Road Tax Car. Pattaya

Simbo

My izuzzu is one year old next month. It's in my name. What is the easiest way to tax it. Do I have to go to that horrific place on soi 36, or can I do it elswhere and what is required ? It's a first for me.

Help appreciated.

My izuzzu is one year old next month. It's in my name. What is the easiest way to tax it. Do I have to go to that horrific place on soi 36, or can I do it elswhere and what is required ?  It's a first for me.

Help appreciated.

I went over to the Licensing Centre on the Rayong by-pass to renew my Driving Licences during the week. As my car tax expires at the end of May, I thought I may as well see if I could renew the tax myself (I normally pay a Thai to go for me). As the tax was not due to be renewed for a couple of months I thought I was pushing my luck, but as I had time to kill I thought I would give it a try anyway.

It was an unexpectedly painless process. All I had to do was go to their inspection bay situated at the end of the row of shops. They took the log book and a mechanic carried out some basic checks (lights, indicators, brake lights, reversing light) and noted the chassis number. Some ten minutes later the log book was returned with receipt for the 150 Baht fee along with two other papers showing my car details.

I then needed to get a copy of the insurance certificate (the one you stick on the windscreen) before going over the road to the centre. I presented these to the woman at the Information desk on the ground floor. She then gave me a ticket with a queue number on it. I was soon called and then paid the fee at the counter and had the new tax disc within a couple of minutes.

As your vehicle is only a year old, you may not be required to have the test done. Probably best to ask at the Information Desk first. The woman was very helpful.

Just for general info on the vehicle front, my one year car and motorcycle licences expired on the 17th of March but I left it until the 22nd to renew. I can confirm that along with the old licences, two photos per licence and relevant copies from my passport, they did require two original proof of address papers issued by Immigration (200 Baht each) although they did not require Medical Certificates. Five year licences for car and motorcycle were 505 and 255 Baht respectively. Btw, they actually date the expiration of the licences on your birthday five years hence, so in my case they are good for five years and nine months.

It would seem it is therefore technically possible to get six year licences under the right circumstances. :o

Phil

As Phil said it is pretty painless. They call it the one stop system and it should not take more than 5 minutes. All you need is the blue book and the govt. insurance papers. I was a bit luckier than Phil and didnt need to put the car over the inspection bay.