English Language School For Thai Gf - Reccomendations?

TenDreams

First of all, sorry, I know I have seen topics on this before, but couldn't find the threads on searching.

If anyone else happens across them, then a link would be well appreciated. (As always in a hurry today)

My Thai GF wants to improve her English at a language school, pref. between Asoke-On Nut.

She also wants to learn some Japanese.

The one school she has found is Stamford Education Centre in Ekkamai, who do not appear to have a website, and want a lot of money up front, with no trial course or anything.

Anybody know if this place is actually any good?

Any recommendations would be most welcome.

I could teach her myself of course, but we decided that's probably not the best option!

<P.S. Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, sorry, please move>

TIA

First of all, sorry, I know I have seen topics on this before, but couldn't find the threads on searching.

If anyone else happens across them, then a link would be well appreciated. (As always in a hurry today)

My Thai GF wants to improve her English at a language school, pref. between Asoke-On Nut.

The one school she has found is Stamford Education Centre in Ekkamai, who do not appear to have a website, and want a lot of money up front, with no trial course or anything.

I could teach her myself of course, but we decided that's probably not the best option!

TIA

Hi Tendreams

I started my GF (now wife) with ECC when she first came to BKK.

In fact after the first set of lessons I signed her up for a full 12 months, which was at a discount.

I also use them at my work place to help up skill some of my staff.

They have a number of office close to BTS stations or a least only a short walk away.

http://www.eccthai.com/contactus.asp

Good luck, Craig

I teach adults from my home. I researched everything I could and drew on my knowledge of Thai's having lived here 18 months. This is what I found, and I think most will agree.

1. Yes, Thai's have short attention spans on anything serious. They will interupt by talking amongst themselves and laughing. Impossible teaching conditions to say the least.

2. Yes. Thai's can read and write English much better than they can speak it.

3. Yes. Don't try to teach her yourself, unless you like arguments.

The solutions I came up with:

I found an online school out of Seattle, Washington, U.S.A. The web site is 3W's-Live-Mocha etc. Now take out the dash's and write it as a normal e-dress. We cannot put URL's in our posts. (note the L & M ARE capitols) This website teaches many languages and it is a "go at you own pace learning process".

I gather my students around my big screen monitor, and help them learn the lessons which are : Speaking, listening, picture/word association and vice versa. The best part is it is free and extremely easy because they repeat everything they see and read. Check it out.

xlineshooter

TIA

TIA

TLC Learning Ceters I think they are in Bangkok

I did some teaching observation at British Counsil when I was working on my CELTA... the teachers I saw were GREAT, and the facilities were AWESOME (interactive white boards, very modern facility, etc.)... As mentioned above, very accessible from Skytrain.

UNITY Language school in the Times Square Bldg. ( Suk. between Soi 12 & 14) has a good reputation and is used by many companies to teach English to employees.

Unity was set up by a Christian church but from what I understand, they don't proselytize.

I did some teaching observation at British Counsil when I was working on my CELTA... the teachers I saw were GREAT, and the facilities were AWESOME (interactive white boards, very modern facility, etc.)... As mentioned above, very accessible from Skytrain.

But top teachers, top facilities and top salaries = very expensive courses. The most expensive I think, so it depends what your budget and priorities are. The same result may well be gotten for a lot less.