Ais 3g

rickthailand

I have 3g ais, but im closer to town that San Sai. Have you looked at the map that AIS have with the coverage? If your in range you should get almost as good speeds as if you were in the middle of town itself.

As for reliablity I havn't had any problems with it whatsoever, been running for a bit over 3 weeks now I think with no outages or slowdowns that I have noticed. I spend alot of my day on the net so I probably would have noticed if there were any problems.

I have used TOT for a month previous to getting 3g ais and the speeds with 3g is much better, its getting close to what I would expect from my internet back in Australia, especially with international sites.

So if you can confirm that you are definately in range of a tower, I recommend to go for it.

Maybe you could borrow someones to test it out to see if your in range?

There are much cheaper options if you don't need broadband.

I have a Vodaphone 950 EDGE/GRPS dongle in my lappy.

Cost 2000bht for the dongle, then 200bht a month for 100hrs access with a DTAC sim.

Only 460kbs top speed, but perfect for browsing and email.

Works anywhere you can get a mobile phone signal.

Went to AIS office on Tha Pha Rd they have 2 plans the air card for 3990bt and their wireless for 5900bt all on time payment. I took the air card I might be wrong but I saw no defferences in capability betweeb the two. The air card system you can use their top up cards to replenish the monthly charge. The charge is 100,300,500,900, 1500bt pm. I took the 1500 for now I can drop later. The speed is a solid 3.6mbps. You need to go in and talk to them they have a map of the receive area and it can be tigth in certain locations.

I'm in Doi Saket just inside the edge. Good by TOT/TTT :)

The charge is 100,300,500,900, 1500bt pm

Good for you. I hope to say goodbye TOT also. Sorry, I have not checked this out myself. How does it connect? Is it like a "dial up" in that you must log on each time you use it? What is the difference in the quoted costs?

Please keep us posted on how your experience goes after some use.

Thanks.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

The charge is 100,300,500,900, 1500bt pm

Good for you. I hope to say goodbye TOT also. Sorry, I have not checked this out myself. How does it connect? Is it like a "dial up" in that you must log on each time you use it? What is the difference in the quoted costs?

Please keep us posted on how your experience goes after some use.

Thanks.

With the usb dongle thingy, you need to connect it everytime the computer starts. Its a little annoying but definately worth the trade off for the quality of net your getting. If this bothers you I think you could get the other box for almost 6000 that is like a wireless router I believe, which would always be on. Im only here short term so that option wasn't worth the extra money.

The deference is the amount of download I started with max and may adjust. At the moment

DLS 2014kbps,ULS 221kbps to Bangkok, USA DLS 504kbps ULS 81kbps. As I said stuff TOT/TTT.

We in Chiang mai due have a choice AIS,CAT,TRUE....... :)

I can't say that I find those USA speeds too impressive. On good days I top that with my TOT. When you said "The speed is a solid 3.6mbps" I expected better actual speeds. Not sure if that is worth the change.

Hubby and I are considering switching to AIS as our only internet provider. We're concerned, though, about hitting that 30 gig limit each month. The plan gets very, very expensive if you go over that. Yes, I know you can track your usage during the month much like you can check your time remaining on your cell phone. But, we haven't found an easy way (or at least a no-cost) way to track our current usage before we pull the plug on TTT.

We watch about 15 hrs of streaming video and download another 20 hrs of audio podcasts each week. I have a feeling those streaming videos are real capacity hogs!

Incidentally, we don't feel constrained now about having to be within range of our wireless modem. We don't feel the need to do mobile internet surfing all over the city, so one of the big benefits of the AIS 3G isn't really of interest to us.

For us, the big benefits of AIS 3G would seem to be faster speed, better reliability and lower cost than our current TTT plan. All that goes out the window, though, if we regularly use more than the 30 gig limit per month.

Hubby and I are considering switching to AIS as our only internet provider. We're concerned, though, about hitting that 30 gig limit each month. The plan gets very, very expensive if you go over that. Yes, I know you can track your usage during the month much like you can check your time remaining on your cell phone. But, we haven't found an easy way (or at least a no-cost) way to track our current usage before we pull the plug on TTT.

We watch about 15 hrs of streaming video and download another 20 hrs of audio podcasts each week. I have a feeling those streaming videos are real capacity hogs!

Incidentally, we don't feel constrained now about having to be within range of our wireless modem. We don't feel the need to do mobile internet surfing all over the city, so one of the big benefits of the AIS 3G isn't really of interest to us.

For us, the big benefits of AIS 3G would seem to be faster speed, better reliability and lower cost than our current TTT plan. All that goes out the window, though, if we regularly use more than the 30 gig limit per month.

that is also my biggest worry that i will go over the allowed 30 g my friend told me there is a free program that will tell you how much you use in a month

rick

Im pretty sure if you use over 30gbs of data a month, you can just recharge early. Maybe if you can speak thai or take a translator to work out exactly what their policy is, I could never quite work out what would happen when you run out of data before the end of the month.

I don't think anyone really switches to 3g network here becuase they want to use it anywhere in the city. Thats just marketing bs, same as back in Australia all these ads saying you can use it on the train and bus and stuff. But in reality you wont and will never want to.

Also yes, it is very easy to find out how much data you have left.

From an AIS Super 3G brochure:

100 Baht gets 500 MB

300 Baht gets 1.5 GB

500 Baht gets 2.5 GB

900 Baht gets 15 GB

1,500 Baht gets 30 GB

I have added 500 MB to my account and I am using it after the free 500 MB has been used. I am using the aircard. I added 100 Baht for 500 MB and it is good for one month after purchase. I went in to the AIS office on Thapae to verify that. I am not sure if higher amounts last longer like the refill on 1/2 Call.

MSPain

They have promotion on AIS for Router and 30 Gb for 799 Bath + vat

The Router is 5990 Bath

I had mine now for 4 Month and I have never Exceeded the 30 GB limit

Have 2 computers and house phone and Satellite receiver

Edited by SM7WGP

I have friends that have TOT/TTT and are happy with it. I have friends that loath TOT/TTT. If your happy with them no problem if not there are other options. Nothing in life is free.

I agree with your statement, but although I am unhappy with TOT there is no reason to change unless there is some substantial gain to be had. I am purely interested in an International speed increase, and of course the reliability factor also.

Could someone else using AIS post their actual International speeds so that we could get an average of what to really expect?

Bangkok

579693260.png

Singapore

579695856.png

Perth

579696634.png

Sydney

579685514.png

London

579694039.png

Germany

579695008.png

Florida

579702712.png

San Fransico

579700110.png

Seattle

579700816.png

Argentina

579701814.png

South Africa

579687053.png

Any others yould like tested? While running through these I did hit a bit of a network slowdown and orginally got .5mbs for Florida, but ran it again 2 mins later and got higher.

In terms of reliability, I can only say that I have had no downtime that I have noticed in about 3-4 weeks of use, I use alot of internet so I usually notice downtimes.

Any others yould like tested? While running through these I did hit a bit of a network slowdown and orginally got .5mbs for Florida, but ran it again 2 mins later and got higher.

In terms of reliability, I can only say that I have had no downtime that I have noticed in about 3-4 weeks of use, I use alot of internet so I usually notice downtimes.

Those speeds are a little more encouraging. I guess I will make a trip to AIS. Thanks for all the tests, I appreciate you taking the time.

i am moving back to Chiang mai next month, will my UK 3G dongle be compatible with a thai sim? (AIS seems to be popular) or will i need to buy a new one? also are these prices on a long term contract or pay as you go?

Can not comment on your UK 3G You will need to ask AIS, The air card system is pay as you go (top up card) the wireless is direct bill monthly.

I doubt it will work, I think I read somewhere that they dont use the standard 3g frequencies that other countries do. Do some research maybe but even if it was compatible I doubt they would give up the chance at charging you the 4000 baht anyway.

I went to the AIS office, Chiang Mai, today. The 3G AirCard is currently out of stock. The very friendly, English speaking young lady said they should have some tomorrow (Saturday) or on Monday. She took my number and said she would phone me as soon as they are available. :)