Business Lecturer Salaries (thai Univ.)

Hello everybody,

I am interested in Business Lecturer salaries at private Thai Universities (Chula, ABAC, etc.) for foreign instructors! Not language teaching!

Salaries for Lecturers with Phd

Salaries for Lecturers with MS/MBA

Subjects I want to teach (Marketing, International Business, Strategy, etc.)

Myself: MBA, some teaching experience, 7yr corporate experience, educated in US and EU.

Does anybody have any information on salaries, weekly lecture hours, etc.

Any feedback will be welcome.

Hello everybody,

I am interested in Business Lecturer salaries at private Thai Universities (Chula, ABAC, etc.) for foreign instructors! Not language teaching!

Salaries for Lecturers with Phd

Salaries for Lecturers with MS/MBA

Subjects I want to teach (Marketing, International Business, Strategy, etc.)

Myself: MBA, some teaching experience, 7yr corporate experience, educated in US and EU.

Does anybody have any information on salaries, weekly lecture hours, etc.

Any feedback will be welcome.

Here's some comments which are hopefully helpful:

- Some lecturers (depends on the uni. and what they are needing from time to time) are on just an hourly rate, and some are on a small salary plus an hourly rate for lecturing hours.

- Total teaching hours depends very much on what lecturers the uni. needs for each semester. You could find your self teaching once a week, twice a week, or perhaps more. My university normally gives new lecturers just one course to start to check the quality of the teaching, then (depending on how many lecturers they need / and how many they want to try to keep), the number of courses you are assigned to might go up with following semesters.

- Week day lectures are usually two or three hours. Most universities have week-end masters programs, 6 hours of lectures on Sat, and same on Sunday.

- Payment is not really geared to your personal qualifications, payment is usually by the level of the course your teaching: masters courses are usually paid more than bachelor programs. Payment for Ph.D. work is quite a mix of arrangements, case by case.

- Actual rates are not standard but a rough guide would be:

- - For bachelor programs - 2,300Baht per hour up to perhaps 2,600Baht per hour (approximate)

- - For masters programs - 2,500Baht per hour up to perhaps 3,000Baht per hour (approximate)

- Many lecturers teach at two universities.

- Work permit seems to be a mixed situation. By law you must have a work permit. Some universities (including mine) are very serious about this, others don't seem to worry about it. Some universities pay the fees for work permit. Others will help you to lodge the documents etc., but you must pay all the fees.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Just to add a few points:

1. Chula is a public university: Assumption (ABAC) is private.

2. Public universities mostly pay on salary rather than per hour. A full Professor (last time I checked) would get about B35,000 per month, Assistant or Assocate Professors less. Salaries are mostly pegged to the standard civil service grades, though some lecturers are now being employed on the public service officer scales which are a little higher at the bottom but with fewer fringe benefits.

3. Business schools seem to pay more, though I have no direct experience. I've never worked for a private university.

4. Academics may indeed have more than one post. But an arrangement that seems more common is for the individual to have his/her main position and also do odd paid sessions at other universities. Teaching one-off sessions on Masters courses, for example, is likely to pay from about B2,000 per hour plus expenses upwards (I quote the fee Chula that paid me last year, which I thought was rather underwhelming). Mahidol's rates are fractionally higher. NIDA pays considerably more. There is also sometimes the possibility of teaching at satellite campuses of the main university and at weekends for extra payments.

Overall the pay for academics in Thailand is much lower than in the West, which is not good news considering that Western university salaries compare unfavourably with most senior jobs in the private sector. The trick is to get your Western (or Japanese) University to pay for you to spend some time in Thailand.

Im with scorecard, as I did 3 years at 2 universities in Bangkok up until recently .

16 hours aweek, sometimes 24 a week total, with hourly rate of 3,000- baht.

Position yourself as being outside the Kingdom when applying.

There is most often a vast difference in salary between those

"in-country" and those perceived or actually coming from

overseas for the position. Ko Jie Mi?

Im with scorecard, as I did 3 years at 2 universities in Bangkok up until recently .

for me i had been in Thailand 15 years when i started these Guest Lectureships

Guest Lecturers and Guest Professors for MBA / above / business professinals are paid quite differently from other educational institutions and high school / college students. Different deal altogether. :)

for me i had been in Thailand 15 years when i started these Guest Lectureships

Guest Lecturers and Guest Professors for MBA / above / business professinals are paid quite differently from other educational institutions and high school / college students. Different deal altogether. :)

Thank you very much for all the great information.

@clinique: I am currently working in Europe (corporate setting) and would move to BKK if an interesting academic position comes up.

Great feedback on the payrate issue. However, I got a few more questions and hope you can share your experience.

How is the visa situation for somebody coming from outside, as myself?

Do schools normally sponsor and take care of the workpermit? Also, can you work at different jobs with the workpermit, or do you need sponsorship from each employer (I mean legally)?

How is the healthcare issue for lecturers? Does the university offer good health insurance, or would I have to take care of it myself? If yes, what is the price range?

How about deductions from your salary (gross to net)?

I am planning to fly to BKK at the end of this month and will contact a few schools as I am interested to return to academics in 2010. Any recommendations, which schools I should check out?

I am also interested in doing some research besides teaching as I want to start working on my phd in the near future. Any experience on research funding, combined positions (teaching/research)? My particular research interest lies in cross-cultural marketing (east/west).

Thanks