United Airlines Bkk-nrt-lax-phx

gpdjohn

Heading home next month, first time in a couple of years to spend time w/ kids and grandkids. Cheapest I could find was United Airlines. ( All the way into Phoenix )

Any recent experiences ?

Bkk-Nrt 747

Nrt-Lax 777

Haven't ever used an American carrier on this route, so was wondering..

Thx

~ John

$1.000 USD

That's all the way into Phoenix.

Where did yo buy your ticket, may I ask?? that is a decent price.

Yes indeed it is. I just paid around $1100 US for an EVA flight round trip to LAX via Taipei. A "promotion" with no frequent flyer miles.

I hear a lot of bluehair flight attendants, as well as $5.00 drinks. No free drinks on Int'l route.

I checked on that ( even though I don't drink on a plane..wanna be fully coherent if shit goes sour ) and they are again handing out free alcoholic beverages on trans pacific flights.

Don't mind the bluehair FA, keeps my mind from perverse thoughts for 10 hrs ( I was going crazy on China Air & Singapore Airlines.. even was dreaming that they were all naked..and asking me what I wanted :D:D:) )

I'm curious on how the aircraft are, old, new, crappy..inflight entertainment, seating ( yeah, I'm in the back and if that bad, I'll try to upgrade..)

$1.000 USD

That's all the way into Phoenix.

Where did yo buy your ticket, may I ask?? that is a decent price.

Amazingly from thier website. Checked once and it was the mentioned, checked again 5 minutes later and it was up to $1800, wited another 5 minutes, found 1k and bought it.

I flew UA in July, BKK-NAR-ORD-PWM (Portland Maine). Yup, the 747 was old, but very clean and looked like the interior updated very recently. Service was fine, unobtrusive but there when you needed something, and pleasant. They very nicely bumped me up to Premium Economy on several sectors - so that I could have a group of seats to myself! Business attire and a smile does help sometimes.

The price was right, left on time and arrived a bit early each time. Baggage was not tampered with (used green cable ties - thanks to whoever made the suggestion of colored cable ties).

I'd fly with them again...even though I remember when they bought out Agony Airlines :)

I fly United every year, food is airline food, don't watch the entertainment anyway, service is fine, I don't give a toss what the attendants look like, as long as they do their job.

That is an amazing price to Phoenix, well done. I suggest you sign up for frequent flyer miles, if you plan on flying to Phoenix on a regular basis.

My flight from Atlanta, Georgia to Chiang Mai via LAX and Taipei cost $745, taxes included. I got it through BestTravel and the airlines are Delta in the US and China beyond LA. I did book well in advance.

I've flown United many times and have always found them to be very competent and comfortable.

Heading home next month, first time in a couple of years to spend time w/ kids and grandkids. Cheapest I could find was United Airlines. ( All the way into Phoenix )

Any recent experiences ?

Bkk-Nrt 747

Nrt-Lax 777

Thx

~ John

I always liked united, that is until I tried ANA when they had a very good promotion. I still fly united because of the flexibility and I rack up the miles. What do I do with the miles? Well, this year I juggled my dates around so that United had no seats on the dates I chose so I could use them on their partner airline ANA.

I don't care about the drinks or food or service, I don't ask for any special attention and am not picky about what I eat so I wouldn't notice if one was better than the other. To me it is all about the entertainment system and a big projection screen with a few movies on a long flight doesn't cut it (United). ANA has seat back screens with personal on-demand movies, TV shows, and video games. When you are stuck in a tube for 20 hours it is all about the entertainment.

PS: Don't bring a guitar. :)

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I just flew to LAX on United.. I live in Bangkok, but found the best deal was to fly out of Hong Kong to LAX on united for $625 RT with tax. Did the AirAsia To HK for $125..So not a bad deal. Anyway, United was ok decent.. airplane food, no LCD in the seats, but they did have very clear LCD's in the aisles. The staff is slow, just because I think they had 3 people for all of the eco class. So the food service was slow. The drinks between the two meals, was only water and offered twice I think. Again for the price can't complain much.

Hey Guys,

26 September

I live 6 months in USA and 6 months in LOS and have used United quite frequently.

Here's some additional tips:

The best deals are from anywhere in Asia to any American coastal city. You get hammered in prices and services

once you head to the hinterlands of the interior USA. You can check out combo diff carrier flights, but United is quite good.

$1200 RT for up to a YEAR in duration. United charges $250 for flight changes plus upcharge if your desired flight has risen, so

be sure. ANA is 2-3 months tix duration and $100 per change order.

Just get some small bottles of Smirnoff, Jack Daniels, etc. You are allowed one ZipLock baggie of liquids

that you can bring in carry-on. I leave the toothpaste in my check-through, lol. I get a few cups ice, some Snappy Tom jucie, make my own Bloody

Mary and blitz out.

Wake up all refreshed.

I have done ABQ-SFO-NAR-BKK quite a bit. Mostly the long haul between Tokyo and LAX or SFO or Seattle (SEATAC)

is on a 777. ABQ is Albuquerque, New Mexico, east of Phoenix(PHX) by 525 miles.

The 747 is used on the Bkk-Tokyo route.

The PHX-LAX or ABQ-SFO can be a "CRJ." This is code for a Bombadier "Canadian Regional Jet." Seats 55 and twin engined.

Gets the job done.

A bit cramped, yet a great jet. Flies at 26k altitude vs 36k (feet) and thus, you can actually pick out landmarks if you like that sorta thing.

Hope this helps. The wait times are minimal at each airport change. Be sure to check your luggage all the way through to your final destination, then no worries.

Yes, I got my airtix from the United website as well. Bookmark site and check frequently. Prices are volatile.

Bicycles are $100 for intra-USA flights and $200 for international flights in case you needed to know......

Bring iPod or lappy for your own entertainment. I like to snooze.

Earplugs on any flight a plus.

burgdawg

i guess nobody notices the horrific departure/arrival times from bkk on UA...7am out and 11p in..u essentialy burn 2 days on that schedule.

eva air sched is by far superior..leaving bkk at noon or 5p and arrive bkk at 11a or so..

just bought a 30day tkt bkk lax rt on eva at less then 800usd

Any recent experiences ?

Bkk-Nrt 747

Nrt-Lax 777

Thx

~ John

I always liked united, that is until I tried ANA when they had a very good promotion. I still fly united because of the flexibility and I rack up the miles. What do I do with the miles? Well, this year I juggled my dates around so that United had no seats on the dates I chose so I could use them on their partner airline ANA.

I don't care about the drinks or food or service, I don't ask for any special attention and am not picky about what I eat so I wouldn't notice if one was better than the other. To me it is all about the entertainment system and a big projection screen with a few movies on a long flight doesn't cut it (United). ANA has seat back screens with personal on-demand movies, TV shows, and video games. When you are stuck in a tube for 20 hours it is all about the entertainment.

PS: Don't bring a guitar. :)

So, no seat back entertainment on the 777 ?

Last time I flew EVA. Upgraded to business class and was not impressed at all. Possibly because the previous flight over was on Singapore business class. Eva was a 777 into Taipei, then steerage class plus in a aging 747 that was horrible. I'd fly 'em again, but going UAL was cheaper all the way into Phoenix.. ( yes, CRJ from LAX to PHX and a A320 out to SFO on return)

* Last time into LAX, I used UAL from LAX to PHX and was worried about missing the flight because Singapore landed late, then broke the push bar at arrival, don't know why they wanted to haul us into the jetway, but the dopes broke it..another 15 min sitting in front of the gate and you know how customs are there....but anyway, off I hustle from the Brady terminal down to the UAL check in and low and behold they didn't have a plane to use or able to find one to Phoenix...

I finally got home at 0400 a.m ( PHX)

I used to like TED..but that's over with.

Last year I switched over to the Star Alliance route from BKK. (I still fly EVA into Thailand though,)

The UA service has finally been overhauled with the new seating arrangements and aircraft interiors. The BKK route was one of the last to get the refreshing and boy it needed it. Because of the extra security on the UAL flights, you need to give yourself an extra 30minutes or so to clear the security at the gate. (Not complaining because the extra thorough search addresses the poor security at BKK.) I have flown the BKK-NRT route 6X with 3 flights on UAL, 1 on TG and 2 on ANA.

I detest UAL when it originates in North America, but service originating in Asia is comparable to ANA and TG. My UAL flights always left on time while TG was very late and 1 ANA late. The new UAL interiors are nicer than ANA and both ANA and UAL beat TG hands down. Food is the same for all the airlines since they get their food from Thai airways catering. It's crap. Entertainment sucks on Star alliance except for SQ. UAL is alot more generous with the booze than TG and ANA. Nothing is more annoying than the EVA Airlines habit of hiding the booze after 1 pass and UAL doesn't do that. Sure the UAL flight attendants are old battle axes, but they aren't as rude as they used to be. I eeven saw one smile last flight.

Long story short: UAL aint as bad as it used to be.It's trying to be better and I think after a great many of its customers deserted it, it got the message about the bad service.

Maybe if they were all beefcake lads that might change your opinion. :) I find most of the male FA(s) seem to be gay. :D

I somehow do not believe a petite timid Asian woman in a tight uniform and on girly shoes could get your butt safely out of that plane should it be necessary.

Consequently, I'm all for beefcakes, regardless of their orientation. In fact super bitchy muscle mary drag queens who don't take no shit from passengers and can get a crowd to not panic and cooperate should be mandatory. I just don't know how you would test applicants for that.

Edited by mrdome

In fact super bitchy muscle mary drag queens who don't take no shit from passengers and can get a crowd to not panic and cooperate should be mandatory. I just don't know how you would test applicants for that.

Air Canada employee lounge.