What Up With All The 1 Star Raters?

Daren

Seems like it's a TV pass-time to rate threads with 1 star. What the heck is that about? Is life so boring that you have to rate others threads as having no value?

I never understood this because as there are some very good threads that get rated low... Oh well no accounting for intelligence, eh? :)

I just gave yours a 5. Yes it happens a lot. In my view one of the big causes are petty people who have a personal vendetta against the more controversial posters (like me). I get the 1 star raters all the time on ALL kinds of threads. Now I know all my threads aren't objectively 5's, but they aren't ALL 1's either. Again, just petty nasty people with an axe to grind.

Edited by Jingthing

I rated my topic 5 stars too... 555! And I think you're right, some people just get nasty!

If this feature is so heavily abused, why not just do away with it? I almost never see any threads rated higher than 2 or, at most, 3. So if they're not a good guide to the usefulness of a thread, why have them at all?

I rated my topic 5 stars too... 555! And I think you're right, some people just get nasty!

If this feature is so heavily abused, why not just do away with it? I almost never see any threads rated higher than 2 or, at most, 3. So if they're not a good guide to the usefulness of a thread, why have them at all?

Slow day at the office mate?

I suggest the option to rate your own topic should be blocked by the administrators.I have noticed several times that certain members rate their own topic 5 stars even before there is one view of the topic.

This is in my opinion not a reflection of the reality,but only shows the attitude of those posters,as the rating should be given by the readers not by the OP.

Who cares, or do you guys run some customized database software that keep records of stars and ranks yourself against others ? Are your "star" rankings in decline ? :)

But seriously, i always thought the stars are added by the system based on how many hits the topic gets. I.e how popular the thread is with users...

If it is by user input i do not see any benefit of it...

Edit: ahhhh found the button, gave this one a one star

Edited by MJo

Seems like it's a TV pass-time to rate threads with 1 star. What the heck is that about? Is life so boring that you have to rate others threads as having no value?

I never understood this because as there are some very good threads that get rated low... Oh well no accounting for intelligence, eh? :)

I usually go for the Topic that catches my eye I no matter how many stars it has,on saying that I've only found out how to give a rating after reading this so I've given you 5 stars,cause I learned something from this post,Happy Birthday.laugh.gif

Very few people take the time to rate a thread so one vote is all it takes. I agree the feature is not used and should be blocked by Admin as it serves no useful purpose and probably creates much more ill will than good.

Agreed.

Never understood its purpose. Same goes for rating members. Daft idea.