webfact

PURCHASE PROJECT

Suspects found for dodgy health deals

By PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

SAMATCHA HUNSARA

THE NATION.

Published on October 8, 2009

Witthaya and doctors group say people behind orders identified

Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai said yesterday a suspect had been identified in regard to irregularities in the planned procurement of medical devices under the Thai Khemkhaeng stimulus package.

The Rural Doctors Society has handed the prime minister a list of at least four politicians it claims were involved in the irregularities.

Witthaya said: "I already know who was behind this scandal - the ministry committee investigating irregularities in the procurement under the Thai Khemkhaeng project will reveal more details next week.

"I have taken my shirt off already and am ready to fight to the last to prove this issue," he said.

Witthaya said he had ordered Dr Seri Hongyok, chair of the ministry's fact-finding committee, to ask rural hospital directors to list all medical items they needed but were not provided by the ministry, and devices they didn't need that had been provided by the ministry.

The process would take until next week, when he is expected to reveal more details on the irregularities.

"Those involved .... must be punished if the committee finds them guilty, even if they were involved in just the preparatory process," the minister said. "If they cannot be [legally] punished I believe they will face social sanctions."

Seri confirmed preliminary findings had uncovered procurement irregularities for six pieces of medical equipment and the committee was now investigating the background to these deals.

Reports that the committee of inquiry had confirmed some senior health officials had ordered some overpriced medical devices be put on the purchase list were not true, Seri said. No committee had leaked this information and he had asked committees to withhold details from the media until they had reported to the acting permanent secretary.

Rural Doctors Society chairman Kriangsak Watcharanukulkiet urged PM Abhisit Vejjajiva to review Public Health Ministry procurements under the Thai Khemkhaeng project, especially the cost of items he said had increased 30 percent over market prices.

He also reported four to five names to Abhisit, including politicians from the Democrat and Bhum Jai Thai parties he said were involved in medical device procurement irregularities.

He did not detail whether these people were in the Public Health Minister's former staff, ministerial advisory teams or Bhum Jai Thai Party politicians.

"Based on current evidence, we can't be sure it can be linked to the politicians," he said. "But we can't let this project continue without transparency, as it is worth a lot of money."

++++++++

An ongoing investigation has found the following irregularities in the Public Health Ministry's Bt86 billion project.

1. Some items listed for purchase are unnecessary. While it is set to buy 38 chemistry analysers at Bt3million apiece, hospitals say they can get such devices for free upon agreeing to buy solutions from private companies. The project also plans to buy 800 unnecessary UV fans and 16 CBC automated devices.

2. Specifications for many items appear to favour certain suppliers. For example, the project proposes buying volume-, blood pressure- and time-controlled respirators with a vital capacity system. Experts say only one supplier has such a device on offer. Narrow specifications also surround the 3-gas vaporisers and central monitors.

3. The project lists 46 types of medical devices that health stations must choose for their upgrading to tambon hospitals. If forced to select from the list, these medical facilities feel they will not be able to get what they need.

4. Some items under the project are clearly overpriced. For example, the project states a UV fan costs Bt40,000 but such a device is now available in the market for between Bt5,000 and Bt6,000.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/08

A common incidence in most countries. I hope the newspapers will follow this story up. That could change the behaviour of these ignorant cheaters and a chance for the PM and crew to show he is a honest leader if he cares about this waste of taxpayers money and abuse of public healthcare budget.

Just a dream I guess......!?

m

A common incidence in most countries. I hope the newspapers will follow this story up. That could change the behaviour of these ignorant cheaters and a chance for the PM and crew to show he is a honest leader if he cares about this waste of taxpayers money and abuse of public healthcare budget.

Just a dream I guess......!?

m

Hi miruph

Maybe not... I suspect (hope) this PM would actually like to clean up this sort of endemic corruption. He certainly has a long list of matters to tend to -- of which this is but one.The real question is will he be permitted to do so??

This may well be a dream on his part ..... I wish him the best.