Bringing Bike Parts Over With Luggage

mixed

Technically not legal as you are importing bike parts with no paid customs duty.........however my cases are always full of parts to keep my bikes in in good nick.

So as long as you just walk thru it should be fine. Although there have been all those stories about ppl being stopped after passing thru customs and being charged for having to many cigarettes or alcohol. I'm considering front forks, I wonder what they would do if they found them?

The parts would be second hand, this may make a difference. What if you declared them with receipts. Any idea of the tax rate?

brought in front forks myself.

No worries.

But if you look like a drug addict then I say you will get stopped.

Also carrying 2 carbon fibre wheels in plastic shopping bags does not work either. As my mate found out. But he got away with it. Saying it was a Xmas present for his 2 year old son. This was backed up with a photo of his boy eating a chocolate cake.

The Customs "spotters" are hanging out near the gate of flights like Emirates from Dubai. Had a large Duubai Duty Free bag inspected there and then and was told to put the surplus bacchy elsewhere :) Red handheld radios... Whatever you do no not use duty free bags!

They also stopped me at the arrivals hall, at an elevator. Frisked my bag, looking for cigarettes.

No one ever showed a badge or ID. Makes me wonder...

I'll be bringing in 2 used leather suits in 10 days. Become part of a crowd scene when you walk through. Good luck!

Chris

I got stopped at LHR security because I had bike parts and spanners in my carry on luggage. Once I went back downstairs and checked in my hand luggage as hold luggage all was OK. Apparently they thought I might brain the pilot with a high lift camshaft or something!

Tip: This actually saved me a shedload of excess baggage charge as my main bag had already been checked through and they didn't add the 11 kilos of hand luggage to what was already on my allowance. Maybe worth considering if you are going to be overweight?

Cheers,

Pikey.

I got stopped at LHR security because I had bike parts and spanners in my carry on luggage. Once I went back downstairs and checked in my hand luggage as hold luggage all was OK. Apparently they thought I might brain the pilot with a high lift camshaft or something!

Tip: This actually saved me a shedload of excess baggage charge as my main bag had already been checked through and they didn't add the 11 kilos of hand luggage to what was already on my allowance. Maybe worth considering if you are going to be overweight?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Now pikey that is a good idea.......i`ll` try and remember that thanks :)

When I came to LOS to live I brought a fully built MTB in a bike bag -it was unique as I started with a new frame add some old and new stuff but if pressed for a valuation the replacement costs would have been about £3K. In preparation for packing I cleaned everything - hel_l it had never looked so clean. I expected problems at check-in in Heathrow so I was first at the Etihad desk as it opened. Needless to say I was overloaded with baggage, hand as well, the check in staff were very helpful they told me to carry in my pocked or what ever some items out of my carry on stuff to bring the weight down. For the bike in its lovely designed bag they went to see an officer, a very Arab chap came back and made me an offer If I signed a paper waving any claim of damage they would take it - NO excess baggage charge.

On arrival at Don Muang when passing thro the green lane A customs officer said I was importing a bike - I explained it was for my personal use. WE debated a while during which he looked all over the bike untill he found a little mud on the tyres. After that all was well.

So the moral of the story is; don't make it look like new reject the 'box' just wrap in bubble wrap or what.

• 2 weeks later...

Valuable topic, but hoping there might be more recent info/experience with bringing over a used bicycle for personal use. I found Pez's remarks interesting/encouraging, but maybe out of date, especially given the tighter customs net at Suvarnabhumi of late.

I've got a used mountain tandem that I plan on bringing over, but don't want to get reamed at customs. Pretty big box, so can't really hide it. I will plan on going through the red line, then see what happens. How, if at all, do they account for use/depreciation? What can I do to help keep the tax down if they decide to charge me. I've got photos of wife and I riding our mountain bikes, as well as some with us on one of those cheap rental tandems in Cha Am. This tandem is not new, and could be plenty soiled if need be. To purchase the exact model new would be very expensive. If I had to pay 40% duty on the new price, don't think I would bring it.

Unless things have changed recently I've never heard of duty being charged on USED items at SwampyBoom.

In the case of Salween I would think he should be fine as it's personal possessions, which I think are tax free.

I know someone who travels often with several ppl, they all return empty handed. He was considering a side business of 2nd hand bike parts and would prefer to do things properly than try and sneak thru. I think the tax rates on 2nd parts is low.

• 2 months later...

Just an update to report that on 7 January I arrived with a tandem box and was waved through customs. I even declared an extra bottle of wine, but was sent on may way anyway.

As an aside, was pleased that China Airlines just counted my 64# tandem box as one of my two pieces of allowed luggage. Not a lot of that kind of service going around any more. Maybe I was just lucky.

brought in front forks myself.

No worries.

But if you look like a drug addict then I say you will get stopped.

Also carrying 2 carbon fibre wheels in plastic shopping bags does not work either. As my mate found out. But he got away with it. Saying it was a Xmas present for his 2 year old son. This was backed up with a photo of his boy eating a chocolate cake.

:) Thanks for the laugh, that is wonderful.