Celta/no Degree In Thailand

Tedhead

So here's the story. I've a nephew, 25 years old, who's looking into the prospect of teaching in Thailand. He's already spent a couple of years TEFL in China and is well regarded there. He's from the UK and has a CELTA certification. He doesn't have a degree - he took a Diploma in Photography after school and has also spent a couple of years working as a photographer.

Now, in China, there are some language schools which require a degree as well as a CELTA (or similar) certification. I imagine the same is true of Thailand, but what he's having difficulty sorting out is which schools - or even which types of schools - accept teachers with CELTA but no degree. Obviously, he's also interested in how much such jobs would pay and where they are, but initially it's the basics. How do you know which places are open to teachers with his qualifications and can anyone point him in the direction of a few? Thanks in advance for your help.

The rules change quite a lot, but a few years ago you could get a work permit from a private language school provided you had a teacher's qualification if no degree, and the celta was obviously such a qualification. I think the institute have to get a teacher's permit for each teacher, and unlike unis and colleges, a degree was not necessary at a private language school.