Raro Installed Linux

raro

My linux comes with a certain package of whatever software that runs somewhere in the background and does things I don't want/need to know about.

Yes, but the main difference from windows is that your Linux also comes with a bundle of all kinds of programs that are save to install. For now you only have a list of what's in it, the "index", and the software itself is on special servers called "repositories". You go through the list, click what you want, and Linux installs it for you.

In windows world you go to websites and download installers. That works in Linux, too, but there are many potential pitfalls, hence the idea of official, fail-proof "repositories" and "Synpatic package manager".

Official ubuntu repositories are limited only to fully open source programs, so they don't include programs like VLC or Opera or codecs for playing DivX movies. The first step to expand official repositories is to add "multiverse" in Synaptic settings, that would add a lot of extra free programs to choose from. Mint and other less strict linux versions include them in their official repositories right from the start.

You can do the same in Transmission . Transmission is more than enough for all the torrent use. You can set the download or Upload limit for a specific torrent or as a global setting. You can schedule the speed limit for a specific of a day. You must upgrade to the latest 1.74 stable version for the scheduling of the speed limits. It also makes Ubuntu feel more like Mac :) .

You can do the same in Transmission . Transmission is more than enough for all the torrent use. You can set the download or Upload limit for a specific torrent or as a global setting. You can schedule the speed limit for a specific of a day. You must upgrade to the latest 1.74 stable version for the scheduling of the speed limits. It also makes Ubuntu feel more like Mac :D .

I agree, Transmission is the best Linux and Mac torrent client. Can run for days without any problem.

And for the great Mac look you can use the Mac4Lin GTK theme, great. :) You have to activate 3D and have Compiz + Emerald installed though.

capture2tt.th.jpg

ok guys, Qtorrent is installed, but if this is the nearest to uTorrent, then I do not want to know about the other options we have under linux!

There are zero options, so I cannot direct the client where it should save the temp files and the finished downloads. The columns are also rather basic, no ETA for instance.

2 out of 10 points, nice try but not what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions?

...looking for my XP disk...

Looking for your XP disk may not be such a bad idea. Dual booting is a good way to ease into Linux, i.e. it's not an either/or situation. It's what I did until I got the hang of things. Once I did, I almost never looked back. But if you jump into it too quickly, you might be overwhelmed and not see its benefits.