Coopers Ale.

jasreeve17

I always enjoy finding a new imported beer.

Last week I was at O'Malleys (I think that's the correct name?) at the end of backpacker heaven street. I went for a pint of guinness, but noticed they had Coopers stout and had one - I enjoyed it. I also wuite enjoyed the other two styles they offered.

I actually went on a bit of a stout try-out: Guinness, Coopers, Erdinger dark and Beer lao dark. Frankly the Beer lao dark, though much cheaper, was a poor cousin in this trial. Draft Guiness topped my list.

I really enjoyed this bar (too much as it turned out... :) ) with the free music (wide selection) and decent variety of beers.

Anyway, just to let you Aussies know that if you're missing your home country then Coopers is available in three varieties.

I always enjoy finding a new imported beer.

Last week I was at O'Malleys (I think that's the correct name?) at the end of backpacker heaven street. I went for a pint of guinness, but noticed they had Coopers stout and had one - I enjoyed it. I also wuite enjoyed the other two styles they offered.

I actually went on a bit of a stout try-out: Guinness, Coopers, Erdinger dark and Beer lao dark. Frankly the Beer lao dark, though much cheaper, was a poor cousin in this trial. Draft Guiness topped my list.

I really enjoyed this bar (too much as it turned out... :) ) with the free music (wide selection) and decent variety of beers.

Anyway, just to let you Aussies know that if you're missing your home country then Coopers is available in three varieties.

coopers is a good drop,also their ales and lagers,comes from south australia i think.

As reported by Jasreeve17, the three versions of Coopers, red, green and red label, are available in Thailand, Bkk at least, regular stubby size bottles for 109 baht a pop.

I also concur with the opinion offered on Beer Lao dark, a very poor relation, too yeasty for me and a major dissapointment after reading the positive reports others had mentioned.

Yes I believe it does come from the crow eater state, but is way superior to Southwarks (is that still available?).

I am afraid I will have to disagree here. All the Coopers ales are awful, absolutely dreadful examples of ale! Although I have not tried their lager.

Erdinger Dark is not a stout, it is a dunkel, which is a dark lager made often with a high percent of wheat malt. Beer Lao Dark is also a dark lager, but not technically a dunkel. Both are completly different to a stout!

Guinness and Coopers Stout, are obviously both stouts though.

Edited by madjbs

Yes, I agree with the madman. I was of course generalizing.

Is Coopers ale awful? Maybe, maybe not. For me, after 8 years of Singha and Chang, I just like something different. Yesterday, I picked up some Hoegarten and Stella from Foodland (119 baht each). They're expensive, and I didn't particularly enjoy either, but the change was pleasant.

The Coopers stout was nice. I prefered the draft guinness, so only had the one bottle.

As I said, I do like variety, so this bar is nice because they offer a fair variety. :)

It's probably like being in prison. When you are stuck with a bunch of guys for years on end, suddenly transvestites become all attractive to you. :D

:D

Yes, Bkk does feel like a prison to me quite often, but I still avoid soi 2 / 4...

Anyways, Madman, do you know of any interesting beers around Bkk? I know you can get draft stella / guinness / john smiths / killkennys, some leffe or hoegarten, some corona, that's probably about it, excluding the local stuff. The normal German imports from Villa and Foodland. Any suggestions?

Yesterday, I nearly made a major error in Foodland! I saw a couple of new German beers, imports, that I hadn't tried before, picked them up, nearly put them in my basket then noticed some German words that looked like 'Alkohol Frier'... Now that would have been a disaster. :)

Although I have not tried their lager.

Cooper only ever made 1 lager premium i have never seen it or tasted it they are renowned for their ale's.

They had three types. A stout, and ale and one with a wierd name: fizzy ale - or something equally wierd... I'll find some pictures, hold on...

post-39032-1254829555_thumb.jpg

post-39032-1254829662_thumb.jpg

post-39032-1254830031_thumb.jpg

Edited by jasreeve17

Although I have not tried their lager.

Cooper only ever made 1 lager premium i have never seen it or tasted it they are renowned for their ale's.

They had three types. A stout, and ale and one with a wierd name: fizzy ale - or something equally wierd... I'll find some pictures, hold on...

post-39032-1254829555_thumb.jpg

post-39032-1254829662_thumb.jpg

post-39032-1254830031_thumb.jpg

2 ALE'S and a STOUT

There is no such beer type as "sparkling ale", it is something which coopers has invented. It most likely is just a slight variation of a Pale Ale.

I know what you're saying, but just wondered if anyone had tried it - I was too pissed to remember... :D I'd imagine it's their version of a lager to try to compete with the lagers... The stout I tried earlier in the evening and distictly remember liking it. The two other bottles I tried at about 4 or 5 am, and can't really say much other than tasted like chicken... :) No inuendos thanks, it's just a little joke!

There is no such beer type as "sparkling ale", it is something which coopers has invented. It most likely is just a slight variation of a Pale Ale.

It is a variation, very cloudy and a lot of sediment and very potent at 5.8%.

How's the flavour? They're about 190 baht (if I remember correctly) should I try another this Friday?

It is a variation, very cloudy and a lot of sediment and very potent at 5.8%.

How's the flavour? They're about 190 baht (if I remember correctly) should I try another this Friday?

Very very over priced about 60 baht a bottle is equal on Australian prices.

Yep, the imported beers are a crazy price - cans of guinness from a supermarket are 4 times what you'd pay back home...

For something different and good, I'll willingly pay the extra. If I could find bottles of Coopers at the supermarket for 100 baht or so, I'd get a dozen for home.

Yep, the imported beers are a crazy price - cans of guinness from a supermarket are 4 times what you'd pay back home...

For something different and good, I'll willingly pay the extra. If I could find bottles of Coopers at the supermarket for 100 baht or so, I'd get a dozen for home.

Might have 1 with you on the 18th october be over for a few weeks

NB :)

I'll willingly pay the extra. If I could find bottles of Coopers at the supermarket for 100 baht or so, I'd get a dozen for home.

You can get them in six packs at Tops, pretty sure that they are cheaper than 190 a bottle.

Might have 1 with you on the 18th october be over for a few weeks

NB :D

Look forward to it. :) No Coopers at Cross Bar, but Guinness at 200 baht a pint.