Where is Our Rain?

I had a big new lake in front of my house yesterday.... Now gone though... so is a lot of soil from my garden! :)

It's quite amazing how high the tides are, apparently some beach front resorts in Maenam area having big problems... with the waves & sand.

There was sand on the area at the end of Soi 4 (traffic lights ) into Grand Sea's offices. A waitress said it is worst towards Bo phut.

In Nanton, late this morning water lapping over the sea wall.... but waves higher & stronger in Maenam & Ban Tai beaches.

definitely not boating weather!

Edited by samuijimmy

... on time for the winter monsoon or "rainy& cool" season, today!

Today first day I realized the wind direction has changed, coming in form the south-east at chaweng beach.

As the south is flooded and more flash floods and flood warnings are given by the TMD

Satellite Picture:

hardest hit till now is Yala Province:

The Nation:

Expect a couple of wet weeks to come and some flooding, saw the Road Department out there to

control some of the flooding that occurred on some parts of the roads on the island.

Edited by Samuian

:) Some Samuian ! It's the North East Monsoon which the Chinese used to sail their cargo junks and trade as far as Sumatra. With your concept of the South China Sea weather, having a South East Monsoon and then the South West Monsoon in April, no one would be able to sail South ! Duuuuuhhh

These are the current & forecast wind direction & speed.

here

or

Thai Met

The wind will now be blowing in 3 different directions.

Contradictory ?

Not really. If you look at the synoptic charts we have a belt of Low pressure areas moving across the Gulf right to left, so the winds

are swinging around anti-clockwise. The direction will vary according to the time.

The NE Monsoon has kicked in at last. :)

One sunny week coming according to windguru....

I knew that for my arrival in Samui the monsoon would have stopped :) ......

actually it was me that brought the sun. i just replanted my lawn for the 3rd time. every time i put grass down, the sun comes out and fries it.

One sunny week coming according to windguru....

I knew that for my arrival in Samui the monsoon would have stopped :) ......

actually it was me that brought the sun. i just replanted my lawn for the 3rd time. every time i put grass down, the sun comes out and fries it.

Well you might be lucky :D it could have rained & washed it away.OK going to wash the car now :D

• 2 weeks later...
i was looking forward to some heavy rains by the end of this week, but now windguru has scaled back it's predictions a lot

http://windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=121272

i wonder if there are any rainfall statistics for this season so far? seems like we must be about 10% or normal.

Try This Steve, I've seen a graph, will try & find it.

I heard some "bar talk" last night with someone saying there are big storms arriving this weekend. can anyone shed any further info on this or is this the usual claptrap?

The forecast was as such 2 days ago Carmine, but it has changed now.Have a look at link in post #48 or Windguru.

:D Some Samuian ! It's the North East Monsoon which the Chinese used to sail their cargo junks and trade as far as Sumatra. With your concept of the South China Sea weather, having a South East Monsoon and then the South West Monsoon in April, no one would be able to sail South ! Duuuuuhhh

Sorry Sir, made a mistake there, as I am not infallible.

The audience surely be thankful for this important correction,

now we know how the Chinese got to Sumatra.

By the way, which storm system was called "Duuuuuuhhh"?

However, that it hasn't rained much yet, doesn't mean there won't be any rains!

The annual water supply might just be around the corner, if it won't rain...... :)

Satellite pics don't show anything much promising at the time.

A heavy drought, could bring another devastating blow for the Tourism Industry on Samui.

It has been an unusual November in Samui. In the 10 years I have been here, there have been "below average" rains, but not quite so below as this year.

Remember, though, the numbers you read regarding rainfall are averages and just because this year is low, over time the numbers will correct to reflect that November is traditionally the wettest month in the year.

I wonder how many tourists will tell others back home how the reports of lots of rain usually falling this month are greatly exaggerated and I wonder if that will have a knock-on effect next year at this time. You might have a lot of people getting very wet next year, which must be good for merchants.

It has been an unusual November in Samui. In the 10 years I have been here, there have been "below average" rains, but not quite so below as this year.

Remember, though, the numbers you read regarding rainfall are averages and just because this year is low, over time the numbers will correct to reflect that November is traditionally the wettest month in the year.

I wonder how many tourists will tell others back home how the reports of lots of rain usually falling this month are greatly exaggerated and I wonder if that will have a knock-on effect next year at this time. You might have a lot of people getting very wet next year, which must be good for merchants.

Good point...i think we can expect a decent tourist November next year!