Linux Mint Vs Ubuntu

thaimite

I have read several posts on this forum about Linux Mint.

I have just purchased a new desktop and installed Ubuntu on it, but now I am wondering if Mint would be better.

Can somebody please give me a brief list of the advantages / disadvantages of Mint vs Ubuntu.

I have read the Mint Wike, but so far am not much the wiser

The main use the for new machine will be as a repositry server ofr my many TB of media files and also an Interne server for teh house as I have to use a CAT USB dongle with Internet connection sharing.

I am relativly new to Ubuntu having played with it for only about 6 months but have been using M$ products since MS DOS 2

I'm pretty sure there is no option to upgrade from Ubuntu to Mint. Don't worry, during the Mint install you should have an option to erase the partitions and make a clean install.

Mint versus Ubuntu

Linux Mint vs Ubuntu @ LinuxQuestions

Thanks

I am not sure their is any real advantage but I will give it a try so I am downloading it now.

As my new server is not fully set up I do not mind losing the Ubuntu partition, but maybe I will make it a triple boot with Windoze 7 which I have put on just to remind me to persevere with Linux :)

At first glance - and no expert here whatsoever - Mint is much more user friendly than Ubuntu. Coming from Windows I find my way around without thinking too much "where shall I click next..?"

Also the install routine was better, giving you more UNDERSTANDABLE options. Last not least, the green colour scheme is much better eyecandy than Ubuntu's dysantary brown.

If you have a existing Ubuntu if you install a new theme and a few other application you have Mint ! Mint is just a dressed up version of Ubuntu . If you don't want to take your time customizing your Ubuntu install and like the Mint look , go for Mint. If you have like customizing your OS then you can stick with Ubuntu , there is no advantage in changing to Mint. For customization tips you can look at OMG Ubuntu and there are a lot of resources in the web. Mint = Ubuntu so its your personal choice.