Divorce Or Not

zoolander

Hi, I was wondering if anybody that’s been divorced in Thailand could give me some advice about the sharing of assets. I’m from the UK and got married 3 ½ years ago in Thailand to a Thai lady. After the first year of marriage I sold my house in the UK and spent part of that money building a home and shop on her land in Thailand all in her name. The remainder of my money I put in an off shore savings account. Also I have about 400 000 baht in a thai bank for the visa requirements in my name.

Before we got married she bought a car on finance which she put down a deposit (don’t know how much) and I have been paying the monthly fee to the finance company for 3 ½ years. I just found out she has been committing adultery and before I start divorce proceedings would like to know if my money off shore is safe as well as the money in my thai bank. I understand I should receive half of the property in Thailand but not sure about the car. Any help would be much appreciated. If it looks like she may get half of my money in my thai bank or the off shore money I guess I will not divorce……I don’t know……Many thanks

Hi, I was wondering if anybody that's been divorced in Thailand could give me some advice about the sharing of assets. I'm from the UK and got married 3 ½ years ago in Thailand to a Thai lady. After the first year of marriage I sold my house in the UK and spent part of that money building a home and shop on her land in Thailand all in her name. The remainder of my money I put in an off shore savings account. Also I have about 400 000 baht in a thai bank for the visa requirements in my name.

Before we got married she bought a car on finance which she put down a deposit (don't know how much) and I have been paying the monthly fee to the finance company for 3 ½ years. I just found out she has been committing adultery and before I start divorce proceedings would like to know if my money off shore is safe as well as the money in my thai bank. I understand I should receive half of the property in Thailand but not sure about the car. Any help would be much appreciated. If it looks like she may get half of my money in my thai bank or the off shore money I guess I will not divorce……I don't know……Many thanks

The land of course is hers before marriage but you could get 50% of the value of the house and shop as that was purchased after marriage ( provided you did not sign that away as agift to her). That's the legal angle but of course the house shop sits on her land and you you cant just move half of it away.

the car if bought after marriage is 50% yours and technically she would have to pay 50% of the outstanding loan and you the other 50%. She probably would not pay the balance and you may have trouuble getting the blue book back into your name.

After divorce your balance for visa would move from 400 to 800

Get some good law books and tactfully and quietly and carefully point out the relevant parts to a good thai lawyer.

But also remember getting judgment is one thing getting your 50% is another

PM if you want on the overseas angle

Hi, I was wondering if anybody that’s been divorced in Thailand could give me some advice about the sharing of assets. I’m from the UK and got married 3 ½ years ago in Thailand to a Thai lady. After the first year of marriage I sold my house in the UK and spent part of that money building a home and shop on her land in Thailand all in her name. The remainder of my money I put in an off shore savings account. Also I have about 400 000 baht in a thai bank for the visa requirements in my name.

Before we got married she bought a car on finance which she put down a deposit (don’t know how much) and I have been paying the monthly fee to the finance company for 3 ½ years. I just found out she has been committing adultery and before I start divorce proceedings would like to know if my money off shore is safe as well as the money in my thai bank. I understand I should receive half of the property in Thailand but not sure about the car. Any help would be much appreciated. If it looks like she may get half of my money in my thai bank or the off shore money I guess I will not divorce……I don’t know……Many thanks

Your off shore account is save. Other aspects were already pointed out by 'cat'. I would hide important documents (or put them in a bank safe) such as off-shore account, passport etc. Legally she has the right to half of your 400 K saving account and you her account(s) should they exist. If you want to recoup cash in a divorce be prepared to be patient; it is quite a longish procedure and you should consult a good Thai lawyer.

Good luck.