Uk Passport Renewal And Current Visa

Hi,

Hopefully a simple question. My old passport is just about full, and I just want to check my understanding as to what happens with obtaining a new one.

I've just done my last entry on a non-O multi-entry, so the last valid stamp is a Thai entry on about 9th September, and the visa is now expired. I understand from the British Embassy webpage that the old passport might not be returned to me with the new passport (or it might?) so how does that work with exiting the country for a visa run in early December? As I will only be able to present a new, empty passport.

Is this likely to be a problem, or is it that I will get my old passport back with the new one, and I can exit on that one and get the new visa in the new passport?

TIA,

Mark...

You should get your old passport back as your current permitted to stay stamp must be transferred into your new passport and copies of both provided to Immigration. Those without a passport to show are expected to have a police report to present. I believe they will give your passport back - and you then visit immigration to get the stamp transferred. No cost but a form to fill out and copies to make.

I renewed my British passport a few times at the British Embassy in BKK , I always got my old book back , went to get my visa transfered at immigration and was told it was not neccessary , just take both books when you have your visa renewed , no problems .

I renewed my British passport a few times at the British Embassy in BKK , I always got my old book back , went to get my visa transfered at immigration and was told it was not neccessary , just take both books when you have your visa renewed , no problems .

Immigration cannot transfer a visa, as is issued by embassy/consulate abroad. They can only transfer permission to stay/extension of stay/re-entry permit stamps (which they have issued).

Edited by thaiphoon

Hi,

just want to make sure i have got this right. I have a 1 year non-imm 'O' that expires at the end of october. I intend doing my last 3 month visa run to Singapore just before that, so i will get 3 months when i get back to BKK airport. Because my passport only has 1 or 2 pages left, i then intend going to the UK embassy and getting a new passport.

The Visas will run out at the end of october, so presumably that doesnt need to be transferred to the new passport. But how about the little square entry stamp that says the date i arrive and the date i have to leave the country (and the plane i arrived on) ? Does that have to be transferred to the new passport, or when i next leave the country in January can i just give the immgration people in BKK airport my old and new passport and that will be ok ?

Thanks

When you get your new passport you will need to go to local immigration office. They will transfer your permission to stay stamp to your new passport. You cannot exit the country if your arrival stamp is in a passport that has expired/been cancelled. Immigration cannot transfer your visa because it was issued by embassy/consulate abroad. You would use both passports at immigration until your visa expires.

Edited by thaiphoon

Thanks, very helpful.

How about my Thai 5 year driving licence ? The new ones have my passport number on, so after i get a new passport it would not be the same. could that cause a problem if the police demand to see my passport and driving licence ? Or should i get a new driving licence ?

anyone any experience ?