Adsl Samui

I'm with Samui Bluechip, and I am getting great download speeds. My connection is wireless as well. Went down to Coffee World at Buddies Lamai thii morning and got full signal there awesome.

we all have the maximum speed inside thailand, you need to try using london, NY and san franciso wich are often taken as base to compare the results.

This is on one of my slowest lines (3mb) This line is very very far out in the sticks, around 5km from the exchange, hence the 3mb line (maximum we can obtain on ADSL1)

Here are your tests to San Francisco, London & New York. Upload speeds generally suck outside of Thailand - pretty bad to London on this one!

Of course you really need to run these tests through out the day at different times...

All ISP's here are shaping their bandwidth of course.

And finally remember... TIT (This Is Thailand!)

Matt.

post-90892-1255047964_thumb.jpg

post-90892-1255048548_thumb.jpg

post-90892-1255048592_thumb.jpg

hey Zorne,

By online gaming do you mean online poker? If so, I can recommend an upgrade to Maxnet paying 2500 baht a month, it's been a great connection for online poker. Being Samui there's the odd day or 2 every few weeks where the 2500 baht connection plays up, otherwise it's great.

NEVER use TOT. I've never used CAT so can't comment.

Good luck.

Did I mention online gaming?! You a grinder?

Anyway, my connection now is a little better for some unexplainable reason. I use the cheapest premium package. During the afternoon and night it gets very bad though. Bad enough not to be able to do any serius on the Internet. The 2500 baht package, is that the 4mbit/1 mbit? Did you experience any problems during the first week or so when you installed it? I tried it a week ago and it actually performed worse than package I have now. Clueless to why.

Yeah omaha hilo grinder here :) . I think i have the 5mbit, and it was great from the start. Maxnet also offer a fixed line rather than dynamic IP address for an extra 400 baht a month, that might be better too. Possibly if you are sharing a line with 20 other users who are downloading heaps then your connection might be worse at different times. Maxnet has just split from TT&T and are located at the top end of Tesco Lotus mall near Fuji Restaurant, but be warned- the staff are all newbies there and most have no idea what's going on. I begged the friendly girls at TT&T to go to their stall and do the connection for me. I've ordered the 2900 baht a month package with Fixed IP address for a friend moving here in 2 weeks, so will let you know what that's like. Don't skimp on good connection Zorne, don't wanna get disconned with aces!!

1. What I'd like to know is what exactly do you do that requires you to really need extremely reliable, fast internet

A. Make sure you vary in time of day, location of server to and users connecting to that server / website / etc

B. Speed issues vary from how far you are away from the main box ( can't think of the name of it at the moment but most of you guys should know what Im talking about though )

C. Remember we the foreigner are the minority, the majority of TOT, Maxnett, CAT are most likely thai users who mostly just connect to domestic websites.

D. If you actually figure in actual internet penetration on thailand is actually very low compared to other countries.

E. Thailand will never be a IT hub its a joke, they still can't even seriously get the deal for 3G done.

Regarding TOT, Maxnett, CAT, either way you look at it everything seems to run through CAT's International Gateway, so regardless everything from samui is going to run through up to bangkok first before it heads out from there, This sucks as I do know phuket is getting a International Gateway so users there won't have to rely on going through bangkok, if you don't believe me do a tracert or traceroute and check out the 1st few ip address.

I've ordered the 2900 baht a month package with Fixed IP address for a friend moving here in 2 weeks, so will let you know what that's like. Don't skimp on good connection Zorne, don't wanna get disconned with aces!!

Great, let me know how he the connection works our :)

1. What I'd like to know is what exactly do you do that requires you to really need extremely reliable, fast internet

A. Make sure you vary in time of day, location of server to and users connecting to that server / website / etc

B. Speed issues vary from how far you are away from the main box ( can't think of the name of it at the moment but most of you guys should know what Im talking about though )

C. Remember we the foreigner are the minority, the majority of TOT, Maxnett, CAT are most likely thai users who mostly just connect to domestic websites.

D. If you actually figure in actual internet penetration on thailand is actually very low compared to other countries.

E. Thailand will never be a IT hub its a joke, they still can't even seriously get the deal for 3G done.

Regarding TOT, Maxnett, CAT, either way you look at it everything seems to run through CAT's International Gateway, so regardless everything from samui is going to run through up to bangkok first before it heads out from there, This sucks as I do know phuket is getting a International Gateway so users there won't have to rely on going through bangkok, if you don't believe me do a tracert or traceroute and check out the 1st few ip address.

As I said, the download and upload speeds are not of any concern (well almost). They are just fine. It is the response times that are horrible. I have used many connections here on Samui during all times of the day during several years now. I have experienced a lot of problems but also many connections that has been working perfectly fine nearly at all times. This is the first time though that I am setting up my own connection here.

My problem is that my connection doesnt perform the same way that an identical setup performs somewhere else here. Maybe, as you mention, it has to do with my location and the workload on the lines to my house. But it feels like there is some kind of blockage going on with Maxnet as it is working a little better now after complaining. Maybe it will get even better if I whine some more, I dont know. I just find it very strange that my gprs dial-up is working better than an ADSL connection.

Edited by Zorne

gprs dial-up is working better than an ADSL connection.?? OK well the only things I can think of

1. Have them recheck the telephone line

2. There is some misconfiguration with your router, although unlikely check anyway

3. Are your ethernet cables fine.

4. Always be aware of DNS, especially if its TOT / Maxnett. most people have many different recommendations but you could always tried a different DNS instead of the one your ISP offers to see if you get any different results

5. Although this is not something everyone mentions it is worth nothing that different browsers IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc do the same thing but the way and speed in which they process the information is very different. Try a different browser. Couldn't hurt as browsers are free.

6. Be aware they lots of websites have many javascripts, like someone told me welcome to the new Web 2.0 more animated, with flash, java scripts, and other goodies and loading times go on and on. Frankly I got tired of all the slow times and used No Script with firefox at least I got better results by cutting out tons of boring scripts especially when its tons of scripts regarding advertising.

7. I almost forgot something, making sure you don't have any programs in the background they are downloading internet use while your trying to use your internet. A perfect example is windows update

8. How many applications are you running at the same time that use are using your bandwidth. If your running a browser, yahoo messanger, windows update all at the same time you'll see a difference in bandwidth speed

should something else come up i'll be on here to reply again

Today (with Emule up-download working, I don't want to close only for a speed test)

583160912.png

583162468.png

Happy with CAT waiting for the 4 Mb connection!

TY! London and New York please?

Just heard that T,T&T is (already? or from the beginning of next month..) bringing in 4MB's for 590b.. Thats kind a hard to beat price vice should they be able to deliver. Anyone got 4MB T,T&T and could enlighten us??

I'm with Samui Bluechip, and I am getting great download speeds. My connection is wireless as well. Went down to Coffee World at Buddies Lamai thii morning and got full signal there awesome.

we all have the maximum speed inside thailand, you need to try using london, NY and san franciso wich are often taken as base to compare the results.

Here is my speed test to San Francisco with my Samui Blue Chip connection. Still pretty awesome. Don't forget I am totally wireless, so the result should speak for themselves.

post-64713-1255196709_thumb.jpg