Handing Back My Work Permit / Changing Jobs.

Hi, I'm a 30 year old Aussie who is just about to change jobs.

I'm currently employed in bangkok and will be handing back my work permit at the end of this month.

I believe I then have 7 days to vacate the country as handing in my work permit will void my current visa. I'm then going to head home (as good a reason as any to see the folks and have a beer or two with some mates) to get a new Non Immigrant B visa so I may come back to Thailand to continue business discussions with a future employer.

I'm having difficulties finding out an exact list of things I will need to provide to the Thai embassy in Australia to apply for a new 1 year multiple entry non-immigrant B visa.

Will i need to take a receipt stating that I have returned my work permit or will I only need that in the future when I apply for a new work permit. The problem I have is one of time. When I get back to Australia the embassy will be closed for Chakri daay and then again for Songkran. As i'm sure many of you can understand I don't wanna be home for longer than i need to be.

Can someone answer my receipt question above and, if possible, point me in the direction of an exact list of requirements. I don't wanna hear "company papers"; I want to hear 'Phor Ngor Dor 1', 'Phor Phor 20' etc etc.

Cheers,

benno

Hello Benno -

There is no "magic list" that is universally applicable to Thai diplomatic posts overseas. Each Embassy or Consulate is a mini-empire, with its own rules and standards

For sure - they are not interested in your past work permit, if it is cancelled (but - make and keep a copy of your current work permit - for reference in completing future WP applications).

In general, what you need are:

1. Employer sponsor letter, with seal, and ink signature of director

2. Complete set of company registration papers

3. Tax and VAT cards, and PP 1 (VAT registration certificate)

Plus - (usually) two passport photos.

I have not heard of any diplomatic post requiring more than the above - although some posts will not issue visas to third party nationals at all.

Many posts will no longer issue more than a 90 day single entry visa - or will only issue one-year multiple entry visa if you present a valid work permit (Penang, for instance).

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

thanks steve,

i guess it was a little silly of me to expect a 'sensible' or 'organised' approach from the Thai authorities. I've live in Thailand on and off for the last 13 years but most were on academic or education visas. Some things just don't change.

U kind of lost me on the "third party nationals" comment... Do you mean an Englishman requesting this visa in Australia for Thailand kinda thing? I had a year long multiple issued from Canberra before so I'm hoping they are still offering this.

cheers,

ben