Mainboard And Cpu Changed - Still Driver Problem

Smile4u

2 weeks ago I got my laptop back from service center.

After 1 year with multiple blue/white screen - cpu full speed in idle -

and never ending "driver problem", they finally changed both mainboard and cpu.

When I got it back, I did not install any other program.

12 days later, and the driver problem starts again:

- not see the mouse

- not see usb dongle (can not online).

- not see wifi network.

This last for a few hours up to 1-2 day. Then without anything, it works again!

1/2 year ago uninstalled Vista and install XP, still driver problem, so back to Vista.

Experts, what to change now?

Edited by Smile4u

2 weeks ago I got my laptop back from service center.

After 1 year with multiple blue/white screen - cpu full speed in idle -

and never ending "driver problem", they finally changed both mainboard and cpu.

When I got it back, I did not install any other program.

12 days later, and the driver problem starts again:

- not see the mouse

- not see usb dongle (can not online).

- not see wifi network.

This last for a few hours up to 1-2 day. Then without anything, it works again!

1/2 year ago uninstalled Vista and install XP, still driver problem, so back to Vista.

Experts, what to change now?

1. Which driver is it?

2. Did they check video card?

3. Is it in air conditioned area.

Try setting it up on a stand where it can get lots of air circulation. Sounds to me like cooling problem.

Acer, stand on a laptop cooler, room aircon'ed after 10 pm. Long time ago I had a program that checked the cpu temp. it was around 60-62 celsius. Too hot?

They had it for 10 days and claimed they checked all, and did not find any.

Then they changed mainboard and cpu.

Did they check vga card? I dont know.

What driver? Your guess is as good as mine.

I forgot to mention, last 2 days also has a new warning on the screen. "Too many 16 bit system is use", and refer to system file.

This message on screen only a few seconds, so I never have time to write it down.

That message might indicate video card as you mentioned (?) + system file???

I realy appreciate any input.

Edited by Smile4u

There is a new virus I have seen at our school which has over 100 computers and many student laptops. Both versions installs itself as a driver and binds itself to drivers installed. One version also adds in the network properties "Microsoft sharing", not file and printer sharing but simply "Microsoft sharing". It by it self does nothing except download other viruses when connected to the internet and modifies windows foundation so new drivers can not be installed.

You are looking for a needle in a haystack it sounds like with all those problems, Wipe the drive and reinstall op system, stay with vista much better driver support than xp, then get ALL microsoft windows updates installed, this should cure all your software problems. After that you can start looking for hardware problems, But IF they really replaced your motherboard, it should work fine. Laptops are integrated boards with the cpu, video and chipsets all hardwired to it, so like I say IF !!! they replaced your board it isnt a hardware problem.

Did find only 2-3 similiar reports on the net, which points to very uncommon problem. Try to get the exact error message in the event logs

Application & Service Logs > Microsoft Windows > Program Compatibility Assistant

If you had the same problems for over a year, and it is caused by a virus, we should be able to find more reports on the web. Did this message show up before or is it new?

Give us more information on your problem history. What kind of driver problems did you have before? Did they occur immediately after setting up the system, or only after some days?

Did you install specific drivers for your laptop/hardware, or just use the standard drivers that come with Windows (bad idea btw)

You still haven't told us the exact model of your PC. Compile a list of all your hardware used (Laptop, USB dongle,..) and download the latest drivers.

Do you use antivirus software? Is it updated regularly? Did you run a full virus check on your computer? (Try the free ESET online scanner, I recommend the non-IE version though http://download.eset.com/special/eos/esets...taller_enu.exe)

Did you check out gosompoi's hint. Do you know how to check the network properties page for the 'windows sharing' entry?

A full re-install might speed up troubeshooting. Driver support for both Vista and XP should be no problem.

For the install take some precautions to avoid virus infections and driver issues.

* Get a install CD with service packs integrated, even better with recent updates integrated. If you cannot get a recent CD download the service pack to your PC before starting the install.

* Don't connect to the internet before antivirus software and at least the major service packs are installed.

For antivirus I recommend the 30 day trial of ESET NOD32. Later you can switch to free Avast or Avira or obtain a license for Eset. Eset NOD32 comes with a firewall which the free alternatives don't have. On first connection to the internet update the antivirus.

* Download recent drivers for your model and additional hardware. Again, do this BEFORE you start the install.

* After Windows, updates, drivers, Antivirus are installed, create a System Restore point or create a harddisk imaging software to create a backup.

* Install a minimum of software from untrusted sources. Even better: don't install any.

* Secure your thumb drive against autorun infections (read here)

I am not sure you can rule out a hardware problem completely.

welo

There is a new virus I have seen at our school which has over 100 computers and many student laptops. Both versions installs itself as a driver and binds itself to drivers installed. One version also adds in the network properties "Microsoft sharing", not file and printer sharing but simply "Microsoft sharing". It by it self does nothing except download other viruses when connected to the internet and modifies windows foundation so new drivers can not be installed.

:) OMG! What a nightmare to have this problem, especially at a school with so many computers! :D