Hot Water Shower Electric Advice

Aza90

Just moved house and had our hot water shower (Astina 450E) installed in the new bathroom. There was a wire hanging down from the ceiling (looked thicker, maybe we call it 3 core in UK) which was obviously used to fit another unit for the previous tenants which the Sparky has used. I know nothing about electrics but I wondered if it needs a breaker switch or whatever outside the bathroom, as this is what we had in our previous house. The Sparky who fitted the unit said to the MIL that this wasn't required as the main electric board downstairs has a breaker as standard. Is this correct? The earth wire has been put through the window and I assume is attached to the house but I will check this. Is this correct?

Any advice much appreciated.

The ground wire should run to the load centre and there be connected to the ground bar, which in its turn is the common ground connection for the house's installation and then connected to the rod that has been put in earth outside the house.

Since you are a self-admitted electical dunce the best course of action would be to post a photo of your distribution board. We can then identify what you have and what should be done to protect yourself and your family :)

For the ground you should have a spike in the earth which normally goes to your distribution board, however, if your system was not originally grounded it may just go to the heater.

• 2 weeks later...

one thing worth checking is the rating of the breaker.

find the specs on your hot water unit and the details of what size breaker(fuse) is needed, make sure that they have used the correct size breaker as it is common in thailand to use bigger breakers than needed, I think this is to stop them tripping out, crazy as that is what they are designed to do in the first place!!!!!!

yes the correct cable size is VERY VERY important !!!!!!

if you post the model of your hot water heater I will tell you what size cable you need, then you can have a look at the cable and printed on it will be its size, it normally looks something like 2 x 6 sq mm or something to that effect.

I can also tell you what size breaker you should have installed.

one thing worth checking is the rating of the breaker.

find the specs on your hot water unit and the details of what size breaker(fuse) is needed, make sure that they have used the correct size breaker as it is common in thailand to use bigger breakers than needed, I think this is to stop them tripping out, crazy as that is what they are designed to do in the first place!!!!!!

Just to clarify some terminology here.

Not all breakers have a tripping device, so don't think that you have RCD protection just because you have a switch with the word "Breaker" printed on it.

Most breakers are just double pole switches that give no protection at all.

GOOD POINT !!!!!!

ok what I ment was go to your fuse box/load center/breaker box (what ever you want to call it) and have a look at the fuses/CB'S/Breakers what ever you what to call them, make sure they are the correct rating!

I just noticed that you have posted the model, but there is very little on the net about this (google) is there any data on the unit like the watts ect???

It would be convenient to have a breaker specifically and solely for the heater i.e. either have it one its own circuit in the breaker box or have a breaker installed in the bathroom.

I know because I do NOT have one and consequently am having to work on my heater iproblems in the hot muggy bathroom without fan or electrical lights due to having had to turn off main power switch to whole house. :)

in fact am adding this to my growing list of things I will have a real electrician come and do some day.

It would be convenient to have a breaker specifically and solely for the heater i.e. either have it one its own circuit in the breaker box or have a breaker installed in the bathroom.

I know because I do NOT have one and consequently am having to work on my heater iproblems in the hot muggy bathroom without fan or electrical lights due to having had to turn off main power switch to whole house. :)

in fact am adding this to my growing list of things I will have a real electrician come and do some day.

Please - not IN the bathroom, put the breaker outside in a convenient place , but never in the bathroom.

Good luck in your search for a competent electrician - I suppose that 1 or 2 do exist in Thailand :D