Sad News About A New Bakery

butterisbetter

First of all, I'd like to give a shout ot to all my fellow conspirators, UlyssesG, Electrified, realthaideal,csmsoulbrother. SamsaiSam and,chiangmabruce , (or, as I affectionately call them , Mr. Brown, Mr. Pink, Mr. White, Mr. Green, Mr. Black, and Mister Gray) at thaivisa whom I enlisted into this vast conspiracy to circuitously promote my wife's bakery... ecc ecc

...ehm..hi!

Cannella's owners speaking :D:)

this morning some guy come talking about "something in thaivisa".

-thaivisa? (that was my answer).

We open the site and he show us the forum. Was really, really funny!

Look like a condo-meeting..

So we decide to sign up for say thank you to everybody,

our promoter will receive soon a visit he he he

Have a nice day

Sinchai and girlfriend

ah, the water is free :D

Rumour has it that JOMA bakery is planning a large expansion into Chiang Mai sometime in early 2010. For those who have never had the pleasure of eating at their bakeries, they are found throughout Laos. They apparently also just expanded into Vietnam. This will certainly give the other bakeries a run for their money.

Spamming isn't on our list of things to do. For mine, you get a break this time. BUT use that oversize font again and, sadly. you will see an altogether different fellow member. One with

a size 10 and a half boot.

Did you ever see one of those movies where someone is unwittingly about to press a button that is wired to some infernal contraption that will skewer that poor unsuspecting someone in an excitingly picturesque way.. Well, when I was composing this letter when I discovered the font size option. I had a range of sizes for 1 to 7 to choose from. I chose 4 since I thought it would be middle sized. Turned out not to be the case. Maybe if someone out in the audience had just screamed a little louder I might never have done it. And some of us might be a little less perturbed.

That said, even if I had done this on purpose, the offense pales in comparison to threats of violence. Don't people get banned for that sort of thing? They ought to be.

I'll save him the trouble:

It's located in the Rimping Supermarket, Mee Chok branch on the Maejo Road.

And Butter is Better has my vote also. Everything I have tried there has been good (esp. the apple pie) and the staff are always very friendly and welcoming. Thumbs up also to the Wednesday discounts - every little bit helps.

Haven't run into you there yet Chiangmaibruce but eventually will, I'm sure. It's a great bakery at Rimgping. Have you tried the Boston cream cake? Unbelievable! And the OP's wife-owner is most gracious, friendly and talented (she does all the baking from what I understand). A real find and worth trying out.

Edited by venturalaw

It's a great bakery at Rimgping. Have you tried the Boston cream cake? Unbelievable! And the OP's wife-owner is most gracious, friendly and talented (she does all the baking from what I understand). A real find and worth trying out.

I'll take the bait too : I must confess I was originaly a sceptic but a slice of that cream cake has finally converted me into a true believer of Butter is Better.The triangular scone is good too though I'd prefer it round. I'm looking forward to the day when the missus bakes a plain sponge cake with a layer of raspberry jam in the middle. :)

It seems there is a dearth of bakeries here that offer what I am looking for.

Here's an example.

Yesterday I went to Bread Brasserie (off Nimblehymen) for the 3rd time in so many days, for a simple task. To buy a decent loaf of French bread.

Gimme a boule, a batard, a baguette, whatever.

Nope, no have. But have 45 varieties of sweet pastries. OK, I understand- they share a space with Coffee Wawee, and most Thai customers want a sweet fresh baked something to go with their premium coffee.

But a French bakery, that doesn't have even one piece of real French bread, at 2:30 in the afternoon- <deleted>?

And no, I am not driving way the f*!# to Carrefour, just to buy a sourdough boule.

So I had to go to Tops, and buy the worst excuse for French bread, for a ridiculous price.

If this new place offers decent bread, I will be a customer in a heart beat.

And no, my impression is as well that the OP is not spamming- he is just offering a grudging admiration to a new place that has opened, and that he appreciates. Thank you for your info, and I look forward to checking out this new place.

It seems there is a dearth of bakeries here that offer what I am looking for.

Here's an example.

Yesterday I went to Bread Brasserie (off Nimblehymen) for the 3rd time in so many days, for a simple task. To buy a decent loaf of French bread.

Gimme a boule, a batard, a baguette, whatever.

Nope, no have. But have 45 varieties of sweet pastries. OK, I understand- they share a space with Coffee Wawee, and most Thai customers want a sweet fresh baked something to go with their premium coffee.

But a French bakery, that doesn't have even one piece of real French bread, at 2:30 in the afternoon- <deleted>?

And no, I am not driving way the f*!# to Carrefour, just to buy a sourdough boule.

So I had to go to Tops, and buy the worst excuse for French bread, for a ridiculous price.

If this new place offers decent bread, I will be a customer in a heart beat.

And no, my impression is as well that the OP is not spamming- he is just offering a grudging admiration to a new place that has opened, and that he appreciates. Thank you for your info, and I look forward to checking out this new place.

I made the same observation. I would never go there again.

I'll save him the trouble:

It's located in the Rimping Supermarket, Mee Chok branch on the Maejo Road.

And Butter is Better has my vote also. Everything I have tried there has been good (esp. the apple pie) and the staff are always very friendly and welcoming. Thumbs up also to the Wednesday discounts - every little bit helps.

Haven't run into you there yet Chiangmaibruce but eventually will, I'm sure. It's a great bakery at Rimgping. Have you tried the Boston cream cake? Unbelievable! And the OP's wife-owner is most gracious, friendly and talented (she does all the baking from what I understand). A real find and worth trying out.

Dao, my wife, used to do all the baking. She is kind of brilliant at this thing. I've been baking classic butter crust pies for over 30 years. Dao looked at me do it once, and made a pie that tasted just as good in half the time, but looked 10 times better. Her whole family is scary that way. But as good as Dao is, demand has risen beyond even what she can do. we have added bakers. Currently there are 3 bakers in addition to Dao. Dao had to go through quite a lot of staff to find people talented enough to keep to her stringent standards. The special properties of butter and wheat flour are not deeply ingrained in Thai culinary culture as brilliant and rich as it is. Second to none, really. That said, even they can make mistakes occasionally, Like over-stirring cake batter which overdevelops the wheat gluten and makes for a tough cake. Or not sifting the baking soda which brings an interestingly unpleasant and unforgettable flavor to the coffee cake. These mishaps rarely occur now but when they do, Dao is very very grateful when people tell her that something isn't right. She is glad to give either a refund or a replacement. We had one employee (long gone now) who forgot to add butter to a large batch of banana bread 14 loaves in all. She remembered after the batch was baked but decided to send them along anyway. One customer returned what was, functionally speaking, a banana flavored brick. That means 13 customers didn't say anything and, presumably, didn't buy banana bread again. Ouch!

OK, I take back what I said.

Let's go back to the new Italian bread place, please.

Or the thread will be closed, forthwith.

As an added note, all businesses here should be aware that you can advertise for free. On our free Thai Visa Directory.

bazmlb, our TV director of sales, posted this above:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3031666

Hope this helps.

OK, I take back what I said.

Let's go back to the new Italian bread place, please.

Or the thread will be closed, forthwith.

As an added note, all businesses here should be aware that you can advertise for free. On our free Thai Visa Directory.

bazmlb, our TV director of sales, posted this above:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3031666

Hope this helps.

Someone earlier had asked me if Cannella's makes bread. It turns out they do. I think it's done to order. Sourdough bread. It turns out that Raffaela, one of the owners of Cannella, is from Sardinia.

Ah, Sardinia!

I will go there tomorrow, and order some rosemary scented whole wheat country loaf.

Then come over to your place, and order a Key Lime Pie, Florida style.

Todo esta perfecto y tranquilo.

BTW, I have spent quite a bit of time in San Miguel, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

But mostly cave diving in Tulum/Akumal area, on the mainland.

You really from Cozumel?

OK, off topic I know.

I chastise/do penance....

OK...I am the guy who walked in and told them about their thread on TV. A bit difficult to find but worth the hunt. The owners are very nice and I am going back this morning with friends for breakfast. Sadly no cannoli's but she is willing to give them a try. As for breads..none readily available but she is making sourdough for me this morning and seems open to filling any and all orders. The dining room is small but there are table outside too. I was surprised to find they have been open since February 2. I thought it was brand new. Anyway...give it a visit!

OK...I am the guy who walked in and told them about their thread on TV. A bit difficult to find but worth the hunt. The owners are very nice and I am going back this morning with friends for breakfast. Sadly no cannoli's but she is willing to give them a try. As for breads..none readily available but she is making sourdough for me this morning and seems open to filling any and all orders. The dining room is small but there are table outside too. I was surprised to find they have been open since February 2. I thought it was brand new. Anyway...give it a visit!

I second the recommendation wholeheartedly.

I tried the place yesterday and today picked up an order. The owner is a delightful italian and her cakes and cookies and desserts and more are all to my taste. Her willingness to fill orders makes this the nearest thing to having a versatile italian pastry chef of one's own.

I'm going to be a regular customer.

Try the place.

• 4 weeks later...

I just visited a relatively new bakery on Nimannhemin Rd. I noticed it before but never went in before since it looked very expensive and a little uninviting. But after eating two of their cakes I can say that this must be the best cake in town. I had a chat with the owner and guess what, she worked in a Michelin star restaurant in Europe (don't remember how many stars though)

The cakes are 100% French style and TASTE! Their chocolate cake is amongst the best I ever tasted. The price is around 60 baht which I find cheap considering they are premium quality by western standards. Sadly they only make cakes and no bread whatsoever. The owner told me that business was not very well so I post this because I would hate to see this place go. Please give them a try and I am sure you will become a regular.

LA GENOISE, Nimmanhaemin Rd. I forgot the number. It is at the same side as Kasem Store but a bit further. From the outside it looks very un-thai (looks french to me). Please save my cakes!

That "IS" sad news. Good bread is one of my passions. I bake multigrain breads myself and ejoy it too much. I enjoy it so much that my waistline expands over the 7 months I'm in Canada. Over the following 5 months in Thailand I manage to take off the 15 pounds I add eating bread in Canada. :)

The sad news is that an excellent new Italian bakery has opened in Chiang Mai. The news is sad because my wife also has a bakery and I hate the thought of serious competition. The only good news in all this is that the new bakery is Italian so mostly isn't offering items that would compete with my wife's products. I lived in New York City for 30 years and never had much use for the multitude of Italian bakeries there. Their producs either tasted either very dry or as though their flavorings had been created somewhere in the vicinity of a refinery.

But this place is different. I briefly chatted with the owner, a young Italian woman, who told me that hers are family recipes. Realy dairy products are used here. I suspect that she comes from Northern Italy but I neglected to ask. At any rate, the name of the bakery is Cannella Cafe. I wouldn't be surprised if the espresso is delicious too but since I don't like coffee I can't say for sure.

The bakery is located on 51 Singharat Rd. Soi 4. It's roughly halfway between Siam TV and the Thai Airways Headquarters. Phone number is 0-5341-7727. I've attached a map.

Another business owner trying for a free promotion on ThaiVisa.

Does anybody use the classifieds these days?

The sad news is that an excellent new Italian bakery has opened in Chiang Mai. The news is sad because my wife also has a bakery and I hate the thought of serious competition. The only good news in all this is that the new bakery is Italian so mostly isn't offering items that would compete with my wife's products. I lived in New York City for 30 years and never had much use for the multitude of Italian bakeries there. Their producs either tasted either very dry or as though their flavorings had been created somewhere in the vicinity of a refinery.

But this place is different. I briefly chatted with the owner, a young Italian woman, who told me that hers are family recipes. Realy dairy products are used here. I suspect that she comes from Northern Italy but I neglected to ask. At any rate, the name of the bakery is Cannella Cafe. I wouldn't be surprised if the espresso is delicious too but since I don't like coffee I can't say for sure.

The bakery is located on 51 Singharat Rd. Soi 4. It's roughly halfway between Siam TV and the Thai Airways Headquarters. Phone number is 0-5341-7727. I've attached a map.

Another business owner trying for a free promotion on ThaiVisa.

Does anybody use the classifieds these days?

If you had read the post from the beginning, you would have quickly realized that the business owners were not even aware of the post for most of the discussion, and it was a gracious tip of the hat from a fellow bakery owner.

I am not a bakery owner, but I am a regular customer of Cannella Cafe and I can certainly vouch for the quality of the sourdough bread (I don't know about Sardinia breads, but it reminds of San Francisco sourdough from home), cakes and cookies, breakfast, fresh ground Italian coffee, etc. etc. Their chocolate cake is superb and made to order.

The cafe is tucked down a small soi, Singharat soi 4, that comes out near Siam TV on one end and Wiang Kaew Road on the other across from Aromatics Spa, not far from the Thai Airways Office. It can also be reached by following Sripoom Soi 4, as it winds behind Wat Saen Muang Ma Luang.

Please note I am not the business owner either--they are lovely people who only posted once in this thread to thank the OP. I am just adding to the chorus of TV members who are lucky enough to have found the place and happy to recommend it to others.