Can You Open A Thai Bank Account From The Uk

kscotland

I have an account with Siam com. , Bangkok bank, and TMB bank and all of them with no work permit and no problems.

But they are all savings accounts.

If I wanted to open a current account with a credit card etc then I would need to show a work permit with a minimum earnings of ??? amount.

Is it this different type of account that is confusing everybody???????

HL :)

I don't think the account type is the problem. Over the years the interpretation/requirements change from one end of the scale to the other, and back again (I know you'll find that hard to believe in Thailand, but its true!), and they seem to be going through a 'strict' phase nowadays.

I've opened a number of savings accounts over the years with different banks, and the requirements change from no problem just give us the money to show us your work permit (and back again). One of my friends was even turned down by one bank last year because he only had a 6 month WP!

Follow the advice and go to a branch of one of the farang friendly banks Kasikorn?), ideally in a tourist/business area, Sukhumvit/Silom.

hey, is there any thai banks who would allow me to open up a thai bank account from the UK and transfer several thousand pounds into it? I would then use the account when i come to SE asia in a month or 2. The reason I am looking into this is because to fund my trip I am selling a "research chemical" online, which is in a legal grey area in the UK and I would rather open another bank account and transfer the money into it so the one I'm using for my business dosnt have loads of funds in it.

I would imagine i would have to pay a fee as a foreigner, wouldnt want it to be any more than a couple hundred quid.

anyone got any knowledge about this type of thing?

cheers

I think the answer to that is no! However there is only one Thai Bank in England, and that's Bangkok Bank, situated in the City Of London, Threadneadle Street I think, it may be worth a phone call to them. The other possibility, HSBC Bank has a branch in Bangkok, some of friend use that to transfer monies, they also have opened Sterling Accounts. May be some help.

There is a Kasikorn branch (Thai Farmers) in Cannon Street (London) - been there, done business there, have an account there that is accessible in Thailand, but it is a business account (had to present Thai company reg papers, ID, Tax details and a bunch of other docs' - just as if opening in Thailand). This account gives me access to funds in Thailand. Likewise, funds deposited into the account in the UK can be accessed in Thailand. I use this account to support LOC's when in the UK buying used agriculture equipment for export to Thailand.

I don't know if you can open current or personal type accounts through this branch (for use/access in Thailand) - can someone else comment?

As for personal banking/current account banking - my experience of HSBC is positive: on one occassion about 4 years ago I couldn't access personal funds (kept at HSBC Bangkok) using my Thailand issued HSBC plastic, through an HSBC ATM machine in London.

I went into the HSBC branch. Told them story, gave them my passport and the plastic - the young lady went over to her desk, made a phonecall to whoever/wherever, then came back and said "How much would you like to withdraw" - simple as that: filled out a withdrawal slip and was given the funds. How HSBC UK reconciled the books with HSBC in Thailand I haven't a clue - it just reflected on my statement the next month at HSBC Thai Baht to Sterling exchange rates. I thought that was rather good of HSBC - the whole process, from the time of walking into the branch to explain what had occured, to walking out with funds in hand could not have taken more than 5minutes at most.

HSBC in Bangkok have an ex-pat Brit who handles personal banking for ex-pats. I can't remember the guy's name, but he's easy to access and has always been helpful on the occassions I have had some or other need to speak to him.

Edited by Maizefarmer

As a slight variation on this topic, has anyone with a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand tried paying in funds via their branch in London?

Replied to this last night but the reply has not appeared??

Yes.

I transferred money from my UK bank account to the Bangkok bank in London. I sent a cheque, it took 10 days to clear and they charged me £10.

That was about 2 years ago. I phoned them for details and it was a bit slow but painless to transfer the funds. Said funds then available in Thailand.

edit.... not a business account either.

Edited by G54

• 2 months later...

I am a Thai citizen living & working in Australia and I am trying to open a Thai bank account from Australia. I have contacted all the major banks and so far they all say I have to go there in person to open the account :) . Would imagine it would be harder for a foreigner. So if anybody manages to open a bank account from overseas, let me know which bank & who to speak to. ~Thx.

Maizefarmer - an extremely useful bit of info Thanks.

There is a Kasikorn branch (Thai Farmers) in Cannon Street (London) - been there, done business there, have an account there that is accessible in Thailand, but it is a business account (had to present Thai company reg papers, ID, Tax details and a bunch of other docs' - just as if opening in Thailand). This account gives me access to funds in Thailand. Likewise, funds deposited into the account in the UK can be accessed in Thailand. I use this account to support LOC's when in the UK buying used agriculture equipment for export to Thailand.

Dd you have to take a work permit or was the company you set this up for a property-owning type company or even a dormant one?

I would suggest setting up something up an account like epassporte You can get a virtual visa card and debit card and transfer funds to your virtual account via wire transfer and credit card.

Unless of course you're wanting to setup the Thai a/c so that the 'research' income never touches the uk a/c. That's a different requirement altogether.

As a slight variation on this topic, has anyone with a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand tried paying in funds via their branch in London?

YES, and you can`t.

15 years ago I tried opening an account with the Bangkok Bank in London.

I was told that this branch is for business accounts, doing business between England and Thailand and the minimum deposite is £250000. That was 15 years ago.

Not for the average client, mainly a bank for big businesses.