Jomtien 2nd Road, Update

Basil B

I have received news this morning that work on the section going through "JBC" will commence early October, seems like City Hall has finally obtained the land behind the Villa Navin.

Wonder if work will actually start or something else will delay it?

I have received news this morning that work on the section going through "JBC" will commence early October, seems like City Hall has finally obtained the land behind the Villa Navin.

Wonder if work will actually start or something else will delay it?

I'd be happy if they'd sort out the shambles they've left at the Maruman cut through,,in typical fashion, wrecked it and left it.

just wondering..

where will the 2nd road come out to? between S and A buildings (in JBC area) or behind S building?

Explorer

Between S and A building cutting between the two swimming pools in JBC .They have already cut through Villa Navin in the last two weeks ,and will be breaking through JBC next week or the week after .

So we are looking forward to at least one year of dirt road between the two parts, probably 2 to 4 weeks where one has to climb over the wall to get to his condo in the A Condobuildings.

They seem to be doing it in well planed stages .Motor vehicles will have to be able to access A buildings at all times .I will try to upload current photos of the current development .

They have now cut through Villa N avin ,

P9220006.jpg

Today they cut down trees in the childrens play area of JBC for the new road ,

P9260001.jpg

Official notice on the wall ,saying cut through early October ,

P9260002.jpg

Edited by Thaifan2

Thanks for the info Basil, I arrive back at JBC next Saturday. I agree with a second road in Jomtien, just thinking about the noise and dust we're all going to experience for the next few months. The smaller pool used to be my quiet oasis, alas, not for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the info Basil, I arrive back at JBC next Saturday. I agree with a second road in Jomtien, just thinking about the noise and dust we're all going to experience for the next few months. The smaller pool used to be my quiet oasis, alas, not for the foreseeable future.

Next few months?? You've gotta be kidding, they've been working on this road for the last 3 years! They're good at digging the holes but no so quick at finishing the job--I'll be amazed if it's completed before 2012.

What is the plan for joining the new road with Thappraya? At the moment, it finishes by Rompho market, and then you have the old road that goes past teh tax office and twists around the block of shops (Pukky's Bar and the bakery), and then twists again by Shining Star/Jomtien Plaza Phase 2 until it reaches the Somme battlefield Hanuman Statue.

Are they going to cut a straight road from Rompho to Thappraya? That would (AFAICS) involve consuming a large piece of the land at the rear of Jomtien Palm Beach hotel. Or is the new road also going to twist and turn, like a twisty-turny thing.

What is the plan for joining the new road with Thappraya? At the moment, it finishes by Rompho market, and then you have the old road that goes past teh tax office and twists around the block of shops (Pukky's Bar and the bakery), and then twists again by Shining Star/Jomtien Plaza Phase 2 until it reaches the Somme battlefield Hanuman Statue.

Are they going to cut a straight road from Rompho to Thappraya? That would (AFAICS) involve consuming a large piece of the land at the rear of Jomtien Palm Beach hotel. Or is the new road also going to twist and turn, like a twisty-turny thing.

I understand it will go straight through from the market to Hanuman - through the Hotel grounds, passing the row of shops at the Lan Bae end and then through the battlefield!

What a mess it is and what an advert for the upmarket resort they are trying to promote!

It is now 3 or 4 years since they first started digging holes in the road at the Hanuman statue and this is what it now looks like on one of its better days.

post-24045-1254036284_thumb.png post-24045-1254037131_thumb.png

God help people who are trying to carry on a business in that area.

When I see reports about folks from the provinces coming to Pattaya to learn about how things are done by the professionals here, I wonder if they tell them about how it is almost 5 years since they started work on the 2 km stretch of the Thappraya road.

Maybe that's why they are so slow sorting out the Hanuman end of the road - they have to buy the land off the Palm Beach hotel, who will probably be holding out for some ridiculous sum? Looking at Google Earth, they have left a section of land free between the row of shops and the two condo buildings (Shining Star & Plaza 2). I guess this is where the road will come out to meet Thappraya at Hanuman. At least it's a nice straight-line extrapolation of the existing 2nd road route. That seems to mean that not only will they have to buy a large chunk of land off Palm Beach, but also demolish a biggish service building that's in the way too.

post-51556-1254108910_thumb.png

Maybe that's why they are so slow sorting out the Hanuman end of the road - they have to buy the land off the Palm Beach hotel, who will probably be holding out for some ridiculous sum? Looking at Google Earth, they have left a section of land free between the row of shops and the two condo buildings (Shining Star & Plaza 2). I guess this is where the road will come out to meet Thappraya at Hanuman. At least it's a nice straight-line extrapolation of the existing 2nd road route. That seems to mean that not only will they have to buy a large chunk of land off Palm Beach, but also demolish a biggish service building that's in the way too.

Guderian

I don't think they need to demolish any buildings belonging to Palm Beach. That greenish area that appears to be in the way, was the hotel tennis courts, I think.

But I imagine you're right in that they probably didn't sell cheaply.

Guderian

I don't think they need to demolish any buildings belonging to Palm Beach. That greenish area that appears to be in the way, was the hotel tennis courts, I think.

But I imagine you're right in that they probably didn't sell cheaply.

There is also a Shrine behind the the Palm Beach opposite the tax office which may also be an issue.

AFAIK Pattaya wants a Formula one Race and that S combination after the Hanuman will be a key part of the racetrak :D

or was that now the Rally Championship, have to go and ask my mate who told me that last night in the bar :D

Think it would have to be moto-cross the state it's in at the moment! :)

>>Maybe that's why they are so slow sorting out the Hanuman end of the road - they have to buy the land off the Palm Beach hotel, who will probably be holding out for some ridiculous sum?<<

Its compulsory purchase at less than market value as far as i know .

There is also a Shrine behind the the Palm Beach opposite the tax office which may also be an issue.

Actually, I think the shrine will be quite a few metres away from the new road but the road will separate it - and part of the existing car/bus park - from the rest of the hotel property.

I think the line will be something like this - the spirit house is to the right of the green plastic/tarpaulin near the "old" road.

post-24045-1254142078_thumb.png

I took a look at the rest of the Second Road development and was surprised to see how much work had been done.

I had been led to believe previously that it was to join Sukhumvit at Chaiyapreuk but I see that it will come out further along - opposite the S-Con concrete sign.

post-24045-1254142840_thumb.png post-24045-1254143039_thumb.pngpost-24045-1254143300_thumb.png

All very exciting - but I imagine it will be a little while before it is all complete. :)

AFAIK Pattaya wants a Formula one Race and that S combination after the Hanuman will be a key part of the racetrak :D

or was that now the Rally Championship, have to go and ask my mate who told me that last night in the bar :)

I did hear a few years ago, Bernie & Max were talking to the Thai Government before Malaysia was ever thought of, but the talks did not last long when it became clear that Thailand's bureaucracy meant there would be 80% tax to pay on every car.

It would be nice idea to have a F1 circuit in Jomtien but I see one big problem, car parking...

That would not be a big problem. With the excelent public transport system we have here, Pattaya is able to cope with any demand. Nowadays 50 percent of songtaews are empty, 30 have one passenger, 10 maybe 3 or 4 and 10 are full. Prices would switch to USD for everything over the event, so 5 .... no 10 or is it 20 now for a ride? :D

Back to the second road. One problem I see is that there is no adequat drainage system. Floodings will be normal in rainy season, however thats good for the Jetski Operators as they then can drive them in the waters of Lake 2. road into the sea. :)

Going to immigration yesterday, it was my frist trip to Jomtien since 3 months. Frankly speaking I wonder why people like Jomtien. It just looks messy, dirty, dusty plus it is getting more and more th crime and robbery center of the area. Think it's about time for a big cleanup.

Just my 5 cents.

Going to immigration yesterday, it was my frist trip to Jomtien since 3 months. Frankly speaking I wonder why people like Jomtien. It just looks messy, dirty, dusty plus it is getting more and more th crime and robbery center of the area. Think it's about time for a big cleanup.

Just my 5 cents.

When 2nd road gets finished it will be a much better place .

That would not be a big problem. With the excelent public transport system we have here, Pattaya is able to cope with any demand. Nowadays 50 percent of songtaews are empty, 30 have one passenger, 10 maybe 3 or 4 and 10 are full. Prices would switch to USD for everything over the event, so 5 .... no 10 or is it 20 now for a ride? :D

Back to the second road. One problem I see is that there is no adequat drainage system. Floodings will be normal in rainy season, however thats good for the Jetski Operators as they then can drive them in the waters of Lake 2. road into the sea. :)

post-20091-1254204343_thumb.jpg

Jomtien, Soi 5 November 2008, you could certainly Jetski up to View Talay Villas!!!

Any bets on safe crossings of this new second road? :)

They are planning to build a pedestrian bridge over the new road connecting the two halfs of JBC .As far as i know they are hoping for City hall funding for the bridge .Whether they get it is another thing .

Just my 5 cents.

But when will that be?

But when will that be?

It's taken about 3 years to get to where it is so far, which is approx at the half way stage so my estimate would be another 3years at least, maybe 5 years to be more realistic.

So 2012 - 2014

:)

The last year has been bad enough with the work on the section coming up the hill from Pattaya, but this latest shambles with the destruction of anything resembling a road all the way down into Jomtien and the Hanuman corner is truly ridiculous. Getting to Pattaya and back with all the potholes and mud has become a dangerous and unpleasant experience. I move out of Jomtien at the end of next month and it can't come soon enough!

If you're on a small motorbike, the section on the hill where they are working now is no fun, and quite dangerous if it has been raining. I'm avoiding it, and to get into South Pattaya I either go the Theprassit/Soi 17 route, or else head all the way out to Suk and then back on Pattaya Tai or Klang. I just hope they don't do their usual trick and run out of money/will power halfway through, leaving an abandoned ruined road until someone in City Hall can come up with some extra dosh.

• 3 weeks later...

If you look at the way JBC is laid out it seems obvious that this road was accounted-for in the design, with the gap between A and S blocks. So the original developers must have known of the plans. I wonder what would have happened if they had just gone ahead anyway and closed the gap? Or maybe they dont actually own the land in the gap and this was retained by City Hall?

I'll bet the owners never let on though, until the road became open knowledge.

The apartments at the front of A1 are going to become really noisy.