Wanted Decent "real Jade" Stone

skycop51

:o Hello all hope all is ok with you.

I am very interested in buying a decent jade stone that I will use to make a ring for me. I am concerned about getting the real stone and not a rip off. Therefore want to ask if anyone knows where I can get a honest deal and a real stone. Without having to take out a loan.

Thanks,

Skycop

:o Hello all hope all is ok with you.

I am very interested in buying a decent jade stone that I will use to make a ring for me.  I am concerned about getting the real stone and not a rip off. Therefore want to ask if anyone knows where I can get a honest deal and a real stone. Without having to take out a loan.

Thanks,

Skycop

Go to China Town, good aray of cheap good quality Jade stones on sale at the small stalls, if your looking for imperial jade go into one of the jewel or stone shops they have dotted around, although the price will be significantly higher.

I am considering buying some Jade as well. Last time I was in Chiang Mai I remember seeing quit a bit of Jade but don't remember the prices of it. I was thinking of taking a trip up to the Chiang Mai and Mai Sai area to look for Jade. I have heard good buys can be found in Mai Sai due to the close proximity to Myanmar(Burma) :o. Anyway, might be worth a look. Anyone else in the Chiang Mai/Mai Sai area know anything?

Jewelry/Gem store will have real jade stones. I bought my sis a jade ring w/multiple stones eons ago. However she lost one of the stones, so I took acquired her ring and I was able to find a stone for it. Actually jeweler had to cut down a larger stone, but never the less it was perfect.

Most jade in the size for a ring would not be that expensive in any case so I would not be searching the country for the best deal (especially not knowing much about it). I sure would not go to Chantaburi to buy jade.

Chiang Mai or the border region are good places to buy but unless you are buying in quantity and know your colors it would be foolish to make that trip for one ring IMHO.

I would go to the jeweler you plan to have make the ring and select from the stones he has on display - you can find the shade you like at the price you want to pay and you probably will not end up paying any more than doing it piecemeal.

• 4 years later...
I am considering buying some Jade as well. Last time I was in Chiang Mai I remember seeing quit a bit of Jade but don't remember the prices of it. I was thinking of taking a trip up to the Chiang Mai and Mai Sai area to look for Jade. I have heard good buys can be found in Mai Sai due to the close proximity to Myanmar(Burma) :) . Anyway, might be worth a look. Anyone else in the Chiang Mai/Mai Sai area know anything?

Go to Doi Inthanon (sp?) and opposite is a large jade factory/ showroom. They give you a tour and coffee etc. My mother bought several pieces there which she has since had valued in the UK at about 3 times what she paid.

I bought my jade ring in a massive factory/showroom somewhere in ChangMai. And a lot of people have remarked on seeing it and hearing where i bought it' It must be good if it comes from Chang Mai'

Isn't that the place towards BoSang where they have a free bar inside? I've purchased a few things there, really nice showroom.

you can try Chantaburi but you probably wont find a deal there. Bangkok is ok for jade but best of all is mae sot! i will recommend if you purchase any stone over 1000 baht you get a cetificate from a local laboratory which will cost you around 150 - 250 baht.

there are many scams out there so be careful.

most sellers in JTC on Silom road are fairly reputable and dont sell rubish. they will welcome you getting a certificate and will most definately refund you if its anything other than they say

if you get scammed PM and ill give advice on how to solve the problem

• 1 month later...

There is no such thing as cheap good quality jade' and not much around at the moment, most of the green jade i see around BKK is fake or poor quality good for a trinket but not worth collecting.

I visit my friend the other day she has a long standing jem business in BKK and only has a couple of pieces that would be suitable for a ring at around (bht 15-20000 per carat) but good quality worth collecting, i always ask after jade and never get much enthusiasm in response, she would know where to get it if it was around' she usually says too much fake Jade around to seriously bother finding it.

You should deffinatly do some research before buying jade so you know what to look for, color-texture/touch-translucancy-hair fractures and the latest pricing according to supply available and where it is from (Burmese green Jade is the most saught after)

The Chinese snapped up prety much all of the Jade that went up for sale in Burma this year.

Happy hunting...

Edited by azza09