Buying With No Plate

baza

When looking aroun 929 money there was one at 130k booked.. theres a R1 going for 150 asking.. Think I saw a early CBR900 going for similar money.

Adding a legit book to that price on that age doesnt make much sense. Unless theres some reason why you particularly like that exact bike that adds serious value.

Worst thing with the 80k legit books, is that they are not really legit. Its a hefty mod of engine and exhaust to pass emissiontest (at 29k baht). Then the mods are removed again, and bike wont pass future emission tests.

Yeah but I dont think old bikes are held to the same standards as new registrations.. Certainly I had an old clunker do emmisions recently for tax renewal and they tested it and it passed.. Thats not a Euro II I spec FI machine for sure.

I assume an imported bike registered today has to qualify emission on par with new bikes. As goes for bikes build from parts. There is no reason for LOS to be a dumpingplace for old bikes who dont pass emmision in their country of origin.

As for bikes already registered, the emission requirements are almost non existent if registered more than 5 years ago.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When looking aroun 929 money there was one at 130k booked.. theres a R1 going for 150 asking.. Think I saw a early CBR900 going for similar money.

Adding a legit book to that price on that age doesnt make much sense. Unless theres some reason why you particularly like that exact bike that adds serious value.

Worst thing with the 80k legit books, is that they are not really legit. Its a hefty mod of engine and exhaust to pass emissiontest (at 29k baht). Then the mods are removed again, and bike wont pass future emission tests.

Yeah but I dont think old bikes are held to the same standards as new registrations.. Certainly I had an old clunker do emmisions recently for tax renewal and they tested it and it passed.. Thats not a Euro II I spec FI machine for sure.

I assume an imported bike registered today has to qualify emission on par with new bikes. As goes for bikes build from parts. There is no reason for LOS to be a dumpingplace for old bikes who dont pass emmision in their country of origin.

As for bikes already registered, the emission requirements are almost non existent if registered more than 5 years ago.

I think we are saying the same thing..

That once it passes the 'registration emissions test' then the regular one is not nearly so tough. My objection was to the " bike wont pass future emission tests "

BTW, does anybody know any reliable agent or shop that can get a legit green book, pass the emission and get all paper work done for a japanese imported used bike? Too many beauties out there without plates, too tempted to buy one!! why are they buying in the first place? Does the law bent for thais? Are the thais allowed to ride without plates?

Why would the bike need for future emission test? Do you go for a test every time the bike is transferred?

At every transfer its up to DMV what they want to check. If they are lazy, they just check the identity/VINcode/chassis and enginenumbers. Sometimes they check everything including emission.

Five years after 1st registration every vehicle has to be checked every year, including emission. Emission requirements will be as when bike was registered first time.

IOW 2008 and newer will need cat,egr and thai ECU to pass DMV emissiontest. Presently these yearly checks can be performed by approved independent somchais, and passing is not difficult or expensive. I doubt this will last.

BTW, does anybody know any reliable agent or shop that can get a legit green book, pass the emission and get all paper work done for a japanese imported used bike? Too many beauties out there without plates, too tempted to buy one!! why are they buying in the first place? Does the law bent for thais? Are the thais allowed to ride without plates?

There was someone advertising this service on TV classifieds before and theres a guy on facebook in the Thai bike groups that claims to be able to do this also. i have no experience of it but would love to find someone who can.. With the USD taking a nose dive I have seen 1050 speed triples at +- 200k baht in the US, add another 40k to ship and 100k to reg and you have a 740k bike at 350k money. Or just ride it on temp import at 250k money.

The problem with just buying plateless bikes and then starting the process is its one of many steps, the import of the bike, whole or in parts, the import license, the taxes paid, the correct stamps, the forms in triplicate, then the emissions, then the registration tax, and ultimately getting the book.. Maybe one of these steps is missing a signature ?? Maybe its missing a stamp.. Shops that control the whole thing from beginning to end on a fresh import seem to have a system, but multiple people all doing different bits has got potential money pit written all over it.

Five years after 1st registration every vehicle has to be checked every year, including emission. Emission requirements will be as when bike was registered first time.

I dont believe that.. You mean every back street tin shack test centre is going to have a database of bikes and their exact model year / ages and know which ones should be euro III compliant ??

I would say you have one difficult test to reg, then after that an unimportant test for annual tax and or sales.

I dont believe that.. You mean every back street tin shack test centre is going to have a database of bikes and their exact model year / ages and know which ones should be euro III compliant ??

I would say you have one difficult test to reg, then after that an unimportant test for annual tax and or sales.

Thailand has entered some international pollution agreements, and yes, this is one of them. It will probably be simplified by saying bikes reg first time after 2008, or perhaps even simpler by saying modelyear as stated in book.

Besides Euro III bikes dont pass Thai emission. Only other spec in the shelves (according to yamaha LOS) passing Thai emission is California. Since we have seen some Kwakers (Thailands only domestic bigbike manufactorer approved by BOI) with a LOS only ECU, we can see its not easy to qualify.

Diesel vehicles are now only 4 years behind European emission requirements, and Euro IV is scheduled for 2012 here.

I think international agreements are one thing.. But on the ground in real world Thailand the chances of them forcing somchais smoky bikes off the road over some agreement they made (when they dont even adhere to WTO agreements they make) is not gonna happen.

Just my gut feeling.

I think international agreements are one thing.. But on the ground in real world Thailand the chances of them forcing somchais smoky bikes off the road over some agreement they made (when they dont even adhere to WTO agreements they make) is not gonna happen.

Just my gut feeling.

I agree in the general picture, but targeting big bikes doesnt hurt thai people in general and doesnt cost thailand anything. So its one easy way to honor international agreements and produce great statistics. Best emission in the world on bigbikes. Gives a slack for accepting smoking diesel pickups and trucks.

Edited by katabeachbum

keep looking - there are used bikes here (-> "pinned" classified ads) and Baht & Sold etc when you

want something different.

Yep, I noticed the R1 for THB 150,000 and a quick call should clear whether the green book is from a SR 400 single :)

For chopper fans, many Honda Steeds around, and Intruders with 750 or 800 cc.

Darn, I cannot find a big bike website a Thai biker friend looked at - there were many

Hogs, BMWs and Ducati and even some Gold Wings!

In a nutshell, your bike is out there, with a green book. Now

shop around until you find it!

Spend the 80,000 on a good service, new tires etc. instead of starting some adventure where

you *might* get a recycled green book which at some point in future

will be a liability, not an asset! :D

Chris

• 5 months later...

Buyers Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ferangs be aware that Terra Motorcycles bike shop is a bad place to buy a bike.

Pok and Alex will cheat you everyway they can. Ask around some of the other shops

first before you buy a bike from them. They are way over priced! They will lie to you!

If they were in a western Country they would have there doors closed and they would go

to jail for fruad. There Red plates are no good if you are a ferrang. If you buy a bike with a

book there is a good chance it is fake. So this is a warning, becarefull! Dont get cheated!

Best off to stay away there are plenty of other places to buy a legal, good working Bike.

Buyers Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ferangs be aware that Terra Motorcycles bike shop is a bad place to buy a bike.

Pok and Alex will cheat you everyway they can. Ask around some of the other shops

first before you buy a bike from them. They are way over priced! They will lie to you!

If they were in a western Country they would have there doors closed and they would go

to jail for fruad. There Red plates are no good if you are a ferrang. If you buy a bike with a

book there is a good chance it is fake. So this is a warning, becarefull! Dont get cheated!

Best off to stay away there are plenty of other places to buy a legal, good working Bike.

Tera openly admits their 40k books are recycled from old 100-125cc bikes, with "changed" engines like 1000cc.

This used to work some years ago, nobody cared to check, now they are being impounded by customs and owner pressed charges if book says he replaced engine

TP have a terrible rep.. And you have to say theres no smoke without fire..

That said, I have found them honest in their dishonesty.. Eg they explained they could supply a bent red plate, and simply ride on that, or a recycled book at xx price, etc etc.. Now maybe I asked the right questions, hence they gave me a straight answer, but if you play the game dont cry if it all goes badly wrong. We know what Teera do, and its a service that some will use, to complain that you dealt with people on a crooked deal, and they turned out less than straight, well whose at fault ??

Of course if they make assurances that things are 100% legit, and they are not, that's bad practice, but its not hard to check their 'straight' prices v other companies 'straight' prices and see if they measure up.

Edited by LivinLOS

TP have a terrible rep.. And you have to say theres no smoke without fire..

That said, I have found them honest in their dishonesty.. Eg they explained they could supply a bent red plate, and simply ride on that, or a recycled book at xx price, etc etc.. Now maybe I asked the right questions, hence they gave me a straight answer, but if you play the game dont cry if it all goes badly wrong. We know what Teera do, and its a service that some will use, to complain that you dealt with people on a crooked deal, and they turned out less than straight, well whose at fault ??

Of course if they make assurances that things are 100% legit, and they are not, that's bad practice, but its not hard to check their 'straight' prices v other companies 'straight' prices and see if they measure up.

well, they still say a recycled book from an old 100-125cc is 100% legal for a newish TMax 500 auto, which we all know it is not