Breast Feeding In Public.

ScubaBuddha

I have seen an expat farang woman breastfeeding very much in public in Thailand before, (in fact doing little to cover herself when the baby kept pulling off) but yesterday I was quite surprised to see a young Thai woman breast feeding a baby in public on a bench in the middle of a busy outdoor mall in front of HomeWorks, Chalong Phuket. She was very dark skinned and looked possibly Burmese, if it matters. For some reason I thought this was taboo in Thailand. What's the cultural norm on this?

Its not taboo, the problem is that too many Thai women were led to believe by advertising campaigns showing happy and smart babies with white skin

that powdered milk made from cows milk is somehow and better for their babies healthier than human breastmilk.

A woman I met who did not have children yet, told me that she could not afford to have a baby because she could never afford the expensive powdered milk. Ver sad that it goes so far that they think human breastmilk is not adequate.

Now some campaigns start to come up teaching women the benefits of breastfeeding, but the power of advertising is still very strong, so breastfeeding is still not that widespread in Thailand, which is imo very sad.

Congratulations to the woman in front of Homepro and I hope that once breastfeeding comes back into 'fashion' in Thailand, women will not face any comments or discrimination for breastfeeding in public, at work, etc ..

Good for her. Protecting her baby's brain from the carcinogen BPA that has been found in infant formula.

Recent tests by Environmental Working Group and the Canadian government, and a 1990s test by U.S. FDA show BPA leaching into all brands of liquid formula. EWG is concerned that the exposures for babies fed liquid formula exceed the levels that cause harm in laboratory studies. The Canadian government has announced measures to ban BPA in baby bottles and reduce BPA levels in liquid formula. USA Bush Administration FDA ignored the scientific evidence and declared all uses of BPA to be safe shortly before Bush left office. Chemical industry says BPA is safe, Reminds me of the tobacco industry.

More details at

EWG.com

and elsewhere.

I have seen an expat farang woman breastfeeding very much in public in Thailand before, (in fact doing little to cover herself when the baby kept pulling off) but yesterday I was quite surprised to see a young Thai woman breast feeding a baby in public on a bench in the middle of a busy outdoor mall in front of HomeWorks, Chalong Phuket. She was very dark skinned and looked possibly Burmese, if it matters. For some reason I thought this was taboo in Thailand. What's the cultural norm on this?

:)

Its ironic that studies of breast-fed babies vice formula fed babies show growth and medical advantages to being breast-fed. But in Thailand ( as in other nations)there is a cultural thing, especially in the cities, that breast feeding is somehow backward, up-country, and only for those who do not know any better (or are too poor). For all of those reasons breast feeding is considered old-fashioned and backward, and not too be done by "enlightened" city people.

God made cows milk for baby cows, and human breast milk for human babies. It contains what the growing human baby needs, especially in its first few months. Add in the effect of passing the natural immunities to diseases the mother has developed over her life in her milk, and breast milk comes out ahead of any animal or cows milk source.

For thousands of years women fed there children by their brest milk. Then somehow the breast became "shameful" and taboo. By extension breast feeding was backward and improper.

Hopefully, sometime in the future, people will again realize that breast feeding is the way babies were intended to be fed.

God and a million years of evolution are not wrong.

:D

What I've seen is that some women here will breastfeed in public, but strategically drape a shawl to be modest.

Interesting responses, thanks all. I hadn't considered the overall lack of breast feeding in Thailand as the reason why I hadn't seen it before like I did in the states. What struck me odd, more about the Thai, was that neither of these women were doing anything to be modest or cover up, in fact the expat farang woman was walking up and down a busy soi in front of half full restaurants, "half topless", as the baby didn't seem hungry.

By happenstance, I caught a segment of "Taboo" on NatGeo yesterday that featured some Australian women that were breastfeding thier kids to as old as 9.

Breastfeeding was done discreetly by a few women on bus rides from Buriram to Khon Kaen, and Nakhon Phanom to Udonthani. However, despite their attempts to be discreet I was alert to the fact.

Edited by Tilokarat

Breastfeeding was done discreetly by a few women on bus rides from Buriram to Khon Kaen, and Nakhon Phanom to Udonthani. However, despite their attempts to be discreet I was alert to the fact.

Makes we wonder who has the issue - you or them.

If I guy on the bus spent the whole trip picking his nose and you watched him the whole time, would you blame him for making you watch?

My wife breastfed our little one for the first year and then weened him off. She was always discreet in public while breastfeeding. No need to go into the benefits of breastfeeding since it has been covered, but how long is long enough? My wife was told by her OBGYN a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 12 months.

Speaking of Buriram, we were waiting for a flight from Satuk (Buriram) to BKK. I saw a little boy who must have been around 3 years old playing with another little boy about the same age. The first boy casually walked over to his mom, pulled down her shirt, and started feeding :) Mom did not even flinch. I am no prude by any means, but needless to say i was a little taken back. I told my wife that once our son reaches 12 months he will be off the teet. Happy to say that he has been off for 3 months now! :D

I'm a lactation counselor working in Bangkok. There is a push to try to get more Thai women to breastfeed. But it is a losing battle with the formula companies and their illegal marketing. And there is a huge need for Thai nursery nurses and Thai pediatricians (and so it seems from about OBGYNs as well) to be educated about breastfeeding. Most moms leave the hospital already supplementing with formula and their own supply dwindles quickly as a result. This is due mostly to health providers undermining the lacation process. The WHO says to breastfeed exclusively the first 6 months with a goal of 2 years.

With good breastfeeding publicity, education for health providers, prosecution for Nestle and other formula companies, pumping allowed at worksites (most moms have to go back to work 3 months postpartum), we would see better breastfeeding rates and more breastfeeding in public.

I'm a lactation counselor working in Bangkok. There is a push to try to get more Thai women to breastfeed. But it is a losing battle with the formula companies and their illegal marketing. And there is a huge need for Thai nursery nurses and Thai pediatricians (and so it seems from about OBGYNs as well) to be educated about breastfeeding. Most moms leave the hospital already supplementing with formula and their own supply dwindles quickly as a result. This is due mostly to health providers undermining the lacation process. The WHO says to breastfeed exclusively the first 6 months with a goal of 2 years.

With good breastfeeding publicity, education for health providers, prosecution for Nestle and other formula companies, pumping allowed at worksites (most moms have to go back to work 3 months postpartum), we would see better breastfeeding rates and more breastfeeding in public.

Not so sure it's a losing battle. On monthly visits, my wife's doctor is always asking her if she is breastfeeding only to which she replies 99.85 percent.

As you get at, education is key and I think local practitioners are really pushing this (breast feeding) even at early stages of pregnancy.

^because most people do not want to see that!! :)

As far as formula vs breastfeeding - up to the mum what she wants to do. Personally I know I would not want a wee lil one sucking on my nipples for any amount of time. Some mums feel the same way. :D

Didn't you were the lactating type Britmav - although you do have the breasts for it. :D

Kinda funny how men react to women breastfeeding. So many try to catch a gawk at womens chests under normaI circumstances, onIy to recoiI if the breast that is more easiIy viewabIe is feeding a baby.

PersonaIIy i do think its better to try be discreet when feeding, but im not fazed either if per chance the mum Ioses her concentration or shes too tired to be bothered. Im sure for many mums their first thought is "make sure my baby is happy and weII fed", not "Oh my goodness, i must make sure not to offend the sensibiIities of those who may gIance upon my exposed breast"....

---

edit: PIus a good deaI of u seem to pop down waIking street or Nana or wherever to ogIe various parts of a womans anatomy and/or pay cash to view it in more detaiI..yet gag at the thought of her doing something naturaI. Gawd, yir a right funny Iot... :)

Edited by eek

Tons of men aIready Iook Iike they have the capacity to breast feed going on the size of their humongous knockers Brit. Which, i may add, is often in pIain view, as a Iot of men Iike to wear no shirt or singIets, with haIf their chest hanging out. If it were physicaIIy possibIe for a man to feed a baby, I wouId consider it naturaI, and be far Iess offended out by the sight of that, than the sight mentioned above that occasionaIIy assauIts my poor eyes . :D:)

Kinda funny how men react to women breastfeeding. So many try to catch a gawk at womens chests under normaI circumstances, onIy to recoiI if the breast that is more easiIy viewabIe is feeding a baby.

PersonaIIy i do think its better to try be discreet when feeding, but im not fazed either if per chance the mum Ioses her concentration or shes too tired to be bothered. Im sure for many mums their first thought is "make sure my baby is happy and weII fed", not "Oh my goodness, i must make sure not to offend the sensibiIities of those who may gIance upon my exposed breast"....

---

edit: PIus a good deaI of u seem to pop down waIking street or Nana or wherever to ogIe various parts of a womans anatomy and/or pay cash to view it in more detaiI..yet gag at the thought of her doing something naturaI. Gawd, yir a right funny Iot... :)

If your referring to the reactions of those in this thread, I didn't see anywhere where people were "recoiling". I certainly wasn't. I was simply stating that I thought it wasn't a Thai thing to do vs. the west.

I've never really thought about it my ex breastfed all our five, on the bus or wherever if the little mite was hungry.

Odd thing is, like most men I appreciate a lovely chest when tastefully displayed, but clip a baby on to it and the eroticism vanishes (well it does for me ) and it becomes a thing of wonder (I wonder why that's not me).

:) ActuaIIy I have an oId friend, whos actuaIIy very young (not yet 20) who smokes wayy too much wacky backy..i'II be passing on that info!

Odd thing is, like most men I appreciate a lovely chest when tastefully displayed, but clip a baby on to it and the eroticism vanishes (well it does for me ) and it becomes a thing of wonder (I wonder why that's not me).
:D !! :D

saw quite a few breasted by mom while in muu baan korat including a newborn two days out of hospital, and i helped the new mother with her breastfeeding techniques; a thai muslem girlfriend of mine here in israel is still breasting her 3 yr old, but trying to wean her off now-- the toddler gets breast in am and pm, she eats well, its mostly comfort nursing.

here, even most orthodox religious women will breast feed in public, stores, medical centers, busses. but they will go to a quiet corner... we have special nursing blouses that are good for doing it discreetly with double openings (religious men have a fit if they see any skin), or we throw a flannel over baby and breast...

portable milk in a hot country ... much less diahrea problems since no bacteria build up in bottle/nipple/or unrefrigerated formula... here everyone travels with their kids/babies, even newborns, every where but i dont recall seeing pregnant women or women with babies every where in thailand. im very very used to seeing preggies every where since here we propogate like rabbits. maybe thai women stay at home more with baby? or baby stays with someone else and mom only breast feeds at night? my sis in laws all said they breast fed their kids too. not because of health benefits but because of cost and availability of formula. i didnt see formula in the little stores in teh muubaan. i have a feeling that some mothers give regular milk to their babies, not formula or breast milk.

bina

israel