Volunteering

The usual "organisation" charges money for the privilege of your volunteering. In short, they are exploiting people for personal gain. They are not charities, they are businesses. They know full well what they are doing is illegal under Thai Law. Probably nothing will ever happen, but if it does, would you like to be held in detention in one of Bangkok's jails, awaiting deportation? If you are a female you will likely be raped and abused. Probably the same applies if you are male. You may even die in there. In all likelihood, none of the people you volunteered to assist will help or even visit.

Much as I applaud people wishing to volunteer in Thailand, for any reason, the risks are far too great and the people too ungrateful.

Thai law is VERY clear. No work permit = severe punishment if caught. No exceptions. PERIOD. Nobody ever has anything "sewn up" here. Only until something happens and you are the fall guy.

After all of the headlines, I am expecting to hear the Volunteer Police ending up in deep poop any day now. If they have no work permits, how easy and convenient it is to get rid of them. You see how this country operates?

There is no doubt that a WP is required by law to volunteer. The volunteer organization I am communicating with send volunteer teachers to rural schools who can't afford to pay full-time native English speakers. One could therefore describe the volunteer services as an essential service for those schools. I have been told not to worry because none of his teachers apply for a WP and no action has ever been taken. Furthermore he would incur a larger fine than the volunteer so maybe he has it 'sewn up' with the local police/immigration.

Incidentally, does anyone know the procedure for obtaining a WP and how much it costs?

Edited by stolidfeline

There is no doubt that a WP is required by law to volunteer. The volunteer organization I am communicating with send volunteer teachers to rural schools who can't afford to pay full-time native English speakers. One could therefore describe the volunteer services as an essential service for those schools. I have been told not to worry because none of his teachers apply for a WP and no action has ever been taken. Furthermore he would incur a larger fine than the volunteer so maybe he has it 'sewn up' with the local police/immigration.

Incidentally, does anyone know the procedure for obtaining a WP and how much it costs?

If caught working without WP, maximum penalty is 5 years jail time but is usually reduced to fine and deportation. WP can be obtained from the Department of Employment at the Ministry of Labour. Process is not difficult but application needs to be sponsored by Thai company or registered volunteer school. 12 month WP costs 3,000 + 100 admin fee. Also need to be on Non-O or Non-B visa.

I believe the description below is pretty accurate... Quite something to think about if you've planned your retirement here, left your home country behind, decide to do a bit of Thailand volunteering, and one day find yourself getting arrested and ultimately deported from your intended (retirement) home.

Of course it doesn't happen every day, and probably quite the exception compared to the norm of people who get away with violating the law. But...do you really want to take that chance???

If caught working without WP, maximum penalty is 5 years jail time but is usually reduced to fine and deportation.

OK. After the Tsunami in HKT the gazillion vols were told to get WP's. It was a process at the old city hall and very rapid. the Gov made it clear that WP's were needed to protect the real Vols from crooks posing as Vols. the process went well, no charge. Tbhe intent was clear and no misunderstandings were ment. Now, thatg gave the police leverage to grab up the crooks sells things under the Vol rule! I think is is totally appropriate to require non paid workers to registed. Are they charging now?????

BTW, Even Farang can "Make Merit"

From the Dept. of Employment website. http://www.doe.go.th/service3_en.aspx

1. Definition

"Alien" means a natural person who is not of Thai nationality; " Work " means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

- An alien who lives in the Kingdom or receives a non-immigrant VISA to live in the Kingdom can work in Thailand after having received a work permit. (Any violation thereof shall make the employee liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months, or to a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht, or to both penalties)

- An alien who performs work that is prescribed by the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 which prohibits alien employment in certain occupations and professions is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to a fine from 2,000 to 100,000 Baht, or both penalties.

Can I replace a lamp in the house where I am living without getting in trouble ?

From the Dept. of Employment website. http://www.doe.go.th/service3_en.aspx

1. Definition

"Alien" means a natural person who is not of Thai nationality; " Work " means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

- An alien who lives in the Kingdom or receives a non-immigrant VISA to live in the Kingdom can work in Thailand after having received a work permit. (Any violation thereof shall make the employee liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months, or to a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht, or to both penalties)

- An alien who performs work that is prescribed by the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 which prohibits alien employment in certain occupations and professions is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to a fine from 2,000 to 100,000 Baht, or both penalties.

Can I replace a lamp in the house where I am living without getting in trouble ?

As long as it is dark and no one sees you :)

Of course you can. You have to put the definition of work into context. Now if you were building a wall round your house, that would be something different.

While i'm sure there are many needy causes in Thailand i am also sure it's sufficiently developed and wealthy to sort it's self out with out the need of backpacker scum trying to get there photo ops for Facebook with the remote chance of maybe cultivating a relationship with opposite sex 'duay'. There are plenty of volunteering ops in Africa where cows are struggling to stay alive let alone the inhabitants.

The fact that you choose to think that you are so worthy for volunteering in Thailand makes me so angry i'd put u over my knee.

Glad i got that off my chest. :)

OK. After the Tsunami in HKT the gazillion vols were told to get WP's. It was a process at the old city hall and very rapid. the Gov made it clear that WP's were needed to protect the real Vols from crooks posing as Vols. the process went well, no charge. Tbhe intent was clear and no misunderstandings were ment. Now, thatg gave the police leverage to grab up the crooks sells things under the Vol rule! I think is is totally appropriate to require non paid workers to registed. Are they charging now?????

BTW, Even Farang can "Make Merit"

Yes, they charge the same for a WP for a volunteer as they charge everybody else.