Pm Expected To Appoint Govt Whip Next Week

george

PM expected to appoint govt whip next week

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is expected to officially appoint the government whip next week.

Former justice minister Pongthep Thepkanjana, who is expected to be appointed as the new head of the government whip, told TNA yesterday that he believed members of the government would be officially appointed next week.

Mr. Thaksin said during his weekly radio address on Saturday that he would appoint Mr. Pongthep to head the government whip, while Mr. Sanoh Thienthong, the ruling Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party's chief advisor and the former head of the government whip, would be appointed to head the advisors' team of the government whip.

"The prime minister will make the final decision on the appointment of the government whip, which is expected next week", said Mr. Pongthep, a party-list Thai Rak Thai MP.

Meanwhile, Mr. Sanoh refused to take the post of the honorary head of the government whip, or the head of the advisors' team of the government whip, saying that he had never heard of the post.

"Is there really the post? There has never been the position since the establishment of the Thai parliament decades ago. It seems to be only a post in a joke assembly, I think", said Mr. Sanoh sensitively.

"Although I have no degree in Laws, I'm a veteran legislator having work in the House for 30 years", he added.

Mr. Pongthep said, however, that he always respects Mr. Sanoh, noting that he would leave the final decision on the issue solely to the prime minister.

He pledged to work in any position to the best of his ability whether he would finally be appointed to be the new head of the government whip.

The prime minister is on a private trip with his family in Japan and is scheduled to return to Bangkok this evening.

--TNA 2005-03-22

Can anyone tell me what a goverenment whip is? Thank you.  :o

Basically a Parliamentary member normally appointed by the Prime Minister, responsible for the day to day management of the party and responsible for party discipline.

In Uk they are also there to ensure that party members vote in favour of the matters that the party wants to vote in. Although in Thailand I dont think that would be a concern!!

Can anyone tell me what a goverenment whip is? Thank you.  :o

In the American congressional system, the whip is supposed to keep party members in line regarding legislative voting matters. Not really sure whether this same function applies in the Thai parliament as I don't imagine TRT MPs would break ranks and not vote for every one of Mr Big's whims and desires.