How Do You Reply To Thai 's "hello" ?

Deksan

I guess everyone had it ? One thai guy say "Hello", and then follow up with one sentence he remembers from his high school time ? So far i have had :

- fuc_k you ( Was a kid on a motorcycle ... so it was easy to say it ?)

- See you again tomorrow ??

- I cant speak strawberry (That was actually funny well it made me smile)

This are the one that marked my memory ? How do you usually reply / react to those "Hellos" ? I usually smile and keep walking or say "Hello" back and keep walking ?

What do you do ? What is the best / funniest sentence you had following the Hello ? :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this didn't come with "hello", in one conversation with a Thai I met along the street he suddenly said, "How bad is your AIDS?" I said, "I don't have AIDS. Why would you say that?" "I thought all Americans had AIDS."

Another time my mother was visiting and in Ayutthaya we were chatting with some Thais who spoke rather good English. They asked where she was from and she said, "Florida in the U.S." "Oh, did you ride in the Space Shuttle?"

Back when I lived in Taiwan, (about 20 years back) the kids there would commonly shout....

"hel_l-Yo, ABC 123" to show of there vast Enslish skills.... and then they would giglle and run away because they had already spoken all the English they knew.

Sometimes a person with some comand of English would try to show off to their friends and try to carry on a conversation it would go like this:

Taiwanese (T) = What is your name?

Reply = It is 8 o'clock

T = What is your name ?

Reply = it is 8 o'clock

T = Where are you from?

R = I am 20 years old

The Taiwanese kid would eventually get flustered and walk away from me the "white monkey" but it was good fun.

From an Austrian friend of mine:

Thai: Where you come from?

My friend: I'm from Austria.

Thai: Aaah, Australia - good country

My friend: No, not Australia, AUSTRIA in Europe, I'm from Vienna in Austria

Thai: Yes, I know..Australia - biiig country

My friend: NOOO, not Australia! AUSTRIA in Europe, Vienna...you know - Mozart?

Thai: Yeah i know - and Kanguruhs... :)

Edited by TallForeigner

Although this didn't come with "hello", in one conversation with a Thai I met along the street he suddenly said, "How bad is your AIDS?" I said, "I don't have AIDS. Why would you say that?" "I thought all Americans had AIDS."

To be fair, lots of Americans think the same thing about Thais.

I love these happy clappy threads....its what makes living out here a joy

last week i arrived at Central 10 minutes before it opens and everyone is milling around outside and a Thai teenager made room for me to sit down on the steps which i politely did then he spent the next 10 minutes shouting random football names and associated words to me while smiling broadly as i repeated them and tagged on other words.

So his total English is learnt from ESPN and watching football... nothing else but football teams, footballers names and associated words like penalty, scores......

Not really funny but it made me smile on the day having completely random football words thrown at me for 10 minutes as if we were having a conversation...

Your grasp of geography concerning the world is about as good as that of the indigenous natives residing here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", which is to say it’s next to non-existent. ...

I mean Austria and Australia are both in North America, right?

FWIW Australia is its own country, as well being its own continent, and is located in the "Southern Hemisphere" of the world (that means the bottom half). Austria is its own country, but is in the continent called Europe, which is located in the "Northern Hemisphere". Sadly neither is located in "North America".. Nice amusing try though. I know stuff like this is difficult for someone whose out there 'glad-handing' the thais day in day out.

I just don't have time to be the foreign good will ambassador to these people. Good to know you seem to have shouldered the good will ambassaors role instead. Keep up the great work, as you say, "the thais love it...", or at least you think they do.

It is my observation, opinion, that other Asian countries, like the Philippines, China and Japan recognize the importance of Interlang and do a credible job of teaching it their subjects.

There are hundreds of Philipine women who gain Canadian Permanent residency after 2 years as Nannies.

Try to find a Thai who can pass the litercay requirement to take one of these positions!

A Farang should realize at all times that what seems to be an innocent comment/question/attempt at conversation is primarily an opportunity for them to practice their English with a 'live specimen'. Friendly most likely, but mostly to practice. Whereas the farang sees it as an effort by the Thai to talk and establish a relationship, that is not the motivation.

I wouldn't belabour a misunderstanding. If they confuse Austria with Australia I dont make an effort to clear up the confusion. To speak English and be approximately right is good enough. I mean Austria and Australia are both in North America, right?

I will often reply to a shouted hello with a Sawadee Kap........or stop and shake their hand. They love to shake the hand. it is really making a communication with a Farang and they appreciate the Farang taking the time.

Even on my early morning fitness runs. I pass a place where there are always a bunch of old ladies sitting on a small platform in front of their homes. I make a big show of wiping my sweaty hands on my towel, and then proceed to shake each one's hand with great enthusiasm accompanied by "Yeah, awright, whoo", then continue on my run immediately. They love it and now look forward to when I come by. Parents also love it when I stop to shake the hand of their young one. If the young one is shy, I will shake hands with the mother to demonstrate....They love it!

LOVE IT :)

Your grasp of geography concerning the world is about as good as that of the indigenous natives residing here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", which is to say it’s next to non-existent. ...

FWIW Australia is its own country, as well being its own continent, and is located in the "Southern Hemisphere" of the world (that means the bottom half). Austria is its own country, but is in the continent called Europe, which is located in the "Northern Hemisphere". Sadly neither is located in "North America".. Nice amusing try though. I know stuff like this is difficult for someone whose out there 'glad-handing' the thais day in day out.

In my opinion, especially given the hygiene I see most thais exhibit here; I wouldn't EVER shake hands with any one whether I knew them or not. I rarely even acknowledge thais that I see on a daily basis with anything more than a slight head nod, no matter what language they address me in.

I just don't have time to be the foreign good will ambassador to these people. Good to know you seem to have shouldered the good will ambassaors role instead. Keep up the great work, as you say, "the thais love it...", or at least you think they do.

Re the hygiene thing my experience has been the opposite. Never met a group people who spend so much time in the shower (at least my wife) and unlike any farang I met, even brush their teeth after lunch. Perhaps it is they who is happy you greet them with only a nod Todd. :)

There is a lovely kid where I live. He is around 5 years old. He always greets me with such joy. He know "Hello" and one phrase. The thing is that somehow he thinks it´s one word.

It can sound like this:

Smiling kid: Hello!

Me: Hello!

Smiling kid: I'mfinethankyou!

Edited by Hawkup2000

I usually smile and keep walking or say "Hello" back and keep walking ?

A good approach. :)

A few years back I too was also greeted by a 5 year old.

All he knew was "<deleted> you"

I had a quiet word with his father.

Now at 9 his English has improved. :D

Somebody has no sense of humour.

Somebody thinks I was serious with the Austria/Australia/NA comment.

Somebody is a curmudgeonly Farang.

Somebody is an unfriendly guest in the home of his host.

Somebody is maybe a nerd.

Somebody needs to lighten up.

love it! kangaroos are a real pest in Austria.

On the weekend I bought two student dictionaries for a friend's 9 & 11 year olds.

In the helpful section on flags and countries it shows the correct Australian flag, alongside a picture of a couple in (sp?) leiderhosen, Tyrol hats, guy with huge Euro-style moustache.

Disappointed there wan't a CD with the book, likely to have featured the traditional Australian yodelling.

I'm afraid Austria didn't rate a mention.

And for New Zealand, correct flag and nice pic of typical kiwi couple in their grass skirts (OK I've invited some fun here haven't I?, sheep jokes etc)

My best local 'chat', not funny but it surprised me at the time, traffic policeman waved me down at Chalong roundabout, said a cheery "Good morning OK" and walked away.

Maybe someone dared him to talk to the idiot on a bicycle before I was reincarnated as a bug.

I guess everyone had it ? One thai guy say "Hello", and then follow up with one sentence he remembers from his high school time ? So far i have had :

- fuc_k you ( Was a kid on a motorcycle ... so it was easy to say it ?)

- See you again tomorrow ??

- I cant speak strawberry (That was actually funny well it made me smile)

This are the one that marked my memory ? How do you usually reply / react to those "Hellos" ? I usually smile and keep walking or say "Hello" back and keep walking ?

What do you do ? What is the best / funniest sentence you had following the Hello ? :D

One of the best is maybe 'hello.., I love you' from teenagers (not meant seriously, but rather as a joke).

If the talk is 'friendly' (e.g. a friendly 'hello') I reply likewise, but if it is dumb: 'you,you,you..'; 'hey youuuuuu', or nasty: 'go back'; 'f... you', etc., I either keep walking or reply in a similar way (depending on situation). :)

Edited by 7

What i really don't understand is how someone who evolved to be a human still manage to think shouting random words theyve heard on the TV in english constitutes a conversation?

when i went to many other 3rd world countries. people would speak to me in their own language that i did not understand+sign language or they'd get out the appropriate 2-3words of english.. yet in thailand, they say thai words mixed with non-sense english word and expect you to understand

Your grasp of geography concerning the world is about as good as that of the indigenous natives residing here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", which is to say it's next to non-existent. ...

In my opinion, especially given the hygiene I see most thais exhibit here; I wouldn't EVER shake hands with any one whether I knew them or not. I rarely even acknowledge thais that I see on a daily basis with anything more than a slight head nod, no matter what language they address me in.

you made all of this up. i don't believe a word of it.

Your grasp of geography concerning the world is about as good as that of the indigenous natives residing here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", which is to say it's next to non-existent. ...

We see where you're coming from, Ebeneezer. You will be visited by three spirits...

I usually smile and keep walking or say "Hello" back and keep walking ?

A good approach. :)

A few years back I too was also greeted by a 5 year old.

All he knew was "<deleted> you"

I had a quiet word with his father.

Now at 9 his English has improved. :D

Ah, this happened to me a few weeks ago at a temple here in Bangkok. The kid was a little older...maybe 8. With his parents! "Hello, <deleted> you."

Somebody has no sense of humour.

Somebody thinks I was serious with the Austria/Australia/NA comment.

Somebody is a curmudgeonly Farang.

Somebody is an unfriendly guest in the home of his host.

Somebody is maybe a nerd.

Somebody needs to lighten up.

Agree on all points.