Two Police Officers Caught Redhanded In Drug Sting

george

:):D:D ,,,, only a few more thousand to go

egg

My thoughts exactly! King Canute does indeed spring to mind!

Question though - if by some miracle they were to stamp out Police corruption ( :D ) how would the Police pay for their uniforms/guns/vehicles? It's my understanding that they have to pay for all of this themselves. If this is the case, then surely a crackdown will do nothing but drive their criminal / corrupt activities further underground. Next thing you know we'll have a Police force as devious and underhand as some of those in the West.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but IMHO this crackdown should be accompanied by financial incentives to the Police to actually do their jobs - not necessarily pay increases, but at least supply them with the equipment they need to do their jobs.

It has been done in Singapore and Hong Kong. Singapore inherited a corrupt colonial police force and Lew Kwan Yue's PAP government decided it was not appropriate for his vision of Singapore. Salaries and benefits were improved and it was explained to police that they would have to perform much better to stay on earn these benefits, while a no tolerance to corruption policy was spelled out clearly. Police who wanted out were given the opportunity to retire early on reasonable terms. Then the crack down began and many who didn't believe the PAP meant business suddenly found themselves serving stiff jail sentences for corruption.

Hong Kong did in the early 70s by importing police from the UK for an anti-corruption unit (ICAC) who had to have no connections whatsover with any one in HK to qualify. Unbelievably the colonial police mutinied and expat officers raided the ICAC's offices stealing and destroying files. In the end the colonial government had to amnesty police for past corruption but after that there was no mercy and a long prison sentence for an expat superintendant finally got the message home.

Thailand could ealistically opt for a combination of these two approaches. Reform police with a combination of increased pay but stricter standards, no tolerance for corruption and early retirement for dead wood. They may have to amnesty past corruption of a minor type but not murder etc. But I am dreaming. While most Thais hate and fear the police, there is no will power to eliminate corruption. A corrupt police force is essential to allow corruption by politians, military, civil servants, judges, prosecutors etc to continue to thrive. It is actually the lynch pin of Thai society as we know it and the current status quo would virtually collapse if the police were suddenly cleaned up. So who is there with power and influence that doesn't benefit from corruption and the will to push for reform? Even the Democrats cannot stay in power for a day without support from questionable politicians within and without their own party and questionable military and civil servants. So there is no hope.

I agree. We can all laugh about 'crackdowns on crackdowns' etc but I get the feeling there is a serious attempt to clean the place up this time. I have been hearing a few whispers lately that there is a couple of very senior untouchable 'secret hands' giving directions. Sit back and think about how widespread corruption is in this country..both horizontal and vertical. Imagine what it would take to clean it up...a very long and difficult endeavour. After all, Rome wasnt burnt in one day! Have patience, times are changing. :)

Crime has risen sharply since the coup so times are definitely changing, for the worse.

Beggars everywhere, record unemployment, major industries in turmoil, drug use sky-rocketed, etc, etc, etc.

The Police have visibly lost control in places in central Bangkok, or just lost interest in enforcing any semblance of law whatsoever.

This place is in the worst condition in the 26 years I have lived here, and nowhere do I see any improvements whatsoever.

Government is trying to cleanup corruption is all quarters of the administration. Expect to hear more cases like this. Anyone with a government job that wants to keep it needs to show they are squeeky clean.

I agree. We can all laugh about 'crackdowns on crackdowns' etc but I get the feeling there is a serious attempt to clean the place up this time. I have been hearing a few whispers lately that there is a couple of very senior untouchable 'secret hands' giving directions. Sit back and think about how widespread corruption is in this country..both horizontal and vertical. Imagine what it would take to clean it up...a very long and difficult endeavour. After all, Rome wasnt burnt in one day! Have patience, times are changing. :)

we all wish it was a "serious attempt to clean the place up this time" but I feel that unless justice is SEEN to be done there is no real justice.That means that the newspapers and TV media in Thailand somehow manage to summon up the courage to expose the murky underworld of the top corrupt officials.

I agree. We can all laugh about 'crackdowns on crackdowns' etc but I get the feeling there is a serious attempt to clean the place up this time. I have been hearing a few whispers lately that there is a couple of very senior untouchable 'secret hands' giving directions. Sit back and think about how widespread corruption is in this country..both horizontal and vertical. Imagine what it would take to clean it up...a very long and difficult endeavour. After all, Rome wasnt burnt in one day! Have patience, times are changing. :D

Crime has risen sharply since the coup so times are definitely changing, for the worse.

Beggars everywhere, record unemployment, major industries in turmoil, drug use sky-rocketed, etc, etc, etc.

The Police have visibly lost control in places in central Bangkok, or just lost interest in enforcing any semblance of law whatsoever.

This place is in the worst condition in the 26 years I have lived here, and nowhere do I see any improvements whatsoever.

Get your hand off it it :D:D

Record unemployment !! Do you think that the realm has this as an exclusive issue :)

When have the RTP (Royal Thai Police) ever had anything under control ??

You say that you have been here for 26 years :D

Have you spent all that time lying pissed and sub conscious (more likely un-conscious) under some bar table in Patpong :D

Nothing has changed and nothing will change in your lifetime (what's left of it) so accept it :D

Edited by john b good