Its Better To Have Child Born Outside Thailand?

Simply, what are the advantages of having the child born inside thailand as opposed to being born outside thailand. Does having the child born outside Thailand make passing through immigration in thailand any easier?

Is it also better for the thai wife to keep her last name instead of taking the farang surname, regarding the purchasing of land, ease of travel (last name same on both passports)?

Simply, what are the advantages of having the child born inside thailand as opposed to being born outside thailand.  Does having the child born outside Thailand make passing through immigration in thailand any easier? 

Is it also better for the thai wife to keep her last name instead of taking the farang surname, regarding the purchasing of land, ease of travel (last name same on both passports)?

The place of birth doesn't have a lot of bearing on coming and going.

The wife can now legally retain her family name.

As discussed in another thread in the travel section, most airlines won't fly pregnant women in the last 2-3 months of pregnancy. If you're planning to have the child born overseas, you would also have to consider this as well.

Most the cases I have heard of people going overseas for giving birth are expats going back to their home country or people going to the US - I knew someone in Hong Kong who went to the US to give birth and get US citizenship for her child.

My first child was born in St. Louis Hospital in Bangkok. She has a thai birthcertificate that was translated and certified by my embassy (The Netherlands). She has bot a ducth and Thai pasport.

My second child was born in The Netherlands. Dutch birthcertificate. There i had to get an international birthcertificate and went to the Thai embassy. He also has a Thaa and Dutch pasport.

The birthcertificate was a lot easier in The Netherlands. We gave our children more than 1 name. This can be very frustrating when you register at an Amphuer here in Thailand. First they will tell you it can not be done, after many argueing and looking up information it suddenly can, but then the computer has problems of accepting more than 25 characters. This resulted in dropping one name for our first born. Still not happy about that.

In the Netherlands it is normal to have more than one name, the Thai embassy knows this and has no problem registering more names.

Giving birth in St.Louis is very good. Only thing they do is take your baby away as soon as it is born, to clean and check. That is a little disturbing as you would like to hold the child right after being born, i understand it is also more comforting for the baby as being born is a very traumatic experience. They are also a little quick with suggesting a ceasarian (sp) birth. When your wife is in a lot of pain it is very hard to not accept this. Afterwards she was happy i stood firm about this because we both decided before, it was something we only would do if it was absolutely necessary.

The care afterwards was superb. Like in a good hotel. She stayed in the hospital 4 days. I could sleep in the same room. Room had a kitchen, bathroom, tv/radio etc.

Total bill 24.000 baht.

The birth of my son in The Netherlands was good and of course in a "western" way. That means more talking and explaining what will happen during the birth, comforting. This was a more "friendly" way of delivering a baby. The thai way was more a "no nonsense, practical" way. Depends on what you prefer but i definately would choose the "friendly" approach.

In The Netherlands she stayed 1 day in Hospital and i slept at home.

As it makes no difference for nationality and pasports etc. It depends more on the way how you want to deliver the baby. A delivery "western" style with "thai" style accomodation and after care would be ideal.

Good luck.

Maybe it's better to have the baby born in Holland, rather than Thailand.

However, I'm British, and one was born on the NHS (long labour, ended up as a Caesarean, which was ironic given my wife had wanted a Caesarean in the first place but the doctor persuaded her it wasn't necessary).

The Thai approach is infinitely preferable, even if it isn't free. I'd happily pay £500 (cost in Thailand) in the UK on the NHS if it meant you got a doctor that listened, and a building that actually feels clean...

The kids have dual nationality. The only difference is the one born in the UK will automatically pass her British Nationality to her children, regardless of where they are born. If born in Thailand, they don't automatically pass on their British Nationality to their children. (although that's a British rule, not a Thai rule - Thailand actually says any child of a Thai is a Thai, which seems far more forgiving to me...)