Single Or Joint Names On Thai Bank Account

DickFarang: Thanks for your explanation! You seem to be wellrehersed in the matter. Myself,I come from a scandinavian country,known for it´s social services,so I think I will have another look into the rules;perhaps I did miss something,in which case I must do something about it.Thanks again!

In Belgium a pension is considered to be a right based on individual labour, not a favour.

In the case of dole or benefits, a marriage or a registered partnership can be a disadvantage.

I dont understand why so many are against joint accounts, dont you trust yore wifes , then why even get married :)

Then why apply for a retirement visa when you have a Thai wife, go for a spouse visa easy and quick in CNX only 4 weeks only thing they ask for is 40k a month in income.

You dont have to show any bank acounts or paper from the bank, only a letter from your embassy or consulate that verify your income. :D

Where or what is CNX? and the 40k that is thai bahts I presume?

Thanks for all this great information.

Obviously they will not accept the money in a joint account because it is no longer solely yours and can be cleaned out at any time by the Thai co-owner. They want to be sure you have sufficient funds. Why would you want a joint account anyway?

Do not give her access to enough money to hire a hit man.

that's a classic...! :)

better safe than sorry, always register YOUR things(money, bank account, vehicules) with your name.

Exactly what he says, only a fool would open a joint account.

This is not the western world, there are some things you just don't do.

It's very easy to get a bank account, currently Siam Commercial Bank are taking all applicants (with no silliness)

PS

You come here with a multiple entry non-immigrant 'o' visa valid for 1 year (I assume you are over 50 as you talk about retirement), but do a border run every 90 days (very cheap). VISA Cost $150 or £100, no evidence of anything required, you just post your passport off to a Thai office in your country, along with the application form (avalable for download online), a couple of photos and the money. Nothing else at all required for the over 50s (I have this VISA, it actually lasts 15 months if you make the last border run in the last few days of the 1 year).

No medical

No police check

No funds check or proof

You apply for the retirement/married person visa while in Thailand (can take 3 months, usually shorter) during your 1 year stay (but then have to report to local immigration every 90 days). Phone up your local Thai consulate if you don't believe me, they never publish the Visa requirements online for some reason.

PPS

I believe under Thai inheritance law, your wife gets the contents of your Thai bank account on your death unless you have made out a Thai will saying different.

Ok, sorry to say something different..

MY bankbook is in my name. You never know what will happen!

After 23-26 years of staying here I can say that whatever they tell not all ladies are equal...

What you will want to do depends on your situation but use your brain (sober) if you can...

You can be very happy here and I am even after previous warnings BUT it depends on you to keep the family as much as possible out of your problems (UNLESS necessary) and to make sure that financially and insurance wise you are covered.

NOT a joke as I myself found myself kicked out of the Thai social security (which I used as security) as wife managed to NOT tell me that if you don't pay for 3 months and she changed the payments. NO WARNING!! They kick you out... of the insurance. It wasn't really good but it WOULD cover you for the essentials cheaply. Most of us are 50 and over so if you have an insurance watch it like gold!!

Inheritance wise I have a family here so as far as I am concerned my daughters who are studying in University in Thailand can sort it all out...