Chain Cleaner

engrin

WD40 Works a treat, i use it on the race bikes all the time.

FF

:) Actually WD40 is a big no no for o-ring chains! It's a SOLVENT, not a lubricant.

WD-40 was developed by the military in the 50s as a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. It quickly became a household item when people discovered it had thousands of other uses as a cleaner, rust-prevention agent, squeak-stopper and more. It also works wonders as a light lubricant on small items like hinges, locks, and toys.

Motorcycle chains, on the other hand, are far too heavy and fast-moving for the lubricating power of WD-40 to have any effect at all. As a matter of fact, WD-40 will actually strip away any existing lubricant and leave your drivetrain dry - metal on metal. Basically, spraying this stuff on your chain is worse than using no lubricant at all!

Many articles written on this topic- Here's a good one:

UPDATE: WD-40 and Motorcycle Chains

wBW Visitor "R.S." sent us some interesting information on the use of WD-40 on motorcycle chains: "Saw your article on using WD-40 for chains and you asked for evidence of potential harm that WD-40 can do, so am attaching a photo. This photo is of a bearing surface from an airplane.

wd-40.jpgThis is a ball and races in a sealed bearing that had been subjected to regular use of WD-40 for a year or two. The grease was NOT cleaned out before taking this photo - there simply is no grease and the brownish tint is really rust.

The ball had grooves (visible) and was shaped like a potato chip. The races had not evenly worn (see sectioned edge) and were rutted in spots, although neither shows too well.

We learned that WD-40 is really good for the light uses that it was intended for and that needs to be emphasized. However, it is largely a penetrant, which will do just that!

Once it penetrates into the sealed area, it dissolves the petroleum out of the grease, leaving the clay binders. What's left in the bearing is essentially dirt that cakes up, causing the balls to skid. Without the petroleum, the bearing will also rust.

The reason that kerosene and diesel fuel are still favorites and recommended by the chain people is that while both can be penetrants, they are a thicker petroleum and just what the O-rings are trying to seal against. Of course, gasoline cleans about the same, but with thinner viscosity and better penetrating power. In all honesty, I still use gas to clean (I'm lazy), but don't beat the bike often, regularly measure for linkage stretch and sprocket wear, and re-lube on every other tank of gas."

Moral of the story is to not use WD-40 for cleaning motorcycle chains. Does anyone know of a better product that is specifically designed for cleaning a motorcycle chain without dissolving the grease behind the O-rings?

I have owned motorcycles for more than 48 years, and can honestly tell you that the best way to clean a motorcycle chain is to douse it in a bowl of Petrol (Gasoline) (Benzine) wirebrush it then let it dry. Affix the chain to your motorcycle and take it for a quick short spin. Then use a product called Chain Lube It is what all proffesional motorcyclist use.

Edited by Pitbullman1

use diesel to clean off the rust, ride for 10min to get chain warm/hot then use your preferred lub.

Personally i use engine oil from my last oil change for the chain. they work just as well.

Used lub oil is carcinogenic due to the by-products of combustion. Nasty stuff.