Disabled Elderly Retirees

Many of us retirees are now getting older and sooner or later may not be able to make the yearly trips to immigration where we are supposed to apply in person. Some of us might not even be able to write and fill in forms. Even of greater concern to some: maybe that they have very high medical bills and have insufficient funds left to meet the financial requirements. Or perhaps inflation and exchange rates have reduced thier finances. Will they be deported? What if they are unfit to travel?

I'm sure many retirees will have concerns for thier future in Thailand and it would be interesting to read some comments on this subject,

Many of us retirees are now getting older and sooner or later may not be able to make the yearly trips to immigration where we are supposed to apply in person. Some of us might not even be able to write and fill in forms. Even of greater concern to some: maybe that they have very high medical bills and have insufficient funds left to meet the financial requirements. Or perhaps inflation and exchange rates have reduced thier finances. Will they be deported? What if they are unfit to travel?

I'm sure many retirees will have concerns for thier future in Thailand and it would be interesting to read some comments on this subject,

It has been said that immigration, on humanitarian grounds, will not deport those caught in the circumstances you describe. As far as medical expenses go, private hospitals are out of the question if you cannot pay in advance, government hospitals are much more cost effective but still cost something. Best you can hope for is a loving Thai wife to take care of you and a comfortable, quick passing.

I a retired, disabled American.

I can tell you that notes from Doctors (especially those in hospitals) go a long way in helping with the matters you are concerned about.

I can say the same thing about having a Thai wife or dependable, Thai girlfriend. I frequently miss the 90 day reports. Thai Immigration

allows my wife to do these for me.

Chok dee ... relax and don't worry. Be truthful ... it works with Thai Immigration, etc.

It has been said that immigration, on humanitarian grounds, will not deport those caught in the circumstances you describe. As far as medical expenses go, private hospitals are out of the question if you cannot pay in advance, government hospitals are much more cost effective but still cost something. Best you can hope for is a loving Thai wife to take care of you and a comfortable, quick passing.

A reassuring reply. We do use government hospitals but even they now seems to be ripping off foreigners. The Hua Hin Government Hospital charged me Bt3000 for some medice which cost only Bt1200 in the pharmacy. In Chiangmai I had another similar experience at a government Hospital where they appear to have one pharmacy for Thais and another for foreigners. I do have a loving Thai wife and been married 36 years but she is not well and I have to look after her.

The cost of medicine in hospitals has nothing to do with your nationality... they charge the same high price to everyone. Many hospitals make a lot of extra money on the market up of different medication.

You just need to be sure they understand that you will not be buying medication in the hospital. Be polite, but do not take no for an answer...

IME most of the Immigration forms have a section at the end where a nominee/agent can

be appointed to make the application for you.

During 4 years working in Bangkok I never visited Immigration.

The company always did it on my behalf.

I just signed the forms.

The cost of medicine in hospitals has nothing to do with your nationality... they charge the same high price to everyone. Many hospitals make a lot of extra money on the market up of different medication.

You just need to be sure they understand that you will not be buying medication in the hospital. Be polite, but do not take no for an answer...

I never buy medicine in private hospitals and they do not seem to mind if you politely refuse. But I did not expect government hospitals to charge much more. However my comments about the hospital in Chiangmai are correct. I saw the locals at the pharmacy inside the hospital. and I insisted on going back there where I was charged much less.

A year ago I paid for my treatment at the proper cashier Bt300. This year I had to pay the bill upstairs in the Doctors office Bt850 . I never complain because even at that price it is cheap but I obviously was being charged much more than for locals. It does seem the trend nowadays.