Bts Skywalk

petedk

A couple of days ago I had to go from Siam Discovery Center to World Central Plaza. The weather was reasonably cool so I decided to try the new BTS skywalk.

I walked from Siam Discovery Center and thought to myself " Wow! For once the Thai authorities have done a good job".

I could walk freely without thinking about broken stones, holes (and twisted ankles), motorbikes, parked cars and street vendors etc. I was enjoying the walk but just before arriving at World Central Plaza I saw that they were building some kind of stage or platform. This stage blocks most of the skywalk forcing people to walk in a single line.

What on earth are the planners thinking of? There is plenty of room to make a stage. Why force people to pass in a single line? I can imagine the chaos when the sky walk becomes popular.

Maybe this is also happening on other parts of the skywalk. I don't know. I hope not.

This project was neither conceived of nor paid for by Government/Thai Authorities

Ok, maybe not the Thai Autorities but surely somebody is in charge of "planning" or maybe that word doesn't exist here.

It's just a pity to destroy something that could be good.

These street and sidewalk vendors should be swept out of the city.

Leave them alone ! - they just want to make a living - there's no unemployment/welfare payments in this country.

Better sell things than starve, or become muggers.

If you don't like them - one can always shop in BIG C. (Put $$$ into the pockets of the ChineseThai elites).

I like to buy my newpapers from the wizzened shoeless 80 yr old little fella on my street who staggers along Wireless Rd.

<Same heartlessness was expressed here about the beach massage girls and trinket sellers in Phuket - "Glad that lot are off the beach, post-tsunami" .....who are probably now not able to feed their kids. Exactly same same happened on bali after the Kuta bomb>

Very ugly farang attitudes expressed on this site sometimes - ironically, towards the poorest in Thai society.

(talking about the street vendors and alike totally, TOTALLY, ABSOLUTE TOTALLY blocking pedestrian walk)...

well, ok...what are we going to do with these annoying merchants. (So that we can walk unimpeded)

Send them ...somewhere?

Back to drought-y Isaan - from whence they came?

...."Let them eat cake" (M Antoinette)

I can sympathize with those trying to make a living. They are more than free to do so outside city limits. If they want to make use of city areas though, they need to either start paying rent or taxes.

:o

dear oooh dear ... OF COURSE we two won't have ANY legislative solution for that kinda "problem"!

And - furthermore - I fear, Thai politics and/or Bkk politicians don't care at all.

... it might unfortunately end like ... this was my 2satang comment about a not-amusing, never-changing Bkk-fact.

Leave them alone ! - they just want to make a living - there's no unemployment/welfare payments in this country.

Yes, I agree. I don't complain about the vendors, because they are self-sufficently earning a living.

"I can sympathize with those trying to make a living. They are more than free to do so outside city limits. If they want to make use of city areas though, they need to either start paying rent or taxes."

Actually, they are paying to use that space. They pay BMA and local officials who line their own pockets.

Edited by kat

If you don't like them - one can always shop in BIG C. (Put $$$ into the pockets of the ChineseThai elites).

I like to buy my newpapers from the wizzened shoeless 80 yr old little fella on my street who staggers along Wireless Rd.

<Same heartlessness was expressed here about the beach massage girls and trinket sellers in Phuket - "Glad that lot are off the beach, post-tsunami" .....who are probably now not able to feed their kids. Exactly same same happened on bali after the Kuta bomb>

Very ugly farang attitudes expressed on this site sometimes - ironically, towards the poorest in Thai society.

Hi Moog

I'll have to agree with you on this one, they can be irritating but they need to make a living, there is no social welfare system in LOS, I'm from Denmark and here you will be looked after by the welfare system, I feel sorry for the Thais people who doesn't have this kind of security.

If anyone is really serious about this, then I suggest first rallying for tax payment from the richest and against any govt's policies that waive debts for these "Phoo dee teen daeng." The vendors should then be housed in currently haunted spaces in buildings with govt's help. These indoor markets should help to enliven the huanted buildings.

Edited by bangkokian

"I can sympathize with those trying to make a living. They are more than free to do so outside city limits. If they want to make use of city areas though, they need to either start paying rent or taxes."

Actually, they are paying to use that space.  They pay BMA and local officials who line their own pockets.

*sigh of relief* All good then.

:o

If anyone is really serious about this, then I suggest first rallying for tax payment from the richest and against any govt's policies that  waive  debts for these "Phoo dee teen daeng."  The vendors should then be housed in currently haunted spaces in  buildings with govt's help. These indoor markets should help to enliven the huanted buildings.

do you seriously think it would be done or even takien into consideration? :D

I bet the chance is same as if for following suggestion: local government or whatever concerned authoritie SHOULD appoint you as their advisor in these matters. :o

One thing i respect about Thai people. Is the fact they dont feel sorry for themselves. They go out and make a living. Selling whatever or making and selling whatever. There is a guy near KSR who makes bags and hats out of beer/coke cans. Genius.Ok. Maybe tacky but he saw an opportunity and went for it. Fair fukcing play. If it was the UK. People would be milking the system. Respect to the Thais.

I guess the OP doesn't even realized he's been making a complaint. It might be just human nature to moan all the time. I have always loved walking in the streets of BKK. Gives me such peace of mind.

Do people complain about trees and stones when they walk in the mountains? :o

I don't think that Thais even stride along the streets in the same way that Farangs do here - - they would see the BTS skywalk under the tracks as plain silly.

"Why don't I just take the skytrain? What would I want to walk for - especially if I have to hurry?"

(Or take a bus if they can't afford skytrain)

If they are on the sidewalks- its precisely to buy munchies from those vendors, with their dangerous woks of bubbling oil, (or buy a new hair brush)

Shambolic street life is one issue in which they won't be persuaded that the Farang way is best !!

Edited by The_Moog