• Piggie's
    • Charlie's
    • Rose Guest House
    • UN Irish Pub
    • West
    • Duke's
    • Pun Pun, on the river

This poll is closed to new votes

Tried Pun Pun today for a fish and chips lunch. It was very tasty indeed and with 3 good sized pieces of fish in breadcrumbs with traditional chips you can't go wrong. Also, John, the owner is a true gentleman and it was a pleasure chatting with him. Unfortunately, I had no room left for his kind offer of apple pie for dessert. Definitely next time.

I'm pleased you were pleased.

If American John's gentlemanliness was as consistent as his food, I might go back.

When he stopped the English lessons for the 2 Thai children he 'oversaw' as some kind of minor punishment some years back, I voted with my feet.

And no, I was not the teacher and had no involvement.

Only those 'old fashioned' ethics rearing their heads again.

Why would you want to say that in a public forum?  Didn't anyone teach you manners? Not very Gentleman-like if you ask me.

(I blame the parents!!).

============

I'll just make one retort to flatmouth and will leave it.....the children's education did not stop.... in fact one finished Yuparat [sic] and in now in the commercial college and the other is still in school.....

Flatmouth was asked to leave for being drunk and abusive to other customers..... and to this day has an unpaid bill ..... but there are others around this town that his still owes even more money.

Now back to the topic....it was my pleasure to have you as a guest today Magnum, and I do hope you will bring your family by sometime

and Kevin would it be possible to get a copy of your "no Rif-Raf " sign.... just in case flatmouth runs out of other places to go...

Now, I have responded and will not answer U No Whoooose tantrum.....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nothing to say to any of these allegations, comments, old politics, whatever.

Why don't you antagonists just try to work out your differences in private, via PM. Or via letter sent on a very slow boat to China, if you prefer.

The rest of us don't want to see this, just like I don't want to know the sordid and tawdry details of my parent's lovelife.

Don't air your dirty linen in public, please.

Thank you.

Now, back to fish and chips.

Are we done with this issue? Can we close it? Any last minute votes?

The drum roll begins.... :)

I just got back from eating at piggy's , well the food was great ! tasted good like back home! i eat all the chips and was very full. the bottle of spy i had was ice cold and i had a great chat with the lady owner who is full of smiles. all in all a great little shop.

i will be going back soon. a good meal with a spy under 200 baht!

and as another person said, the kitchen is spotless which is always a bonus!

we need more happy places like this in chiangmai ! A1 :)

I will have to try this Piggy's place out, soon.

I think fish and chips is England's real people signature food offering.

Once in London around (harrumph.....1972 or there abouts) I was in Knightsbridge or Chelsea or where ever. It was the purple haze era, so cannot be more precise about the shop location. :)

Went to a local chippie which was packed with neighborhood folks. Had the non-EU approved (wrapped in newspaper) version. Sublime fish, battered to perfection.

Malt vinegar, perfect chips.

Marvelous food.

I will have to try this Piggy's place out, soon.

I think fish and chips is England's real people signature food offering.

Once in London around (harrumph.....1972 or there abouts) I was in Knightsbridge or Chelsea or where ever. It was the purple haze era, so cannot be more precise about the shop location. :)

Went to a local chippie which was packed with neighborhood folks. Had the non-EU approved (wrapped in newspaper) version. Sublime fish, battered to perfection.

Malt vinegar, perfect chips.

Marvelous food.

I recall visiting London in May, 1972 where I enjoyed one of the best English meals (a real challenge) at a restaurant called the Snooty Fox. Not fish and chips, but fillet of sole a la grec. Quite outstanding. Sorry for being off topic, but your recollection of being in England in '72 brought back a distant memory.

Pun Pun,, drove past last nite also.. no cutomers.. but yet to try..(dont like empty places...tells me something )

I know what you are saying but it's a mistake to judge anywhere purely by the head count at the tables. I've made that mistake before with restaurants and walked on by, thinking "mustn't be very good...". Then, at some later date when, I've gone in, found the place to be great.

Here's a thought... Fewer people buy The Times or The Guardian than buy The Sun, does that mean the first two are less good than the third? Fewer people buy Jazz & Classical CDs than "pop". So does that make pop better music? I won't labour the point :-)

Let me just say about the Pun Pun... give it a try and I'll be very surprised indeed if you don't like what happens!

Charlies is quality 100%....

At 50% more for the same dish, why bother :)

Agreed, Piggys is good value and will do well despite the attempts to knock them. The voting results and the comments are so out of sync that one wonders what is afoot sometimes.

Dr Pang could have done with some of these vote manipulators. :D

Charlies is quality 100%....

At 50% more for the same dish, why bother :)

The voting results and the comments are so out of sync that one wonders what is afoot sometimes.

Dr Pang could have done with some of these vote manipulators. :D

It's silly. Charlies now has far more votes in the last couple of days and quite a few members posting (for the 1st time) recommending Charlies. At the same time his website is rolled out and promoted in the thread. Come on... (I have nothing against Charlies. I've been there several times.)

Charlies now has far more votes in the last couple of days and quite a few members posting (for the 1st time) recommending Charlies. At the same time his website is rolled out and promoted in the thread.

Too many newbies signing up just to vote! time to close it and move on :)

While it does have some merit, lets all not let this get out of proportion..... Its a fun thing, not as though a countries survival depended on the outcome. I know I have had a lot of fun with it and as icing on the cake have had several new customers.

I am happy to have met them and was very pleased that they were happy with our food. Matter of fact Venturalaw was just back for seconds, and brought the family......

I don't think there was anything so pressing in the outcome that required any hocus pocus and I hope there was none. We will still be selling food and hopefully its enjoyed, tomorrow and in the future. Hope to see many more guests. I say that not being anywhere near the top of the vote getters. thanks all and on with some new threads.

gonzo

May the force be with you ....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

........................................................ thanks all and on with some new threads.

gonzo

That reminds me....I must try and drop round to your plaice next week :)

Bring an extremely healthy appetite. You will not go away feeling hungry - that I can guaranty.

........................................................ thanks all and on with some new threads.

gonzo

That reminds me....I must try and drop round to your plaice next week :)

For you kind sir, we have now a very special dish. Been keeping it just for you......

Pigeon under Glass.....

I finally got em....

Charlie makes the best fish & chips and is the most welcoming host in Chiang Mai.

The food, atmosphere and friendliness are top quality. Farangs actually speak with each other at Charlie's.

Others may try to copy, but Charlie has a wealth of experience and that can't be beaten.

I'd like to try Charlie's. Can you please give the location?? Thanks!

Charlie makes the best fish & chips and is the most welcoming host in Chiang Mai.

The food, atmosphere and friendliness are top quality. Farangs actually speak with each other at Charlie's.

Others may try to copy, but Charlie has a wealth of experience and that can't be beaten.

I'd like to try Charlie's. Can you please give the location?? Thanks!

go down thapae soi 3 and follow the signs on the lamposts