Necklace Snatched From Tourist In Kata.

ScubaBuddha

On my way to the gym tonight (9pm-ish Friday) I passed four impromptu police "checkpoints" set-up on Kata-Sai Yuan Rd. (4233) between Kata/Kata Noi and Rawaii/Naiharn . Each time it was just a couple of random cops in the road flagging over riders. At one point there were a group of Thai men being detained sitting on the ground. I only got asked to stop at one and was immediately waved on before stopping. The last one was manned by those unarmed local police, whatever they are called. Anyway, after the workout I saw them in front of 7-11 all smiley so I asked what had happened, and they said someone had ripped a necklace off a tourist in Kata and they were trying to catch them. Unknown if the thieves were on a motorbike or what, but one would assume. No word on if they caught them.

Good to see the police on the job trying to apprehend the perpertrator(s) but they could help deter crime by being more visible. It is quite possible the reported crime statistics are just the tip of the iceberg. Catching a few people playing cards may help the numbers but going after the owners of the big gambling dens, bringing to justice the drug overlords, the murder for hire masterminds, etc would bring the police more kudos.

Good to see the police on the job trying to apprehend the perpertrator(s) but they could help deter crime by being more visible. It is quite possible the reported crime statistics are just the tip of the iceberg. Catching a few people playing cards may help the numbers but going after the owners of the big gambling dens, bringing to justice the drug overlords, the murder for hire masterminds, etc would bring the police more kudos.

I have noticed in the past few weeks in rawai/naiharn fairly regular police patrols in the evening.

It was good to see them doing something about it instead of just telling the tourist to go to the station and make a report.

It is interesting that back home my mates and I would regularly get together for a little friendly poker, but when I mention starting up a poker night here, it's met with much resistance for fear of getting caught. What a paradox the LOS is sometimes.

A friend of an acquaintance is chums with, lets just say, "one of the local police chiefs". I might ask the chief next time I see him whether the concerns about a farang-only poker night are justified. My hope is he will just hand me his business card as a response. :)

A friend of an acquaintance is chums with, lets just say, "one of the local police chiefs". I might ask the chief next time I see him whether the concerns about a farang-only poker night are justified. My hope is he will just hand me his business card as a response. :)

They do bust them.. Too much tea money to resist..

They did over the French guys in the bar next to evil club massage in Tong recently.