Tsunami Widow To Help Thais

aqua

Tsunami widow to help Thais

By Jane Howard

March 27, 2005

TRISHA Broadbridge has vowed to help build a school in Thailand as a lasting monument to her husband and soul mate Troy whose life was claimed by the tsunami.

And she plans to devote a month each year to teach poor Thai children as a way to repay Thais' kindness after the Boxing Day catastrophe.

The young widow of Melbourne footballer Troy made the pledge after an emotional, private return visit to Thailand. She is determined her loss will not be in vain.

Ms Broadbridge, 23, spoke this week about how she has gained greater resolve to "love and honour Troy forever".

"I do not want to be seen as the tragic bride, I have been given a second chance in life by surviving and I want to make sure that I stayed for a reason," she said.

"It is a miracle I have survived and a tragedy that Troy hasn't. But if I can inspire people through what has happened to me I feel like I have brought a positive from what has been such a tragic time for me.

"It is heartbreaking to lose Troy but I don't want people to look at me and feel sorry.

"I want them to look at me and think 'Wow, she is making a difference' instead of letting tragedy rule my life."

Ms Broadbridge is now planning the construction of a Thai school. She is also learning Thai and studying teaching.

Ms Broadbridge cannot even contemplate ever finding love again as she says she had the very best. "He was amazing, my guardian angel," she said.

"He taught me a lot about life and about love and I wouldn't give back the last six years for anything despite the tragedy.

"We talked about it on Phi Phi, that we were so lucky, that not everyone in life experiences this deep love that we had.

"I'll always carry his legacy."

Edited by aqua