Compensation/benefits For Working For A Business Office In Thailand

So, if you are a foreigner/Westerner working for a private Western business here in Bangkok, Thailand what compensation are you suppose to receive and benefits? I thought it was at least 60,000 Thai Baht a month, plus Public Holidays off/paid, and a non-immigrant B work visa. Can someone confirm or correct me on this? I know that if the business does not supply you with the visa and minimal that you are working illegally in Thailand. That is not a good thing and that not is my intent at all. I need to make sure I understand the laws and generally agreed upon compensation for a foreigner/Western working for a Business in Thailand.

Basic info:

American owner has a business setup with Thai investor/partner

American owner has his own legit business visa and lawyer on call

American owner has a company set up through treaty of amenity

Foreigners work for the company and only one Thai. Owner is working on getting visas for some foreigners, including non-immigrant O and M Visas or maybe visas through the Thai investors other company. Pay is well below 50,000 Thai baht a month for all employees. No vacation/personal/holiday time allotted. Overtime expected but no compensation.

Assistant is much appreciated as I need to decide how to handle my situation. Thank you.

Zen

I hope this is not the company you are refering to. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/American-Dup...er-t300826.html

No, it's not. I never saw that thread but I'll read through it.

The boss pays us but is usually late. Weekly pay but anywhere between Friday and Sunday some time. Seeing that the pay is so low most of us live paycheck-to-paycheck.

So, if you are a foreigner/Westerner working for a private Western business here in Bangkok, Thailand what compensation are you suppose to receive and benefits? I thought it was at least 60,000 Thai Baht a month, plus Public Holidays off/paid, and a non-immigrant B work visa. Can someone confirm or correct me on this?

Dream on. There is no minimum wage for foreigners. normally they are expected to be out of pocket, and have to bring money into Thailand. :):D

The 60K you have probably got from the visa requirements if you apply for a yearly extension at immigration. Employees in Thailand have the right to public holidays and the statutory holidays, but whether you actually get them is between you and the boss. If you push the point then you might find yourself out of a job. This is Thailand and not Farangland.

I know that if the business does not supply you with the visa and minimal that you are working illegally in Thailand. That is not a good thing and that not is my intent at all. I need to make sure I understand the laws and generally agreed upon compensation for a foreigner/Western working for a Business in Thailand.

You are only working illegally if you are working outside of the duties specified in your work permit.

Pay is well below 50,000 Thai baht a month for all employees. No vacation/personal/holiday time allotted. Overtime expected but no compensation.

Assistant is much appreciated as I need to decide how to handle my situation. Thank you.

The conditions sound a bit on the hard side. The problem you face is that if you complain you will be possibly be kicked out, and replaced by any number of wannabees.

The only approach I can recommend is a meeting with the boss about working conditions and try to "ease" the requirements.

So, if you are a foreigner/Westerner working for a private Western business here in Bangkok, Thailand what compensation are you suppose to receive and benefits? I thought it was at least 60,000 Thai Baht a month, plus Public Holidays off/paid, and a non-immigrant B work visa. Can someone confirm or correct me on this?

Dream on. There is no minimum wage for foreigners. normally they are expected to be out of pocket, and have to bring money into Thailand. :):D

The 60K you have probably got from the visa requirements if you apply for a yearly extension at immigration. Employees in Thailand have the right to public holidays and the statutory holidays, but whether you actually get them is between you and the boss. If you push the point then you might find yourself out of a job. This is Thailand and not Farangland.

I know that if the business does not supply you with the visa and minimal that you are working illegally in Thailand. That is not a good thing and that not is my intent at all. I need to make sure I understand the laws and generally agreed upon compensation for a foreigner/Western working for a Business in Thailand.

You are only working illegally if you are working outside of the duties specified in your work permit.

Pay is well below 50,000 Thai baht a month for all employees. No vacation/personal/holiday time allotted. Overtime expected but no compensation.

The conditions sound a bit on the hard side. The problem you face is that if you complain you will be possibly be kicked out, and replaced by any number of wannabees.

The only approach I can recommend is a meeting with the boss about working conditions and try to "ease" the requirements.

Thanks, however your thoughts are correct. I got sick and was out of work in the hospital while the boss was out of the country. I emailed him to let him know and asked for sick leave and to talk about me getting a work visa (which he keeps saying he will get me but never does) and a raise (which he keeps saying... but never does) so when I came back to work and he came back from his trip he seemed cold towards me and it seems that he might want to get rid of me.

I have any and all office duties that fit 3 different job descriptions, get paid very little, no legal benefits, and I ask for what I feel is just and I get the boot? Yeah, loving it here...

If you see ads on ThaiVisa, bahtsold, or craigslist to work for a Video/Media Production Company in the Satorn area stay far away. We've lost 3 past farang employees because of lots of talk and no action on the boss' part.

Zen.

Other replies are welcomed...

So, if you are a foreigner/Westerner working for a private Western business here in Bangkok, Thailand what compensation are you suppose to receive and benefits? I thought it was at least 60,000 Thai Baht a month, plus Public Holidays off/paid, and a non-immigrant B work visa. Can someone confirm or correct me on this? I know that if the business does not supply you with the visa and minimal that you are working illegally in Thailand. That is not a good thing and that not is my intent at all. I need to make sure I understand the laws and generally agreed upon compensation for a foreigner/Western working for a Business in Thailand.

:) ...you are very much mistaken, there are no specified minimum salaries for Farangs in Thailand, you are thinking about the amount that has to be stated to immigration to obtain an extension of stay, but this doesnt mean you will get the amount stated..

Working illegally doesnt just mean being provided with the visa, it means the work permit as well, even if you have a visa, whether an Non-imm O or a B visa, doesnt give you the right to work, you still need a work permit, the visa is the easy part...

:) ...you are very much mistaken, there are no specified minimum salaries for Farangs in Thailand, you are thinking about the amount that has to be stated to immigration to obtain an extension of stay, but this doesnt mean you will get the amount stated..

Working illegally doesnt just mean being provided with the visa, it means the work permit as well, even if you have a visa, whether an Non-imm O or a B visa, doesnt give you the right to work, you still need a work permit, the visa is the easy part...

Okay, so there is no minimal for a farang to earn in salary from a business. Then I am mistaken. Thank you.

And you need a work permit in addition to the visa. The problem is the boss is trying to find which visa is easiest (meaning cheapest) to get for each employee as we are each from different countries. He isn't doing work permits that I know about. And he is only doing visas but we keep telling him we need them and tourist visas don't do what we need. He doesn't want to give holidays, visas, work permits, just salaries, overtime, etc. He starts everyone off on a one month unpaid internship!! haha. He started that right after I started though but I've finally seen all the errors in this "business".

Okay, so there is no minimal for a farang to earn in salary from a business. Then I am mistaken. Thank you.

And you need a work permit in addition to the visa. The problem is the boss is trying to find which visa is easiest (meaning cheapest) to get for each employee as we are each from different countries. He isn't doing work permits that I know about. And he is only doing visas but we keep telling him we need them and tourist visas don't do what we need. He doesn't want to give holidays, visas, work permits, just salaries, overtime, etc. He starts everyone off on a one month unpaid internship!! haha. He started that right after I started though but I've finally seen all the errors in this "business".

If no work permit...You are/were working illegally irrespective of the visa....

If no work permit...You are/were working illegally irrespective of the visa....

Okay. Thank you for letting me know... wow, that can't be good for a company if they got caught...

Okay. Thank you for letting me know... wow, that can't be good for a company if they got caught...

Dont even think about it.....the penalties for the company are a lot less severe than for the individual working without a WP...remember reading somewhere along the lines that the employee has the responsiblity not to work without a WP, so by you taking the job, you are just a gulity....

If memory serves a company will get fined, the individual can end up the guest of Thailands finest...

Dont even think about it.....the penalties for the company are a lot less severe than for the individual working without a WP...remember reading somewhere along the lines that the employee has the responsiblity not to work without a WP, so by you taking the job, you are just a gulity....

If memory serves a company will get fined, the individual can end up the guest of Thailands finest...

Thanks for letting me know.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for letting me know.

An M visa is a media visa ... is that what you meant to say ?

I have any and all office duties that fit 3 different job descriptions, get paid very little, no legal benefits, and I ask for what I feel is just and I get the boot? Yeah, loving it here...

If you see ads on ThaiVisa, bahtsold, or craigslist to work for a Video/Media Production Company in the Satorn area stay far away. We've lost 3 past farang employees because of lots of talk and no action on the boss' part.

Zen.

Other replies are welcomed...

Well it's pretty clear why.

Just tell him to shove his job as soon as you get a new visa.

YOU can't be done for working illegally if the Labour Department find out about the lack of Work Permits for employees after you've left the company.

Zentraveller,

You are either desperate or stupid. Why would anyone want to work for an idiot like your American employer. His way of doing business won't last long, guaranteed! Instead of wasting time getting visas, salary increases, etc. from this idiot, you better start spending lots of time on networking and finding a proper job!

JR