we had long discussions about which of our friends back in the UK were sufficiently responsible to be bought one as a prezzie :o They certainly pack a punch, about 1500V on a 0.5uF capacitor (about 0.6 Joules) certainly enough to damage a small child.

Care required, enjoy :D

Two friends of mine recently went back to Australia after holidaying here and Vietnam. They were impressed with the mossie zappers .....they come from Queensland and have loads of mossies near their place........anyway, they tried to take in two mossie zappers and two cases of Thai beer.......the beer got through but the zappers caused havoc for a while as they are restricted items.......maybe they could be used to take over the country.......anyway my friends were held up at customs for ages filling out all sorts of forms. So dont try and take them back home......you will be targeted as a terrorist !

Ever since I have been here in Thailand I have always thought one of the downsides is me being a mobile Farang restaurant for mosquitoes.

I swear the little blighters bypass others just to dine on me, I have never been much good a clapping my hands to try and squash them, I always thought I looked a bit like a born again Christian (and in my opinion they are bad enough the first time round) at a prayer meeting.

Until, that is I bought a couple of rechargeable mosquito zapping racquets about the same size as a badminton racquet , but spelt “racket” the only racket they make is when these charming creatures are being incinerated at high voltage, whoever come up with the idea for these really deserves a medal or three.

Even I have a good success rate at wiping them out but my missus about 5 minutes before she comes to bed looks as though she is practicing for the ladies final at Wimbledon.

I reckon she could give the Williams sisters a run for their money at times accompanied by the staccato crackle of mosquitoes being electrocuted.

If this is a Thai idea I hope the inventor gets the recognition they deserve.

Hey! Not only that its got a rechargeable torch in the handle, if, like me you are fed with being eaten alive I urge you to buy one of these, it will be the best 160 baht you will spend in a long time.

I agree ,they're fantastic.

I think they would export well to the UK,maybe they could become a national pass time ,have had many hours of fun ZZZZZZZZZ got one ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ there's another one. :o

Have used both the AA and C cell type battery operated models and the new rechargeable types and find them excellent for use by us with less the 20/20 eyesight and ice hockey reflexes. Even the low power AA types will kill (without the fry) and the new zappers are like an M-16 in full auto. You can swing in the general area of flight and often get the one that almost got away.

Of 4 recharge types over six months old just one has failed. For items that cost less than 100 baht each can not complain.

Edited by lopburi3

I think they would export well to the UK,maybe they could become a national pass time

Don't mean to put a downer on your idea, but don't you think the lack of mosquitos in the UK could hamper sales a little?

They are equally effective on flying thingies that we do have in the UK, wasps, flys, bluebottles etc. Gnats are just a bit small and pass through the mesh without being vapourised.

All good, clean fun :o

I think they would export well to the UK,maybe they could become a national pass time

Don't mean to put a downer on your idea, but don't you think the lack of mosquitos in the UK could hamper sales a little?

They are equally effective on flying thingies that we do have in the UK, wasps, flys, bluebottles etc. Gnats are just a bit small and pass through the mesh without being vapourised.

Maybe Dog had fleas in mind. :D

Seriously, though, are they powerful enough to put wasps out of action? I doubt they are, but they'd be popular in pub gardens during the summer months if they could.

Bought one of these at carefour for 160 baht. Got home and tried it and it did not work. A friend pointed out that it had a short because the red light was coming on when you turned it on instead of when you push the side button . So back to carefour to exchange it for one that works. No problem carefour are pretty good with their exchange pollicies. The attendant took one of the shelves and very carefully undid the wrapping. We tested that one and it worked so i took it. Then the attendant put the faulty one in the packaging and back onto the shelf for the next sucker to buy.

I find they're completely useless. As soon as you've caught your first mozzie it short-circuits the zapper and because of the low power it takes a minute to fry it enough to make the zapper work again - by which time the battery is dead.  The rechargable battery in mine died after a week.

You must have gotten a bad one . I love mine . I like to fry those little bas...

so much I bought another one . I got mine at Big C Korat , 150 baht .

Maybe Dog had fleas in mind. :D

Seriously, though, are they powerful enough to put wasps out of action? I doubt they are, but they'd be popular in pub gardens during the summer months if they could.

The chinese ones we got in Malaysia will certainly knock down a hefty sized wasp, depends how it gets hit. Sometimes they are just dazed, finish off with the trusty newspaper.

They work better if you let them charge for a second or two before swiping, and don't let off on the button between insects.

Endless fun for kids of all ages.

You could of course try it out on our fly's, these could prove to be a bigger challenge, and we have planty of them during summer!

They have more maneuverability and speed than the Thai Mossi Air Force!

Two friends of mine recently went back to Australia after holidaying here and Vietnam. They were impressed with the mossie zappers .....they come from Queensland and have loads of mossies near their place........anyway, they tried to take in two mossie zappers and two cases of Thai beer.......the beer got through but the zappers caused havoc for a while as they are restricted items.......maybe they could be used to take over the country.......anyway my friends were held up at customs for ages filling out all sorts of forms. So dont try and take them back home......you will be targeted as a terrorist !

I had a mate who just took a couple back to the UK, without any problems. As to Oz, getting anything past customs there, is difficult.