All Natural Peanut Butter ?

Thaiboxer1

Anyone know where I can buy some all natural peanut butter?

This is the kind that is only blended peanuts without the hydrogenation and added sugar.

Ingredients should simply state peanuts.

Apart from blending it myself, which never turns smooth enough and quite a mess.

Anywhere in Pattaya but I'll travel to Bangkok too.

I believe Bangkok Adventist Hospital (Mission hospital) makes them. The hossi is in Bkk. YOu can also get this hossi's peanut butter at Lemon Farm Sukhumvit 39 (Bkk). If there's a Lemon Farm store in Pattaya, then you can perhaps check with them.

Have a great one.

Edited by bangkokian

I make my own.

It is so easy.  I do not understand why you cannot make it smooth.

What machine are you using ?

I agree. Easy to make. I use the small nut-grinder attachment that comes with most mixers- even the cheapest ones. Just make a little at a time.. For larger quantities, there are food processors and meat grinders which do the job nicely. The cheapest cost about 600 baht where I live...

When I first came here, I used a mortar and pestle to make it. A bit of work, but good stuff :o

I make my own.

Hi Thetyim,

I'm using an Otto Pro Blender from Big C. When I blend, the peanut butter gets trapped under the blades and does not get fully blended. Plus a royal pain in the ass to clean the blender under the blades.

I make my own.

Hi Thetyim,

I'm using an Otto Pro Blender from Big C. When I blend, the peanut butter gets trapped under the blades and does not get fully blended. Plus a royal pain in the ass to clean the blender under the blades.

A blender is not designed for doing that, as you've discovered... :o

There should another smaller attachment for nut grinding...

Edited by Ajarn

I make my own.

I agree. Easy to make. I use the small nut-grinder attachment that comes with most mixers- even the cheapest ones. Just make a little at a time.. For larger quantities, there are food processors and meat grinders which do the job nicely. The cheapest cost about 600 baht where I live...

When I first came here, I used a mortar and pestle to make it. A bit of work, but good stuff :D

Hey Ajarn,

So that's what that lil attachment is for! I'll dig it up and try!

Thx

And ya, the stuff taste too ###### good, can never go back to normal peanut butter again! :o

I believe Bangkok Adventist Hospital (Mission hospital) makes them.  The hossi is in Bkk.  YOu can also get this hossi's peanut butter  at Lemon Farm Sukhumvit 39 (Bkk).  If there's a Lemon Farm store in Pattaya, then you can perhaps check with them.

Have a great one.

Bangkokian,

Thanks for the info...I'll try again to make my own, but good to know where I can finally get some if needed!

:o

I make my own.

When I first came here, I used a mortar and pestle to make it. A bit of work, but good stuff :D

Hey Ajarn,

So that's what that lil attachment is for! I'll dig it up and try!

Thx

And ya, the stuff taste too ###### good, can never go back to normal peanut butter again! :D

I still also buy some Skippy's, for nostalgia, I guess, but homemade is always too ###### good, as you said. :o

No problemo... Yeah.. Home-made is always best...

I believe Bangkok Adventist Hospital (Mission hospital) makes them.  The hossi is in Bkk.  YOu can also get this hossi's peanut butter   at Lemon Farm Sukhumvit 39 (Bkk).  If there's a Lemon Farm store in Pattaya, then you can perhaps check with them.

Have a great one.

Bangkokian,

Thanks for the info...I'll try again to make my own, but good to know where I can finally get some if needed!

:o

I buy good quality peanuts from the local market for 40-45 baht kilo.

Roast them in the oven.

Then whizz them up in the food processor with salt and a little oil added.

Arrrggh..I bought some peanuts out of it's shell in a pakage from Foodland yesterday...blended it up and it tastes like s*it! Dry w/no butter consistency! Maybe I'm using the wrong peanuts as there was no oil consistency? What kind of oil do u use and why do u have to roast them as I don't have an oven.

Roast them in the oven.

Arrrggh..I bought some peanuts out of it's shell in a pakage from Foodland yesterday...blended it up and it tastes like s*it! Dry w/no butter consistency! Maybe I'm using the wrong peanuts as there was no oil consistency? What kind of oil do u use and why do u have to roast them as I don't have an oven.

TB, I buy the same raw peanuts (20-25 bt per kilo here), but I deep fry them for a minute or so... If you have a good processor, you shouldn't need to add any extra oil, in my experience. Maybe the oven roasting dries out the peanut more?

If you do add oil, try to make it peanut oil, obviously, but I've also seen soi and canola oil used.. I don't care for that taste, myself.

You can also make tasty butters from almonds, walnuts, and cashews... :o

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn, right on the nose as usual.

Roasting does dry them out a bit so I add one tablespoon of oil to one kilo of nuts.

If you do not have an oven you can also skillet roast them but then you must stir them constantly

Roast them in the oven.

TB, I buy the same raw peanuts (20-25 bt per kilo here), but I deep fry them for a minute or so... If you have a good processor, you shouldn't need to add any extra oil, in my experience. Maybe the oven roasting dries out the peanut more?

If you do add oil, try to make it peanut oil, obviously, but I've also seen soi and canola oil used.. I don't care for that taste, myself.

Ajarn,

What's the deep frying do? Does it make the peanuts more soft for blending? I'd like to avoid the deep fry as I'm a major health nut. (no pun intended) :D

I use nat. peanut butter as my good source of fat, but having to deep fry seems like it would defeat the purpose.

I'll look for some peanut oil at Tesco's, add to the peanuts and try that. Hopefully, get the consistency rite.

And by the way, I'm using an Otto Thai Brand blender w/the lil dry nut grater cup attachment...maybe not powerful enough? Should I spring for a food processor? I'll experiment again 2nite, like a mad scientest in my lab! muhahaha! :D

Many thx again!

Edited by Thaiboxer1

Roast them in the oven.

Ajarn,

What's the deep frying do? Does it make the peanuts more soft for blending? I'd like to avoid the deep fry as I'm a major health nut. (no pun intended) :D

I use nat. peanut butter as my good source of fat, but having to deep fry seems like it would defeat the purpose.

I'll look for some peanut oil at Tesco's, add to the peanuts and try that. Hopefully, get the consistency rite.

And by the way, I'm using an Otto Thai Brand blender w/the lil dry nut grater cup attachment...maybe not powerful enough? Should I spring for a food processor? I'll experiment again 2nite, like a mad scientest in my lab! muhahaha! :D

Many thx again!

TB, the frying cooks the peanuts. You can't grind raw peanuts into butter. If you don't want to fry, then it sounds like Thetyim's suggestion of pan roasting might work better for you.

Have fun :D

Roast them in the oven.

Thanks for the advice. Just one more question.

Do you remove the actual skin from each nut before grinding or do you grind the skin with the nuts?

Roast them in the oven.

Thanks for the advice. Just one more question.

Do you remove the actual skin from each nut before grinding or do you grind the skin with the nuts?

I wonder if you might be using the smaller 'Spanish Peanut', as I know it, more rounded, and with a reddish-brownish skin.... If that's the case, I really like the taste with the skins., but you can remove the skins, if you want. Makes it a bit drier with the skins though, so you'll likely need to add some extra oil.

After you've made the butter, you might want to add a tblsp or so of honey and rough mix it in. Nice flavour balance. :o

Edited by Ajarn

One more solution.

You can microwave the peanuts.

Never done it myself but read about it when I was researching.

Apparently you soak them in water for a couple of mins and then nuke for 12 mins but stop and stir every two mins

Ajarn,

What's the deep frying do?  Does it make the peanuts more soft for blending?  I'd like to avoid the deep fry as I'm a major health nut.  (no pun intended)  :o

I'll look for some peanut oil at Tesco's, add to the peanuts and try that.  Hopefully, get the consistency rite.

And by the way, I'm using an Otto Thai Brand blender w/the lil dry nut grater cup attachment...maybe not powerful enough?  Should I spring for a food processor?  I'll experiment again 2nite, like a mad scientest in my lab! muhahaha!  :D

Many thx again!

Thaiboxer1,

I simply entered the Googlesphere and found this, which should answer all your prep questions:

http://www.aboutpeanuts.com/reci2.html

I myself -- I don't live in SEA (yet) -- use slightly lower-fat almond butter. But that may distract you from the core issue: prepping your own butter. I think the above link has all the answers for you.

enjoy

KB

Ps Good luck in your training!

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Ajarn,

What's the deep frying do?  Does it make the peanuts more soft for blending?  I'd like to avoid the deep fry as I'm a major health nut.  (no pun intended)  :o

I'll look for some peanut oil at Tesco's, add to the peanuts and try that.  Hopefully, get the consistency rite.

And by the way, I'm using an Otto Thai Brand blender w/the lil dry nut grater cup attachment...maybe not powerful enough?  Should I spring for a food processor?  I'll experiment again 2nite, like a mad scientest in my lab! muhahaha!   :D

Many thx again!

Thaiboxer1,

I simply entered the Googlesphere and found this, which should answer all your prep questions:

http://www.aboutpeanuts.com/reci2.html

I myself -- I don't live in SEA (yet) -- use slightly lower-fat almond butter. But that may distract you from the core issue: prepping your own butter. I think the above link has all the answers for you.

enjoy

KB

Ps Good luck in your training!

Kaboi,

Thx for the site, great info!!! MMMMM....peanut butter...here I come! :D