Top Muay Thai Boxer

somluck

This was a beer topic shared with some friends recently. Who are the top few now and who were the best ever?

I would think Buakaw from Surin figure among them. Maybe Yodsanklai too. Some friends threw up a few farangs like John Wayne Parr....any Muay Thai fans here?

That John Wayne guy was mediocre at best……looked like a journeyman ozzie bar fighter to me….little talent but lots of heart though. In fairness, by the time he showed up on Contender asia, he was already a semi-retired has-been(kinda of like Rocky V or so)

I liked that guy Dekker(sp?) from Holland a few years back(20?) who used to instill fear in all of the Thais and KO'd them on a regular basis

That John Wayne guy was mediocre at best……looked like a journeyman ozzie bar fighter to me….little talent but lots of heart though. In fairness, by the time he showed up on Contender asia, he was already a semi-retired has-been(kinda of like Rocky V or so)

I liked that guy Dekker(sp?) from Holland a few years back(20?) who used to instill fear in all of the Thais and KO'd them on a regular basis

Definetely Ramon Dekker , he is huge in Thailand , and know him personaly , as Peter Smit ,

who sadly so was murdered ( cowardly) a couple of years ago , both from my hometown .

Peter Smit was the first foreigner in Thailand to knock the Lumpini Thai champ knock out , thought his

name was Chang peuak .

Dekkers was powerful for his weight class in his day, and had some impressive combinations. But his W-L record in Thailand is not even in the top 50, historically, I believe, although obviously 1992 was a great year. Internationally he did well.

The top three according to this website

Muay thai rankings across all countries:

http://www.emuaythai.com/ranking.php?l=&page=search

"The Diamond" Ramon Decker hands down, even Pit Bulls fear that guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AWj_6mwJaI

I'd never heard of Dekker before but after watching a few vids it's clear this guy was born with it. Amazing.

Just seen Dida nearly beat Buakaw in round one of K1, but rock hard Buakaw came back without looking tired. Dida could be good if his stamina improves.

I also highly regard Liam Harrison...young British muay thai fighter. Have yet to see him get knocked out.

I like Bukawa too, fights like a robot, and has awesome kicks and range.... but the Ramon, when he punches, he comes off the floor. He puts every thing he has got in to his punches and kicks, and he was crazy fast too.

A maniac for pain....

I would want him as a friend that much is for sure

Saenchai Sor Kingstar is the pound for pound best right now, Buakao and Yodsaenklai well known because they are fighting abroad, but there are a fair few others in front of them also. That ranking site with the top three is way off the mark.

Dekkers made a huge name for himself in Thailand and is still talked about today, but struggled if he couldn't knock his opponents out