Kana Translation

mikejphuket

I am looking for the english translation or scientific name for kana (khana). i have searched this forum as well as Thai language forum and best i have found is chinese broccoli. looked at that on wikipedia and is not the same. also not in my dictionary.

I noticed that some Thai restaurants refer to chinese brocolli as kana, and others call it kale. Some refer to kana as young kale. It's quite confusing and I never am sure what I will get when I order kana, kale or chinese brocolli. I asume when you say kana you refer to the veggie that sort of looks like a longish brussell sprout that's partially opened? If that's the one, I have never seen a consistent English (or romanised) word for it. It's definitely not chinese brocolli, that much I know.

post-51305-1253893719_thumb.jpg

I am looking for the english translation or scientific name for kana (khana). i have searched this forum as well as Thai language forum and best i have found is chinese broccoli. looked at that on wikipedia and is not the same. also not in my dictionary.

I noticed that some Thai restaurants refer to chinese brocolli as kana, and others call it kale. Some refer to kana as young kale. It's quite confusing and I never am sure what I will get when I order kana, kale or chinese brocolli. I asume when you say kana you refer to the veggie that sort of looks like a longish brussell sprout that's partially opened? If that's the one, I have never seen a consistent English (or romanised) word for it. It's definitely not chinese brocolli, that much I know.

here is exactly what i am referring to:

• 4 weeks later...

Khana, kale, collard greens and broccoli are all classified as different varieties of brassica oleracea. In North America Khana (คะน้า) is usually translated as chinese broccoli although this is deceptive as khana looks nothing like broccoli. It is acually a smaller leaved variety of collard greens. Kale has larger more curly leaves. Since khana is a variety unto itself it has no real correct translation. I have seen it called chinese kale, gailan (incorrectly) and most commonly chinese broccoli.

If you are buying it in Thailand you would of course, ask for Khana (คะน้า) . In North America you can find the real thing in many asian markets but if you need to substitute use the smallest collard greens you can find as it is the the most similar. Kale and broccoli will work but make poor substitutions.

post-23727-1256287433_thumb.jpg

Khana

post-23727-1256287515.jpg

Collard Greens

post-23727-1256287583_thumb.jpg

Kale

• 1 month later...
post-51305-1253893719_thumb.jpg

here is exactly what i am referring to:

I'm fairly certain that is choy sum in Chinese.