What Causes The "stomach Thing?"

sbaker8688

Will be coming to Thailand soon. Everytime I come, I seem to contract this "stomach thing" to some degree.

My question is: what causes it? Is it the water? Is it the ice cubes in your drink at a restaurant? Is it the food, and if so which food? Fish or seafood perhaps?

I'd like to be able to avoid it as much as possible, so if anyone knows what causes it, please let me know.

Thanks.

Edited by sbaker8688

Will be coming to Thailand soon.  Everytime I come, I seem to contract this "stomach thing" to some degree.  Sometimes light, sometimes severe, sometimes intermittent, sometimes permanent....

My question is: what causes it?  Is it the water?  Is it the ice cubes in your drink at a restaurant?  Is it the food, and if so which food?  Fish or seafood perhaps?

I'd like to be able to avoid it as much as possible, so if anyone knows what causes it, please let me know.

Thanks.

I've come to realize it's just your Karma. We've all got shit to work out, in one way or another...

Good luck

:o

Could be one or a combination of things but the real thing is the Thais have lived here and are used to about anything that is thrown at them. I've seen Thais swimming in water that scares me and they even eat the fish but they are used to this and the only way to get past your problem is to live here longer than your holiday. I have been here over 3 years and don't have too many problems anymore (except somtom) but that's because of hygiene. My wife makes som tom and I don't make the mad dash but eat it anywhere else and I always seem to get the runs, Can't explain. :o

Edited by Kringle

Hi SB it may just be the change in diet, type of oil used in the cooking process etc. If I were you I would eat Yoghurt every morning, this should take care of some of the bacteria you will digest throughout the day, though possibly not all, but it is a start.

Its called "Travelers' Diarrhea" or TD for short.

TD is acquired through ingestion of fecally contaminated food or water or both. (Both cooked and uncooked foods might be implicated if they have been improperly handled.)

Especially risky foods include raw or undercooked meat and seafood and raw fruits and vegetables.

Tap water, ice, and unpasteurized milk and dairy products can be associated with increased risk of TD.

Safe beverages include bottled carbonated beverages (especially flavored beverages), beer, wine, hot coffee or tea, or water boiled and appropriately treated with iodine or chlorine.

My recommendation, learned from decades of living and traveling throughout the world, are:

1. Wash your hands throughly BEFORE handling or eating food.

2. DO NOT drink the local water. Drink purified bottled water or beer. DO NOT drink any fluids where ice cubes have been added (unless you made the cubes yourself using purified water.)

3. Only eat foods that has been well cooked.

4. DO NOT eat raw vegetables, especially salads.

5. DO NOT eat fruits, unless you can/do peel them yourself.

These suggestions may not keep you 100% TD free, but will greatly reduce your chances of becoming ill and spending half your vacation in the bathroom. :o

good luck

:D

You would think PeptoBismol would be a huge seller over here -- but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe there are similar medicines locally, but I haven't found any.

In the States, PeptoBismol is even recommended by doctors to be taken at a regular basis when travelling abroad. It does seem, however, that my system has acclimated to Thailand, since I rarely need the 'pink stuff' anymore. But I sure would advise infrequent visitors to bring plenty of PeptoBismol (liquid and tablets), and use on a regular, preventative basis. Chances are your stomach would be just fine, short of a food poisoning encounter.

Will be coming to Thailand soon.  Everytime I come, I seem to contract this "stomach thing" to some degree. 

My question is: what causes it?  Is it the water?  Is it the ice cubes in your drink at a restaurant?  Is it the food, and if so which food?  Fish or seafood perhaps?

Thanks.

If you are a long stayer, avoid MSG (monosodiumglutamate) "pongcheroot" like the plague. I realised I am allergic to it. Will take some effort to check all the bottled sauces.

After staying here for a while, realised that when i ate in some places no probs, others terrible. Very prevelant in Chinese food generally, and many oyster and soy sauces have it added at manufacture.

It is available to be added by yourself into your noodles and food at most food stands, and most restaurants will add it into food unless you specifically ask them not too.

Once I settled on the brands of all the sauces that i know had no MSG in them, no probs

I find that after spending two weeks in Thailand, the body adjusts and loose bowel movements subside.

Here are a few tips:

1. Only drink pure sealed mineral water.

2. Avoid ice in all bars

3. Avoid all seafood except in top restaurants

4. Beware of rice, make sure it's freshly prepared and hot

5. Eat a large breakfast and less later in the day

If you do get TD (travellers diarrhea) DON'T take immodium. It will delay your recovery, instead sit in the toilet and move your T.V. to the doorway and drink 2 litres of water per hour. Then drink black tea. Then sleep for 18 hours. Bingo tummy troubles over.

Incidentally if you have a fever with the diarrhea, see a doctor.

Wilson Steer.

I think that stomach problems can occur anywhere you travel because of exposure to different microbes and minerals in food and water. As one who has very sensitive stomach, I've experienced upset stomach in most places that I've traveled to. I have found that "Beano" which has enzymes that helps digestion, can be helpful - have had really good luck traveling without much problems lately...

I have spent a few months of every year in Thailand for the last several years and always suffer very badly from upset stomach, no matter how careful I am with food and water. I have seen cases of 2 visitors fresh off the plane in Bangkok, one will be plagued by Travellers' diarrhoea during their stay and the other appears to have no problems at all, despite eating the same food.

It seems almost as if some people have a natural resistance. Don’t know whether it’s genetic or acquired through environment somehow.

Hi Dara,

What's Beano?

Edited by katana

both genetic propensity and environment....

i have an iron stomach... eat anything anywhere... exposed to zoonoses like salmonella daily etc.... knock on wood etc never get anything even when i first came to israel, ate and drank all over issan no problem.... just read israeli paper on how horrible our drinking water is....

my parents stick to the bottled stuff when they visit, my mother purrells everything (thats that nasty gel/alcohol stuff), she even purelled the veggies in india and she purells in israel too...

my father gets the runs every where any place, a legacy of army duty ameobic dysentary that stayed or something along those lines....

my kids are not raised sterile so hopefully no future problems no matter where they live

soap and water is it, and if something falls on the ground, it gets rinsed thats all, as small children all the kibbutz kids were allowed to crawl outside, even in the cow sheds! (not in the cow manure direct of course, we 're not stupid),

sorry to say this but americans (and i was/am one too) are hysterically sterile which leads to later problems cause most of the world is not sterile... even zoos have learned not to be too sterile as the animals then are much more open to diseases from the surrounding areas...

bio yougurt preferable from a goat is recommended; lots of water; fresh orange juice, baking soda salt and sugar (nasty rehydration mix but works); grated apples (pectin); lots of sticky rice (then watch out for the opposite lproblem as i saw happen to someone :o )

Hi Dara,

What's Beano?

Beano is product that contains enzymes to help digest as-producing foods. (See link for more info http://www.beanogas.com/about.asp)

I find that taking 3 pills helps keeping the discomfort of eating/drinking food that in restauratns, while traveling, etc. It also seems to keep the stomach from getting upset all together most of the time. Eating hot/spicy food though, is always hard for me....

I've been in Thailand about 11 days. I had bad stomach cramps after eating a meal. The cramps went away after about 5 minutes but each time I ate a meal they returned.....but not as bad as before. The cramps have finally gone away.....maybe a virus has left my body or I've just become 'immune' to a certain extent like the locals....who knows? Anyway, the cramps and runs are gone and I never took any medicine.....maybe this is the best way to build up an immunity.

I read a report sometime last year that claimed a large percentage of traveller’s stomach problems were picked up from the smells of stagnant drains.

One rule learnt over the years is to always look for and buy from a food outlet popular with the locals. A high turnover generally ensures fresher food and less chance of catching something.

Be careful with fruit. A friend recently suffered insecticide poisoning after eating Longans. The insecticide had passed into the fruit through a crack in the skin.

I've grown accustomed to most stomach problems but still have my delicate moments. :o A change in food and unfamiliar or excessive spices tend to cause most of my problems.

NL

• 10 months later...

A veeery old thread but I just couldn't resist replying since I thought most of the responses were excellent and I learned some things. Also, might add a few comments. I get sick almost every time I visit Pattaya, vomiting, diarehhea, and severe intestinal cramps. I have to call it what it is, and that's food poisoning, caused by any number of factors, poor hygiene by restaurant workers, poor food preparation habits by the workers, ie. using same knife to cut raw chicken and cooked chicken (I've seen this), or using tap water to prepare soups and not bringing it to a boil. Or serving tainted ice cream, ice, and other things. I guess this sickness is the price I pay for being in a developing country, but wish my immunity would kick in soon. The one post mentioned pepto bismo. I have found it this year in a pharmacy without too much difficult. Thai doctor recommended I take one tablespoon every morning as a preventive measure to avoid diarehhea. And it worked, as was sick as hel_l again this year vomiting and cramps, but no diarehha, so eliminated one of the nasties. Also, at the end of the trip picked up some buscopan which is an antispamodic drug to control the intestinal spasms. Been around forever and supposed to work quickly and well, so now I have that to help. By the way the same doctor agreed with the "immunity" theory. He said most thais have different bacteria in their stomachs and intestines than westerners that visit, and therefore are not as susceptible. This is not to say they don't get food poisoning, because they do, but far less often, and a bit less severe than we do, so I hear from him. By the way, I get sick when I visit Mexico too.

The following measures will be helpful:

1. Do not take any ice in anything you order. Do not eat ice cream.

2. Refrain from drinking more alcohol than one beer per day during the first two weeks.

3. Avoid eating in places where you have doubts about the hygiene in the first place.

It's the least popular advice but perhaps the most effective:

If you dont get drunk from alcohol, you are a lot less likely to get food poisoning. Every time you get severely intoxicated, your liver and immune system are put under severe strain.

BTW, different bacteria in Thais and Westerners is not only a theory. When you have been abroad and come to Thailand, it takes time to get used to the local bacteria. Technically, these differences should disappear with time though, which they do not seem to do, not entirely anyway.

Diddo on getting sick in pattaya!!!

I always frequently get stomach pains there big time that double me over. I thougth it was zinc I was taking, or alcohol, or the food, or the water, or tonkat ali supplements. I am sure it's no the zinc, or alcohol now, which leaves pretty much the food, water, or tonkat ali.

Will find out soon from experimentations.

Screw the free water and ice & soups for me from now on there!

Also, I heard that taking 2 shots of hard liquor or a shot of vinegar will eliminate the problem when you encounter it, due to it killing bacteria.. May try this next time.

I had the same for my 1st visit to thailand, stopped eating all thai food still no good. I gave up the beer 2 days before coming home hey presto visits to the toilet over. Been ok since on every visit apart from the odd night of 2 or 3 visits after a meal.

I get it occasionally now.and then....but for the most part I go well now.

Stay off the booze for a day....drink plenty of bottled water...buy some electrolyte powder from the chemist.

I reckon it is caused by diet and excess...even the farang food is different because of the way it is prepared and cooked.... but mainly by excess...

People tend to drink more on holidays....everynight out on the grog...more than you would at home...this does affect you....try not drinking daytime and leave your drinking till after 7pm, That still gives you 6 hours on the booze....and make sure you eat something...too many guys go there and forget to eat because they are having too much fun boozing on.

I have found that if you are crook, then a noodle dish is great...doesnt sit heavy...easily absorbed by the body...

:o

Will be coming to Thailand soon. Everytime I come, I seem to contract this "stomach thing" to some degree.

Excellent question - thanks for posting.

I live in Bangkok. I eat just about everything, from street food and noodles, to fancy farang food. I take ice in my drinks. One thing that immediately made a big improvement is washing my hands frequently with anti-bacterial soap. Wash 6-8 times a day. Not compulsive, just more frequently than before I arrived. Anti-bacterial soap available in all Villa/Tops/Tesco/Carrefor markets. Since I started washing my hands more often, never a problem.

Here is one common brand you'll find in most stores. Click to enlarge. post-4014-1139253725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr_Dave

You would think PeptoBismol would be a huge seller over here -- but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe there are similar medicines locally, but I haven't found any.

I agree. PeptoBismol has worked well for me, too. There are local equivalents here. Gelusil and Mag 77 are two that I've found effective. Available in any pharmacy, including Villa, Tesco, etc.

post-4014-1139254411_thumb.jpg Click to enlarge.

The first 2 times i went there i had stomach problems the whole time.

I think its because my stomach wasnt used to there food.

Maybe try avoiding there milk as that runs straight through me. i only have powder milk for coffee and tea.

I stuck to that and have never had any problems since.

I eat food from the street and eat at any restaraunt and have no problems.

Its either the milk i cant drink there OR my stomach is just used to all the foods now.

Any amount of things can cause the stomach upset.

The best way to treat it is not to use immodium as this completely clogs the digestive system.

Take an antibiotic such as Norfloxacin which is available in most Pharmacies.

Remember dehydration usually occurs either being the cause or the result of a severe stomach upset.

No matter how much water you drink you cannot replace the essential minerals that are lost so a few bottles of m-sport or electolyte powders dissolved in water will help restore you to normality.

solidly yours.

• 1 year later...

*bump* :D

Just came back from spending a couple of days in Laos. The first 3 days went by with no problems, eating at restaurants for the most part.

Had supper on the 3rd day at the g/f's parents house in their little village. Drank bottled water, but never watched how they prepared the meal itself (rice, curried pork and boiled chicken). (Didn't drink at all during the trip)

The next morning I had stomache problems. We were on our way back to Pattaya and needless to say, it wasn't the most enjoyable trip due to the need to be near a bathroom, a lot.

Been back a couple of days now and it hasn't improved much. Haven't taken anything (medicinal-wise), been trying to eat solid foods and keep hydrated, but the more liquids I take, the worse it seems to be. Kind of nervous about going anywhere as you never know when needing a hong nam is suddenly going to become priority one.

Guess I'll have to do as one person mentioned previously. Reposition the tv and take up residence in the toilet until it works it's way through my system. :o

on a related note, can someone tell me more about the ice thing. I was told that the big chunky ice with a hole in the middle is fine, it is commercially made with purified water. Is this true? I have been taking ice if I the establishement uses this kind. I have been in Thailand about 6 weeks now and have had some stomach trouble, but put it down to different food etc. If all ice is bad then surely I would have been sick a lot more?

My question is: what causes it? Is it the water? Is it the ice cubes in your drink at a restaurant? Is it the food, and if so which food? Fish or seafood perhaps?

Thanks.

I know what you mean, but it is my gf who gets this stomach thing, everytime I come.... :o