Taxi Thai

HalfSquat

I don't really know any Thai people so taxi drivers are the only time I have a captive Thai-speaker.

Mostly they don't say anything but some like to chat so I was thinking I could practice some Thai on them.

Could anyone tell me some things I could try saying in Thai (I can't read Thai script)?

Perhaps just observational things like:

• There is lots of traffic today
  • Thats a lot of rain
  • He's a bad driver
  • That's a nice car

I know a couple of directions like turn left/right, straight on and stop but not more than that really.

Or perhaps this is not a good idea and taxi drivers are infamous for their hatred of farangs murdering their language!?

Thanks.

Or perhaps this is not a good idea and taxi drivers are infamous for their hatred of farangs murdering their language!?

I have not had that experience. Some of the taxi drivers I run into are hilarious and love to put me through my Thai paces.

The taxi drivers I've talked to enjoy talking about the normal subjects when you don't know someone: where are you from, how long have you lived in BKK (most are not from BKK), how often do you get to go home, how many kids do you have, how old are your kids, do you have grand kids, do you like Thaksin... oh, and football is huge with taxi drivers, so anything football related. A few will dip into world politics.

Apologies for not putting it into transliteration. Suggestion - go to learnthaipodcasts.com and poke around there for general conversation. Stick your favs on your iPod for when you are in taxis and need to be reminded. iPhones have a number of great apps too.

Everytime I've opened my mouth and said something to a taxi driver in Thai they will not shut up the rest of the trip... LoL Sometimes I pretend I can't speak Thai at all otherwise I feel like I'm in class again. :) I guess it wouldn't be so bad, except most taxi drivers are perverts and just wanna talk about things I'm not really comfortable talking about with a stranger. *chuckle*

Could anyone tell me some things I could try saying in Thai (I can't read Thai script)?

The numbers refer to tones; (1) low (2) falling (3) high (4) rising.

wan nee(3) rot(3) dtid(1)
    (lit: day this car stuck - this is actually closer to 'today, there are traffic jams')
    วันนี้รถติด
  • Thats a lot of rain
    fon(4) dtok(1) yuh: (3)
    (lit: rain fall a lot)
    ฝนตกเยอะ
    OR
    fon(4) dtok(1) nak(3)
    (lit: rain fall greatly)
    ฝนตกนัก
  • He's a bad driver
    kohn nan(3) kap(1) rot(3) mai(2) geng(1)
    (lit: person that {one}, drive car not cleverly)
    คนนั้นขับรถไม่เก่ง
  • That's a nice car
    rot(3) nan(3) suay(4)
    (lit: car that {one}, beautiful)
    รถนั้นสวย

*BTW. thanks - I just learned the

• command from your post. That's going to come in real handy!

Softwater

:)

Edited by SoftWater

I don't really know any Thai people so taxi drivers are the only time I have a captive Thai-speaker.

Mostly they don't say anything but some like to chat so I was thinking I could practice some Thai on them.

Perhaps just observational things like:

• Thats a lot of rain
  • He's a bad driver
  • That's a nice car

- Boo, wannee me rott maak lui....

- baa..dongnie mee funtook maak.

- Khun tee nu gap rot mai dai, khrap.

- Rott annee suai maak lui.

- Mia khun sexy maak lui...

I know a couple of directions like turn left/right, straight on and stop but not more than that really.

Thanks.

The numbers refer to tones; (1) low (2) falling (3) high (4) rising.

wan nee(3) rot(3) dtid(1)
    (lit: day this car stuck - this is actually closer to 'today, there are traffic jams')
    วันนี้รถติด
  • Thats a lot of rain
    fon(4) dtok(1) yuh: (3)
    (lit: rain fall a lot)
    ฝนตกเยอะ
    OR
    fon(4) dtok(1) nak(3)
    (lit: rain fall greatly)
    ฝนตกนัก
  • He's a bad driver
    kohn nan(3) kap(1) rot(3) mai(2) geng(1)
    (lit: person that {one}, drive car not cleverly)
    คนนั้นขับรถไม่เก่ง
  • That's a nice car
    rot(3) nan(3) suay(4)
    (lit: car that {one}, beautiful)
    รถนั้นสวย

*BTW. thanks - I just learned the

• command from your post. That's going to come in real handy!

Softwater

Thanks for that. Will try and consign them to memory.

Although someone did PM and raised a good point that taxi drivers are not the best people to practice/learn Thai on/from as they don't speak it proper like.

I guess in London you wouldn't want to learn English from a black cab driver. "Alwight geez, pulled any birds lately? That PM is a right ***** ******. Apples n pears etc". Although maybe you would, depends who you plan on speaking to?

On the whole, I'd say taxi drivers' Thai is just fine. I think there's a bit of prejudice sneaking in there if someone tells you not to learn Thai from everyday working class folk because their language isn't "proper".

I chat with taxi drivers pretty often, depending on their mood and mine. Once you get past the same old questions they're bound to ask you (do you like Thailand, do you think Thai food is spicy, etc.), they have a lot of interesting things to say.

But yeah, the easiest way to strike up a conversation is just to ask a small talk question like any of those suggested above. They'll let you know in the way they answer whether they want to keep chatting.

These may not be great openers, but here are a few more suggestions:

เป็นคนที่ไหนครับ pen khon thii nai (khrap) "Where are you from?"

(Note: Thais from the provinces will usually assume you wouldn't know where their province is, so you'll probably get a general answer like "Isaan"; some people even respond "Thailand"! If you want to get more specific, ask จังหวัดอะไร changwat arai "Which province?")

ขับแท็กซี่นานหรือยัง khap taeksii naan rue yang "How long have you been driving a taxi?"

(Logical followup: ชอบไหมครับ chawp mai (khrap) "How do you like it?")

กลับบ้านบ่อยไหมครับ klap baan boi mai (khrap) "Do you go home often?"

(Note: This will generally be understood to mean their home in the provinces, if they're not from Bangkok. If there's any confusion, you might say บ้านต่างจังหวัด baan taang changwat instead of just บ้าน baan, or specify the province, if they've already told you, as in: กลับร้อยเอ็ดบ่อยไหมครับ klap roi et boi mai khrap "Do you go home to Roi Et often?"

Etc. Just a few ideas.

In Bangkok, 80% of the time I say, Ma Dtae Saai, which means 'where do you come from' in their local dialect and get a smile or laugh.

ma dtae saii - มาแต่สาย (you only come late) - you sure that's not you complaining to your girlfriend? (bet she doesn't find it funny...)

In Bangkok, 80% of the time I say, Ma Dtae Saai, which means 'where do you come from' in their local dialect and get a smile or laugh.

ma dtae saii - มาแต่สาย (you only come late) - you sure that's not you complaining to your girlfriend? (bet she doesn't find it funny...)

You have to laugh, I often had to tell the mrs I didnt come too soon, you came too late.

As for the op as long as he is riap roy, mai pen rai.

How do I say 'I support Man U' and 'Who do you support?'

'Pom dam-rong Man U kub' and 'Khun ben dam-rong chai mai kub' or something else entirely...

I don't think "damrong" captures the metaphorical meaning of 'support' that you need here.

ผมเป็นแฟนทีมแมเชสเตอร์ยูไนเต็ด

pom(4) pben faern teem men-che(3)-stuhr(1) yoo-nai-dted(1)

คุณเป็นแฟนทีมไหน

khun pben faern teem nai(4)

[you are fan team which?]

{Wow, that hurt. I can't believe I've just helped someone spread the red disease! :) }

Edited by SoftWater

Although someone did PM and raised a good point that taxi drivers are not the best people to practice/learn Thai on/from as they don't speak it proper like.

I guess in London you wouldn't want to learn English from a black cab driver. "Alwight geez, pulled any birds lately? That PM is a right ***** ******. Apples n pears etc". Although maybe you would, depends who you plan on speaking to?

Unlikely that the cab driver would mention apples and/or pears unless you travelled back in time say, 50 years? Much more likely to engage in a discussion about how 'those Poles like to work tho don't get me wrong I've nuffin against 'em do a hard days graft just fink they should go back now thass all'

Quite right though, taxi driver-speak in any language might not be the best way to learn a language but it can be fun, sometimes.

Quite right though, taxi driver-speak in any language might not be the best way to learn a language but it can be fun, sometimes.

I wouldn't fancy a taxi driver as a language teacher, but they are ideal people to practice your skills on while getting from A to B.

Edited by SoftWater

How do I say 'I support Man U' and 'Who do you support?'

'Pom dam-rong Man U kub' and 'Khun ben dam-rong chai mai kub' or something else entirely...

I don't think "damrong" captures the metaphorical meaning of 'support' that you need here.

ผมเป็นแฟนทีมแมเชสเตอร์ยูไนเต็ด

pom(4) pben faern teem men-che(3)-stuhr(1) yoo-nai-dted(1)

ลุ้น means to support, in the sense of "to cheer, root for." (Not being a football fan, I'm not sure how commonly it is used for that.)

ขอบคุณที่มาส่ง - this means "thanks for sending me (to somewhere)". You could translate it as "thanks for the lift" if you're speaking to the driver, but people also say ขอบคุณที่มาส่ง to, say, someone walking them home or riding with them when taking a taxi somewhere. The translation would depend on the context I guess.

thanks mike_l

broader usage. i like that. seeing that ไม้เอก in there also.

if i were to ask for a business card from the driver, which would be more appropriate ?

มีบัตรธุรกิจไหมครับ

มีบัตรธุรกิจใช่ไหมครับ

มีบัตรธุรกิจหรือเปล่าครับ

guessing it would be มีบัตรธุรกิจใช่ไหมครับ

Edited by aitch

thanks mike_l

broader usage. i like that. seeing that ไม้เอก in there also.

if i were to ask for a business card from the driver, which would be more appropriate ?

มีบัตรธุรกิจไหมครับ

มีบัตรธุรกิจใช่ไหมครับ

มีบัตรธุรกิจหรือเปล่าครับ

guessing it would be มีบัตรธุรกิจใช่ไหมครับ

มีนามบัตรไหมครับ would be better I reckon.

I'm sure it's just tongue in cheek, but for those that don't know:

"Maa Dtae Sai" in Isaan/Lao means the same as "Maa Jaak Nai" in Central Thai: Where do you come from?

"Maa Dtae Sai" in Isaan/Lao means the same as "Maa Jaak Nai" in Central Thai: Where do you come from?

Saying this in Isaan/Lao also implies that you think the driver is from Isaan, which is not a bad thing in itself, but just be aware of it. If the driver is actually from Bangkok or nearby, he may take offense. Some Thais are a bit classist, and would take that to mean that you are looking down on them, since many from the central provinces see the people from rural Isaan as being poor, lower-class, etc. I think this is BS, of course, but it's good to be aware of it, as it could affect the tone of the rest of your taxi ride!

If you learn to read Thai and become familiar with the names and locations of the Thai provinces, you can usually read the little identification card posted on the dash board, which lists the driver's name and where he is from. If it says he is from one of the Northeastern provinces, fire away in whatever Isaan dialect you know! That's usually safe, and is good for a few laughs. You might even get an impromptu lesson in Issan dialect.

I didn't know that, thanks! I thought someone was having a joke trying to mislead the unwary...

I didn't know that, thanks! I thought someone was having a joke trying to mislead the unwary...

What are the tones for the words in this expression, please?

maa[?] dtae[?] sai[?]

Where do you come from? (Isaan dialect)

Edited by SoftWater

On the whole I find taxi drivers really interesting people to talk with. They sit in their taxi usually about 12 hours a day. One driver said if they don't own their own taxi that they rent it in either in 8 or 12 hour shifts. They do nothing but listen to AM "talk radio" and they have some of the most diverse opinions on all things thai.

Once you get past the obligatory "20-questions game” with them (and they have some confidence that they understand your foreign accented thai) some of them are really funny and very witty in their observations/opinions.

I would be VERY hesitant about making the off the cuff judgment that the driver is from Issan if you're not 100% sure where he comes from. Believe me, not all drivers are from Issan and I've found just as many are either native born Bangkokians or from other areas of the country. As another poster pointed out given the rampant racism it could result in an awkward and/or silent ride for you.

For me ภาษากลาง (Bangkok thai) is tough enough to speak even semi-coherently, so I'll forgo throwing in the odd phrase in ภาษาอีสาน, ภาษาใต้ or คำเมืองม especially when I can’t carry on a conversation in that dialect other than a cutesy phrase or two.

To the poster who said taxi drivers are not the best people to learn thai from; I ask only this;

What about the plethora of completely clueless foreigners teaching "engrish" here who have abso-tively posi-lutely no qualifications to be doing so?

As taxi driving is a prohibited trade for foreigners to be employed in; chances are you’re speaking to a thai national (as opposed to taxi drivers in say the UK or US). I think any time you can have a 'captive audience' and practice your thai it is a plus no matter the education level of the person you're speaking to. Even if he only finished ป.๓, in all likelihood he still speaks better thai than any of us could hope for.

I do concur with another poster though; some of them are quite skewed in their way of thinking about foreigners’ penchants in the sexual arena.

NEVER EVER short sell คนติดดิน(literally; "people stuck to the ground" or working class people). The last time I checked (which I do periodically) there is a hel_l of a lot more of them than the snooty wanna-b-hi-so-thai posers; who most likely wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire (even if they had to piss).

Edited by tod-daniels

Having just spent a few days in Bangkok, taking more than a few taxis, I've had several interesting conversations. I tend to stay away from the political but once they find out where I live and how long I live here we usually have hows business conversations.

ie, there are no farang on Koh phangan, no one has any any money to travel :)

and he says, yes, there are no farang on khao san and they are all kii nio.

one guy asked me if we had bargirls on koh phangan and was it as bad as pattaya

another guy told me he thinks both sides are bad and nobody cares if people are losing money and going out of business so long as they win their point (he was interested in politics :D )

simple conversation does not occur for me, I am afraid, but its always good to start with the weather.

**edit, no one asks me about my sexual preferences nor have I ever been propositioned. A simple "my husband is from Surat Thani" ends any conversation that may have been in his mind regarding that :D